Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast

Where are my rotary beheathern?

Come on! I know your floating around there....
Old 02-09-2005, 03:04 AM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Impedance
Come on! I know your floating around there....

We all have SBC or SBF Rx-7's

But really, My girlfriend owns a 94 Touring RX-7 with a swapped 20b (only mods are it's ported and has a 2.5" exhaust, N/A too). It's a fun car, the reason the 13b-rew isnt in there is because it blew up (damn apex seals) at 97,000 miles. She talked me out of swapping an LS-1 in it, she wanted to keep it rotary...

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 02-09-2005 at 03:06 AM.
thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:35 AM   #3
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Don't own a rotary powered vehicle, but love them!

My brother has a '93 RX-7, and I love his car. And speaking of the 20B, I was at my local (as in, the only one in my state) rotary performance shop, and they were installing a 20B into an RX-3 wagon!!

Talk about your ultimate sleeper!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast

a station wagon with skinnies is by no means a sleeper!

i was going to do the SBC route but then the things grew on me...
got a friend doing an Olds Small Block convert though into a 1st gen. Using a Granda Rear End to keep things happy. There is another guy around my parts. havent meant him yet but my buddy knows him well. his TII was breaking loose on the dyno! 30 psi will do that...things a GAS HOG.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Where are my rotary beheathern? Come on! I know your floating around there....

They're all too dizzy to answer.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I've had an R100, RX2, 2 RX3s, 2 first gen RX7s and a 2nd gen RX7. I've crewed on an IMSA RS RX3 team that also ran a rotary powered formula car in IRDC, and on an SCCA pro Rallye team that ran an RX2. I built the ported, Holley 4bbl equipped single dizzy 12A in this 13 second 1/4 mile, autocrossing RX3 I owned for a couple years:

And my second first gen had a heavily ported 13B from an RX4 in it. Loud as hell, and pretty torquey.

My 2nd gen was a Sport model, and was my autocross car for a year, with the rather simple suspension setup based on a national champion. It won it's class for the season, beating outright a number of RX7s and 944s with trick multi-adjustible suspensions.

Then the engine died, and I found (this was 1993) that it was going to cost more to rebuild it to stock specs than I had, and after so many years of racing rotaries, I realized that using a used rotary engine was not a viable option.

So I built this

For less than the cost of rebuilding the stock 145 hp 13B, I built this nearly 400 hp and 400 lb ft of torque Ford 302. I moved the battery to the well behind the passenger seat, removed the stock oil cooler, and put in a Griffin aluminum radiator. The engine sat entirely behind the front wheel centerline, and the weight distribution actually improved to 49/51 f/r! Handling improved, and yet the total weight of the car was still less than a stock FC TII (2720 vs 2800).

I've gotten a lot of flack from some rotary purists who think that it automatically made teh car nose heavy, or that even though it was light and balanced, a rotary could've been lighter yet. Well, yes, it could've been lighter yet, but that doesn't stop this car from being balanced and light enough, massive fun, and VERY inexpensive and reliable (how long does the average 400 hp rotary engine last? I've ben told if I wanted a V8 car I shoulld have gotten a Mustang or Caamro. Well, I've HAD both of those. For the money, a V8 RX7 looks better, is lighter, handles better, has a better chassis, better ergonomics, better build quality, better brakes, etc. Guys that think the V8 RX7 is no better than a Mustang or Camaro really think poorly of RX7s other than the engine, I must say.

Anyhow, if I weren't going to be getting rid of the Fiat in my sig this spring, I had been contemplating putting a 13B turbo into it. Would be loads of fun!

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:36 PM   #7
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast

looks damn clean. you like those rims alot though dont you? ive heard about the other 7 on GRM before. Right now i am between parting my other 7 out, rebuilding it or SBC it. Really depends right now. might jsut part it out and save the money til i decide. Seeing its missing alot of parts from working on the TII so i might get a convert and do a TII swap with that. I have extensive plans for a 4 rotor but i seeing i have yet to get into my CNC classses yet, that will wait. Based completely off the 787b. Gotta love internet technical files!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #8
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast

oh and where did you get the balck lip on the front bumper from?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
looks damn clean. you like those rims alot though dont you?

Actually, no, the wheels were bought when the car was still faded silver (as you can see) because they were inexpensive. Progressive said they would make any offset in their 2 piece wheels at no extra charge. So they were set up at +25mm offset. I had actually wanted billet Hammer wheels, but Centerline said they couldn't make them hub-centric for the RX7 application. the wheel choice is not my first choice on this type of car (fine on a custom mini truck). But I was on a budget when i went autocrossing, and didn't have the money to change them out when I installed the V8.

The lip on the bumper is a part I bought from JC Whitney, of all places, back in '92 when i got the car originally. It was a universal urethane lip spoiler that was trim-to-fit, with fitted end caps. Unfortunately, they dont' carry it anymore, and I can't find the name of the company that actually made it. it's about the most perfect lip spoiler I've ever seen for the S4 FC.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #10
revv_head
CF Newbie

Rotarys might revv high but that just means you have to push it harder to get max power rotarys dont like revving at 9000rpm you can wreck the engine in 5 minutes doing that in a rotary yet in any car a rotary revvs high but it only likes revving high at mabe 5500 6500 max weras a piston you get max power at 4000-5800rpm which can be easily done for a time besides i get my 1990 celica up to 8500 and i feel it loses power from when it goes past 6700 rpm so you dont need a full 9000rpm
revv_head is offline   Reply With Quote