Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
invisiblue
CF Newbie

Need halp, starting up.

Hello guys, I have a 2003 Grand Am SE 6 cyl 3.1-4, cant remember, 4door. My car lately has not been starting up very well. It usually works fine with the cold/weather conditions. My car when I start it up, has a little bit of a hard vibrating feeling, and when it starts to descend RPM to like, relax or w/e cars do after being on, it starts to feel like it's going to die, so it revs up higher again, and tries to descent again. A few times, it has died completely, I go to warm it up, and I come back out and it's off, in which point I have no choice but to try to drive it. When I accelerate, or put it in any gear, it jumps around, I push my petal down, and it does nothing for a second, then just kinda boosts, then stops responding again, then jumps again, until after a while it goes away, and everything is fine as if there were no problems. My car has roughly 112,000 miles, it might need new spark plugs, and needs some coolant. However it seems to only have troubles when it is wet out, as in medium-heavy rain and starting it up after the storm has passed. IMO, I think it's either water in the fuel line, misfiring of the spark plugs, or some unknown coolant related error lol.

On a completely different note, hello, my name is John, and I know absolutely nothing about cars, I sincerely appreciate whoever can help me. I should probally go to a mechanic, but not everyone is rich. I have some people that can help me, but they refuse to diagnose my car, they will help me though, when there is a possible problem to face. I only ask what your, probally more knowledgeable ideas are, thank you entirely for any help I recieve.
invisiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
auredo
CF Newbie

Need halp, startin' up

Definitely a tune up, but you might look into cleaning the throttle body, and check out the vacuum connections. Good Luck
auredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

I would also be interested in knowing what trouble codes are stored in the car's ecm
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

when you say it needs coolant, has it been loosing some, because those engines are notorious for eating head gaskets, and it is possible that that could be contributing to your problems. Is there any foam or froth in the oil? any sign of oil in the coolant?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

I wasn't aware of the GM 3.4's having chronic head gasket issues but it really doesn't surprise me. I do know the 3800 series 2's has serious issues when GM started using Dexcool.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
I wasn't aware of the GM 3.4's having chronic head gasket issues but it really doesn't surprise me. I do know the 3800 series 2's has serious issues when GM started using Dexcool.

really it seems to be more intake gasket issues than head gaskets on the gm 60deg v6, but i've seen a few head gaskets, too...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblue
Hello guys, I have a 2003 Grand Am SE 6 cyl 3.1-4, cant remember, 4door. My car lately has not been starting up very well. It usually works fine with the cold/weather conditions. My car when I start it up, has a little bit of a hard vibrating feeling, and when it starts to descend RPM to like, relax or w/e cars do after being on, it starts to feel like it's going to die, so it revs up higher again, and tries to descent again. A few times, it has died completely, I go to warm it up, and I come back out and it's off, in which point I have no choice but to try to drive it. When I accelerate, or put it in any gear, it jumps around, I push my petal down, and it does nothing for a second, then just kinda boosts, then stops responding again, then jumps again, until after a while it goes away, and everything is fine as if there were no problems. My car has roughly 112,000 miles, it might need new spark plugs, and needs some coolant. However it seems to only have troubles when it is wet out, as in medium-heavy rain and starting it up after the storm has passed. IMO, I think it's either water in the fuel line, misfiring of the spark plugs, or some unknown coolant related error lol.

On a completely different note, hello, my name is John, and I know absolutely nothing about cars, I sincerely appreciate whoever can help me. I should probally go to a mechanic, but not everyone is rich. I have some people that can help me, but they refuse to diagnose my car, they will help me though, when there is a possible problem to face. I only ask what your, probally more knowledgeable ideas are, thank you entirely for any help I recieve.

Sounds like a dirty intake / IAC issue as well as possible culmination of factors. I would most DEF. check/clean the IAC. IAC is Idle Air Control and it is a major cause for idle issues just like you're having. The sensor can be screwing up (simple problem) and creating running conditions to where you not knowing anything about cars might think there is something major going on. You might need a full tune up too and to have the coolant issue diagnosed by someone in the know as far as it's normalcy!

IAC issues are totally intermittent unless the sensor is cooked.....you will typically improve as you drive and warm up. I would not know without monitoring the sensor and looking at the car, just a strong suggestion!
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote