Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
MakeItRain
CF Enthusiast

Car + Living in a city = bankruptcy

Why is keeping a car in a major city the most expensive thing on earth? I quess I can only vouch for Boston and DC. The parking tickets are absurdly expensive and insurance companies over charge urban customers to the point where it seems criminal. I realize the easy answer is to not have a car in the city and rely on public transportation. That is simple not acceptable in my book. I can't live without a car! Do any urban car owners out there have any reasonable advice/tricks that you have found helpfully and could pass down?

MakeItRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeItRain
Why is keeping a car in a major city the most expensive thing on earth? I quess I can only vouch for Boston and DC. The parking tickets are absurdly expensive and insurance companies over charge urban customers to the point where it seems criminal. I realize the easy answer is to not have a car in the city and rely on public transportation. That is simple not acceptable in my book. I can't live without a car! Do any urban car owners out there have any reasonable advice/tricks that you have found helpfully and could pass down?

Here in the UK it's a nightmare, too. I don't live in a city, but do live fairly close to London, so I know what it's like. Here they charge you £8 just for driving into the city centre (congestion charge!), and plan on extending the zone some to most of South London! In suburban areas of London the Government want to impose a £500 per year penalty for parking your 4x4, too.....Where the Government will swear blind that it's due to global warming and to save the world from pollution etc etc, we all really know that it's about lining the pockets of our Governments big cats...

Oh, and for the record, there seems to be more buses in London than ever before...and each one produce the emissions of three average family cars! That's not including all the other London traffic (there's always a traffic jam!)

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:

Well you can always keep the car for the weekends and take public transportation to work and such.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
MakeItRain
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Here in the UK it's a nightmare, too. I don't live in a city, but do live fairly close to London, so I know what it's like. Here they charge you 8 just for driving into the city centre (congestion charge!), and plan on extending the zone some to most of South London! In suburban areas of London the Government want to impose a 500 per year penalty for parking your 4x4, too.....Where the Government will swear blind that it's due to global warming and to save the world from pollution etc etc, we all really know that it's about lining the pockets of our Governments big cats...

Oh, and for the record, there seems to be more buses in London than ever before...and each one produce the emissions of three average family cars! That's not including all the other London traffic (there's always a traffic jam!)

Kind of off topic but can you compare the US and UK car markets at all. I only have US car market experience. The reason I ask is the more I read and see regarding the European car market the more jealous I get. I also thought that the US imported almost all the best cars in the world promptly but it seems that a lot of the good car from Europe actaully take a long time to make it over or don't make it all. I was watching this video clip about the Mercedes-Benz GL http://www.sema.carcrazycentral.com/cc_news_events_int.aspx?id=963&pageNum=1
(side note: this website is actually pretty sweet for behind the scenes info on upcoming car shows, new concept cars, etc) and I was amazed that a car this cool doesn't get released simultaneously in Europe and the US. Especially since diesel fuel is now prevelent US (Though I realize this particular car is in the US now but I'm merely using it as an example).
Old 10-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
MakeItRain
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
Well you can always keep the car for the weekends and take public transportation to work and such.

Agreed and that is usually my strategy but every now and then I bring the car out the week days and that is when you are exposed to severe risk. For instance my girl friend borrowed and parked in street spot that became embassy only parking between 2 and 4pm. Definitely her fault fault for not ready the signs but the ticket was $100............THAT'S F*#@ING INSANE!!!!!!!! $40 would be a lot more reasonable and it would still cause me plenty of pain, which is clearly the goal of the people in charge of parking enforcement in DC
Old 10-31-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
fudge
let's fighting love

I just wish I was driving 10 years ago, I wouldn't have half the problems and expense as I have now!!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

There's not much advice to give except if you find a spot in an area where there are no other cars, chances are you can not park there. I learned the hard way too in NYC, because the signs can be very confusing.

Secondly, if you can't find a spot, I'd go to a garage. If you get a garage about 10-15 blocks away from an unpopular area you generally pay a lot less.

As for european cars not coming to US, I think it's mostly because US has a lot of really retarded standards for cars we try to enforce and it takes some cars years to gain exemption, and I'm sure others don't even bother.

For example, lotus elise came out in 2001 in Europe and it didn't come here till 2005, because the head lights are too tall or something.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Agreed and that is usually my strategy but every now and then I bring the car out the week days and that is when you are exposed to severe risk. For instance my girl friend borrowed and parked in street spot that became embassy only parking between 2 and 4pm. Definitely her fault fault for not ready the signs but the ticket was $100............THAT'S F*#@ING INSANE!!!!!!!! $40 would be a lot more reasonable and it would still cause me plenty of pain, which is clearly the goal of the people in charge of parking enforcement in DC
I would agree too, however, from my experience with public transport, during rush hour times you needn't try getting a seat anywhere, plus there's the heat in packed trains and buses etc. If I didn't get my train travel free I'd probably drive to work as it's cheaper and I can listen to Meat Loaf in the car without the knowledge that everybody else can hear him, too lol. Prices on public transport here in the UK are silly, too!

As for the car markets, I don't care for French cars much, although we have a Citroen (it was stupidly cheap!), but German cars are readilly available even if they do usually cost a premium over other European motors! US cars have yet to succeed here in my opinion too, for example the Chrysler Neon was a joke in comparisom to other European equivelents when it was first introduced in 1996. Things have improved with Chevrolet taking over Daewoo in 2005 and other cars such as the new Mustang become all the more common on our roads. I think due to the cost of motoring here in the UK, there's never going to be a massive calling for LARGE American cars such as the Challenger, Mustang and 300C, even if they are vastly cheaper than European equivelents over here!

Hope that answered your question!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 10-31-2006, 11:26 PM   #9
MakeItRain
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I would agree too, however, from my experience with public transport, during rush hour times you needn't try getting a seat anywhere, plus there's the heat in packed trains and buses etc. If I didn't get my train travel free I'd probably drive to work as it's cheaper and I can listen to Meat Loaf in the car without the knowledge that everybody else can hear him, too lol. Prices on public transport here in the UK are silly, too!

As for the car markets, I don't care for French cars much, although we have a Citroen (it was stupidly cheap!), but German cars are readilly available even if they do usually cost a premium over other European motors! US cars have yet to succeed here in my opinion too, for example the Chrysler Neon was a joke in comparisom to other European equivelents when it was first introduced in 1996. Things have improved with Chevrolet taking over Daewoo in 2005 and other cars such as the new Mustang become all the more common on our roads. I think due to the cost of motoring here in the UK, there's never going to be a massive calling for LARGE American cars such as the Challenger, Mustang and 300C, even if they are vastly cheaper than European equivelents over here!

Hope that answered your question!

Yeah that helps!

Regarding music.....don't worry I won't tell anyone about your secret obsession with Meat Loaf!

Old 11-01-2006, 05:32 AM   #10
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

buddy of mine who lives in seattle says its not worth it to own a car... granted he lives 3 blocks away from his job... but if you live in a dense urban city, and live close, nothing of necessity is far away
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:17 AM   #11
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
buddy of mine who lives in seattle says its not worth it to own a car... granted he lives 3 blocks away from his job... but if you live in a dense urban city, and live close, nothing of necessity is far away
is for me, my place of work is 4 miles away on the other side of the city!!!
and the city is dense enough as it is!!! (not as much as london though)

Cliffy, i thought the congestion charge was a fiver to get into London???

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
is for me, my place of work is 4 miles away on the other side of the city!!!
and the city is dense enough as it is!!! (not as much as london though)

Cliffy, i thought the congestion charge was a fiver to get into London???
Nope, it was changed to 8 at the begining of the year or the end of last year...I forget

Old 11-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #13
ChromeDome
CF Enthusiast

I too live in DC and completely agree-- one of my friends has about $500 worth of tickets just in the past six months!