Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Synthetic Oil!

So my first oil change on the new LeSabre is next month, and I'm thinking of switching from conventional to synthetic oil. As with any other change in maintenance that I do on this vehicle, I make sure that I have done sufficient research to justify the decision. Therefore, I have some questions for you all.

Before I do though, a little bit of information about my particular engine.

It is a 3800 Series II, 3.8L OHV 90 degree V6, developing 205 hp and 230 lb.-ft. of torque. This engine, though it has undergone many substantial updates and revisions, has origins that can be traced as far back as the 1960s. It's mechanical condition is excellent, no oil burning or leaking whatsoever on conventional motor oil, the dipstick reads just as full as the last day the oil was changed. Oil and filter changes were done regularly and consistently at approximately 5000 mile intervals with what I am assuming to be conventional motor oil. The car now has approximately 130,300 miles on it. Oil pressure reads fine from just after startup to when I shut the car off.

I understand that synthetic is supposed to have an increased lifespan over conventional oil, but even so I plan on changing the oil and filter at 3000 mile/3 month intervals anyway.

Now, for my questions.

Most importantly, will this oil work properly on my engine? I've heard of only a few select vehicles that shouldn't use synthetic oil, and I want to make sure mine isn't one of them.

What is the best brand that I could easily find at a local auto shop such as AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts? An absolute best as well as a best buy for the cost would be helpful.

I have heard that due to synthetic oil's composition it has the capability of bonding to cylinder walls, thereby decreasing engine wear upon starting the vehicle. Is this true?

I have also heard that due to it's composition it makes it easier to slip past the seals and burn, increasing oil consumption. I have also heard many saying this to be completely untrue, but just to check I will ask.

I have heard also that synthetic oils work best with a synthetic-specific oil filter. Is this true, and if so what is the absolute best/best for the cost?

Should I decide to change from conventional to synthetic, will I notice any changes in the oil pressure reading? Is there anything else I should watch for?

Any personal favorites as far as synthetic oil and/or the oil filter that goes along with it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

You shouldn't switch to synthetic considering it has been using dyno oil all its life.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

from what i heard Mobil 1 synthetic is among the best.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
Valter
CF Enthusiast

I cannot answer your question
"is this oil good for my engine"
because you did not say what oil it is.

I don't care if it's synthetic or mineral.
I care about its viscosity range and its API classification.

That's what you should focus yourself on. Changing it to synthetic will make your oil last longer and be less vulnerable to oxidation.

As far as changing from mineral into synthetic, you should (obviously) change the oil filter with it and you should be good to go.
200lb.ft@3000RPM

Valter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

I say change to mobil 1. Nothing bad will come from going to synethic after running dyno if the car has no already existing leaks. Do it if you really care about you car,
Old 11-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I agree with Valter. It's the viscosity that's the main issue, however, synthetic oil is usually alot thinner than mineral oil anyway, and given the mileage on your car, the last thing you wan is an oil that's too thin. As rule of thumb though, if the viscosity's correct, it really shouldn't matter too much...Just keep an eye on it!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:00 AM   #7
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

as far as I know, pretty much any regular car/truck engine can switch to a synthetic oil with no problems and with a bit more power let loose

Id say royal purple for the buick lol

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:02 AM   #8
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Well, upon switching to synthetic I was simply expecting to use the same 10W-30 classification that the car has been using thus far. Should I use a different type?

I've been hearing good things about Mobil 1 myself, so when I make the switch I believe that is the oil I will use.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 AM   #9
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

I use mobil 1 on all my cars, never had a problem, leaking burning any of that bs.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #10
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

you may develope leaks by switching to synthetic... why? as the engine goes throughout its life, it delvelopes leaks. but the conventional oil creates a seal that prevents the leaks from occuring, due to the small amounts of grime that conventional produces. the synthetic would then clean all of that natural sealent up, and could begin to leak...so my suggestion is that you dont...
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote