Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Buying a name

It seems to me, that nowadays, people are buying a name instead of a vehicle. Earlier today, a girl told me that a BMW had a V-8, so itís faster than any V-6 or V-4 (Iím not joking, thatís an actual quote). Why do people buy names? Because they have cash, they spend it just to know that they drive around a an outdated Ferrari, simply because itís red and has a ďhorseyĒ on the back and front hood.

WTF. Why donít people do their research? A tuned civic can take out a classic Ferrari. I was even more disgusted when I say this commercial where these parents buy a SUV, and the father opens the hood and shows his son the engine. ďSon, thereís only one thing you need to know. HEMI!Ē I nearly threw up

because someone can slap on a sticker, does that make the car faster? No. Even if there was an engine like the one above, it would still be lugging along 4500 pounds. Probably around 5500 with the passengers. People seem to like buying a name, regardless of what that nam entails. Itís even more present in the ducati 999r.

Itís a fast motorcycle, but you have to run the RPMs high, and itís still not as fast as a hayabusa or GSX R1000. Oh yeah, the ducati also costs 3 times as much as the R1000. Why buy a name. the only reason I can think of, is that people think they make better vehicles. And then, only people who donít know anything about cars will respect you. Those who actually know what HEMI stands for will laugh at you for wasting your money. Is that what people want? To play off ignorance? What gives?

The other day, I saw a Saleen mustang. I automatically turned my head until my neck almost snapped. But, as I got further down the road, I began to think about why I did. Itís a way overpriced car with a saleen sticker on it.

WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY? Theyíre paying for a name, not a car. I guess youíre playing off of peopleís ignorance, and if thatís what you want, then sure, go for it, but is it better to have a fast car or is it better to drive a black civic that does 10 second quarter miles and just know that youíre faster?
Old 02-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
b_DuB13
CF Enthusiast

very good point
many people fail to resist being blinded by labels....not much you can do about it. =/

PROJECT CAR:
1982 datsun 280zx
121,000 ish miles.
non turbo (for now)
3 speed auto (for now)
silver, black detail.
(pics soon)
b_DuB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
VMJYogi
CF Addict

Well first off all the girl didn't know what the hell she was talking about with the V-8 thing. Second of all in the HEMI commercial, its just an advertising thing to get people who dont know much about cars. And third, people buy Ferrari's not because they are fast but because they make beautiful cars that just look fast. It looks fast at a dead stop. They just like the name as well. Educated car enthusiasts have a better perspective of whats good and whats not good so we say damn that's stupid or i'd never get that car because we know the pros and cons of said actions. Other people see something for alot and think it must be nice because it costs so much, and in reality the things that do cost alot generally are worth it. Face it no civic could look like a Ferrari. No civic would have the Ferrari heritage and history to make its name standout in the crowd. Cause in the end a civic is a civic.

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

People who have the money generally buy cars such as Ferrari's because of the statement it makes. You see a Ferrari driving down the street, and you know it's someone rich sitting in there. High Profile people drive High Profile cars because they want to stand out. Also, so much care is put into building a Ferrari or other expensive cars. For example, most expensive cars, such as Bentley's, are hand-built. This craftsmanship takes precision, devotion, and A LOT of passion for building cars. Where as the Civic on the other hand is thrown on an assembly line, test drove, and sold. (That was a little exaggeration...) Plus, driving a Ferrari, let's say, is completely different than driving any other car. Just standing next to it, you can feel the attention to detail and perfection. It's just like buying cereal: Most of us buy the Post or Kelloggs brands because they are big companies and you trust them. However, there are always some people who buy the store brand (Jewel, Dominicks, etc.) just because they don't care enough about what cereal they eat to buy the more expensive brands.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:44 AM   #5
JaneiR36
CF Freak

I'd buy a name when and if I can afford one. And I'm not even going to try and justify it by "performance" or whatever. I still don't know enough about cars to make an educated decision based on that.

But think about it, really. If you're buying a car and you have basic requirements, how many cars out there do not satisfy them? You need to be contained safely and secured in a vehicle and you need to be transported from point A to point B and it needs to be able to last X number of years. When it comes down to it, most any car would get the job done. From then on out, whatever you reason is is pretty much up to you.

To me, some of the comparisons and such you're doing might as well be like someone doing upper level calculus in order to decide on which pair of jeans to buy. I have an extremely hard time believing that that many people would go into such detail.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:49 AM   #6
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
i would buy Porsche toilet paper if they made it just cuz
Old 02-09-2005, 03:53 AM   #7
carlos
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
i would buy Porsche toilet paper if they made it just cuz
i'm with you on that one. lol
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:08 AM   #8
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Because they have cash, they spend it just to know that they drive around a an outdated Ferrari, simply because itís red and has a ďhorseyĒ on the back and front hood.

If I had cash, by which you mean was rich, I would buy and outdated ferrari over a current civic. Heres an outdated ferrari:

and heres a current civic:

I dont care how modded the civic is, even if it looked like this (which is pretty damn ugly):

Even if neither cars had names nor reputations, i think after test driving both cars, even the civic supposedly modded enough to beat the ferrari, i would still take the ferrari.

I think all of this crap running around about modding cars is getting out of hand. Everyone keeps asking ridiculous questions like "Why would you buy an M3 when you can have a civic thats more powerful and cheaper!" Its a stupid question. If you can afford it, why wouldn't you buy a nicer, already fast car, DESIGNED to go fast, DESIGNED to look nice, and DESIGNED to take corners better?
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:24 AM   #9
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

All this talk about Ferraris and buying true performance cars over buying a name makes me think of an Italian coffee shop owner I talked to while visiting Florence, We were on the suject of italian supercars and he said to me

"look, in Italy, the Italians all praise the Ferraris and Maseratis, but always look down on Lamborghini" he said
I looked at him incredulously, "What are you talking about, everybody here loves Lamborghini!"
"Yes, we love them, but we always say that they are trying to be like Ferrari, a real sports car."
"Why would you do that?"
"We say this, so rich americans buy Ferraris, and leave the the Lamborghinis for the Italians!!"
I laughed and drank the last of my Cafe au Lait, and said goodby to him.

Of course, he spoke much more broken english then I put down, but if he spoke perect english I'm sure thats how he would say it.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
Low Impedance
CF Enthusiast

my 300 dollar 1st gen rx7 (now sold) is a great example of a cheap yet sweet ass car.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #11
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
All this talk about Ferraris and buying true performance cars over buying a name makes me think of an Italian coffee shop owner I talked to while visiting Florence, We were on the suject of italian supercars and he said to me

"look, in Italy, the Italians all praise the Ferraris and Maseratis, but always look down on Lamborghini" he said
I looked at him incredulously, "What are you talking about, everybody here loves Lamborghini!"
"Yes, we love them, but we always say that they are trying to be like Ferrari, a real sports car."
"Why would you do that?"
"We say this, so rich americans buy Ferraris, and leave the the Lamborghinis for the Italians!!"
I laughed and drank the last of my Cafe au Lait, and said goodby to him.

Of course, he spoke much more broken english then I put down, but if he spoke perect english I'm sure thats how he would say it.

That's what I mean, playing off of ignorance. In the end, it's all based upon what you want. If you want a faster car for a cheaper price than a ferrari, go for a z28 or something along those lines. It's faster, RWD and powerful. It all depends on what you want. Different strokes for different folks. Do you want to be adored by the large, but ignorant public, or the small and intelligent car people?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #12
JaneiR36
CF Freak

You assume it has to have jack squat with being "adored."

Same with the assumption about a "faster" car. It's just like the other person asked. Most of the time, in the US, where are you gonna go with it? And with your flashy car, Smokey is just waiting to ticket you, anyway.

The name continues to speak volumes more than any rationalization ever will, IMO.
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #13
Inygknok
El del Supra

well, my current gf is one of those "flashy" kind of girls. she loves to buy everything that comes from Gucci, Versace, and all of those people. i come from a poor lower medium class family, so im not used to any of that expensive stuff. still, ive always asked her why does she buy such expensive stuff, n she always tells me that its not just because they wear an expensive name, it just due to the "special designs" that they come with.

i guess ppl who "buy names", also buy other things that ONLY come included with those articles in particular. maybe those things do sound somewhat dumb to us lower class people, but think about it. those of us who just cant afford Vipers (like my dad in law), Ferraris, Rolls Royce, Gucci, Moncherries for every weekend, think about these things as dumb things or just unnecessary cuz we were raised to be thankful for wat we have (and if ur not thankful, ur just a rotten bastard). those ppl can afford those things, so let them. sure, those insane amounts of cash could be used for other more necessary things, but if ppl didnt buy Ferraris and Lamborghinis, then wat kinds of out-of-our-range cars will we hope to see on the streets every single day and break our necks looking at them while they drive past by for just 5 seconds?

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
That's what I mean, playing off of ignorance. In the end, it's all based upon what you want. If you want a faster car for a cheaper price than a ferrari, go for a z28 or something along those lines. It's faster, RWD and powerful. It all depends on what you want. Different strokes for different folks. Do you want to be adored by the large, but ignorant public, or the small and intelligent car people?

maybe, even though some of us would rather build a car than buy one off the rack, we ALSO love cars because we love them. I love F40s. I also love '63 250 GT berlinetta Lussos, even though they aren't any faster or built any better than many other cars I could actually afford. I like cars becaeu I LIKE them. Sometimes others like them, too. Sometimes, i'm the only one!

But, some people like to wtch theater, and some people like to be on stage. And amongst those who like to be on stage, there are those who like to be part of an ensemble, and those who like center stage. Apparently you're not one who likes to be center stage. Fine for you, but that doesn't mean, as you are implying, that those who DO like center stage are stupid.

I'm building my '63 Comet as a show car. that means it's a car that I'm building specifically becaeu it's a car *I* like (and not a popular year or model), but it's also supposed to be an eye catcher, meant to make people look at it, and maybe even "adore" it. According to you, that makes me a bad person, and that's horseshite.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
I think all of this crap running around about modding cars is getting out of hand. Everyone keeps asking ridiculous questions like "Why would you buy an M3 when you can have a civic thats more powerful and cheaper!" Its a stupid question. If you can afford it, why wouldn't you buy a nicer, already fast car, DESIGNED to go fast, DESIGNED to look nice, and DESIGNED to take corners better?

Because any assclown can buy off the rack. It takes skill and ingenuity to build something yourself, or make somehting from a lesser car, for less money. Or or even for the same money.

It's the same with making ANYTHING yourself. Building a computer yourself from parts YOU sourced rather than buying one already built. Like fabricationg your own deck chair rather than just buying one from a store, etc.

It's called a hobby for a reason, and its the reason we don't all own the same f*cking car. We get to buy OR build what we like, not what someone else thinks is the better choice.

And I think that hemi ad is hilarious! it's playing off the "manly" reasons to buy a vehicle, rather than the practical, family reasons, and it's FUNNY.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote