Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
fastpass
CF Newbie

Exclamation Drunk driving

I have been driving for a while now, and I have known at leat two people that I have known for a long time that have died because of drunk driving. This is a very serious crime and should not be taken lightly at all. We all know the effects it can take on your brain and how violent a crime it is when a loved one is murderd by a drunk driver.

There are many deaths worldwide because of drunk driving, but in the U.S. alone it is at an astronomical high. Check out these statistics:

Drunk driving is the nation's most frequently committed violent crime. (MADD, 1996)

Drunk driving deaths have reached a plateau. Preliminary alcohol-related traffic fatality statistics show that 16,652 people died on the roadways in 2001. (NHTSA, 2002)

An estimated 513,000 people are injured in alcohol-related crashes each year, an average of 59 people per hour or approximately one person every minute. (NHTSA, 2002)

An estimated three of every ten Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related traffic crash at some time in their lives. (NHTSA, 2000)

Americans rank drunk driving as their No. 1 highway safety concern. (Allstate-MADD survey, 1997)

Preliminary research for 2000 shows that alcohol-related crashes cost the public an estimated $114.7 billion annually -- this includes an estimated $63.9 billion lost in quality of life due to these crashes. (Ted Miller, 2002)

The societal costs of alcohol-related crashes average 80 cents per drink consumed. (Ted Miller, 1999)

Approximately 1.5 million drivers were arrested in 1999 for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. This is an arrest rate of one for every 121 licensed drivers in the United States. (NHTSA, 2000

We must realize the truth about alcohol and why we should at least assign a designated driver when at a open bar party, to not let your children or friends drive with someone that has been drinking, and wear your seat belt at all times.

It is very tragic that millions of people die from this catastrophic murderer. NOt only does it affect the driver, it affects the victims and the victims families. My deepest symathy goes out to those who have lost a loved one because of drinking while driving.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpass
...Approximately 1.5 million drivers were arrested in 1999 for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. This is an arrest rate of one for every 121 licensed drivers in the United States. (NHTSA, 2000...
Is it just me, or does that seem VERY high?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

thats just flat out ridiculous.I know someone who got a DUI. The thing is they never learn. They said they'd stop drinking cause this was a pretty serious DUI but it never changed them. Oh well when your headin back to prison don't expect me to pick up the phone when you call.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
fastpass
CF Newbie

Thumbs up It's you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Is it just me, or does that seem VERY high?
The number is that high actually. The truth is not stretched, just the facts.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:12 AM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
The truth is not stretched, just the facts

I agree. I have written many papers throughout highschool (and now college). I too have learned how to manipulate the facts. I notice that you have a lot of facts, you must have done a lot of research. I also noticed that none of your facts are up to date, one is even eight years old. I'm sure you could find a newer one. When you say something like
Quote:
Drunk driving deaths have reached a plateau
, which says to me that drunk driving has recently been becoming more of a problem, you need recent statistics. Whenever I do a research paper, I rarely use the most recent statistics, because there is a good chance that you will be able to find other, older statistics that prove your point better. I'm all for stopping drunk driving, but please don't stretch any facts when lecturing us. Alright, my rant is over. OH, One more thing, using MADD as a source when writing about DUI is like citing a KKK member when writing about the rise in minority violence.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:47 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

One of the dumbest crimes possible...just call a cab...I had a friend who was stoned/drunk, and at around 2:00am he was going to a park where we get together, on a little 50cc scooter, but still doing like 50-55km/h, and he takes a turn, as this is a pretty deserted road he was in the wrong lane, with tall grass around there, and 2 other friends, on a scooter also were going to look for him...they were on the proper side of the road, and BAM, the drunk guy was killed...he was found with a gun in his pocket
Old 11-16-2005, 04:32 AM   #7
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Wow. Thanks to your thread, I will never drink and drive again.

Seriously though....anyone who drinks and drives is a total idiot, so way to insult us.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:49 AM   #8
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Did you know in some countrys they put you in front of a firing squad if you get a DUI?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1/9-rally
Did you know in some countrys they put you in front of a firing squad if you get a DUI?
That's like something that would happen in Singapore--you can't even chew gum there