Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Power steering problem

My car is a 1994 Mitsubishi 3000gt SL dohc v6 3.0L. Just put a down payment and will pay in full soon to bring the car home. The problem I noticed with it is that as I was test driving it, the steering wheel keep jerking left to right at low speeds. But it becomes stable around 40+mph. Additional info that I got from the seller is it has been sitting outside his house for around 7 months doing nothing but gather rain acid, dust, and cob-webs. Also the car needed to be jumped due to a dead battery proving it hasnt been used in a while. Another thing I noticed is that the front wheels have been warped judging from the side as it drove past me. Oh the steering fluid was okay and may need to change or added. Thanks for the information.
=

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX
nightroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

It could maybe be that the tires are extremely unbalanced. Did you see them wobbling or the car shaking? the reason the jerking would go away at 40+mph if it was from the power steering would be that the speed sensitive steering kicks in and lowers the amount that it helps, so it lowers the amount that it jerks to almost nothing. If it isn't the tires then it would probably be wise to get a new power steering pump from an auto wrecker if its cheap. But wait for other peoples opinions first
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:28 AM   #3
nightroad
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
It could maybe be that the tires are extremely unbalanced. Did you see them wobbling or the car shaking? the reason the jerking would go away at 40+mph if it was from the power steering would be that the speed sensitive steering kicks in and lowers the amount that it helps, so it lowers the amount that it jerks to almost nothing. If it isn't the tires then it would probably be wise to get a new power steering pump from an auto wrecker if its cheap. But wait for other peoples opinions first

Okay thanks for the input.

3KGT

91 240sx se:

240SX
nightroad is offline   Reply With Quote