Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Bloodcraft
CF Newbie

got another stickshift question.

when im switching gears from lets say 3rd to 4th, my friend says I let off the clutch to slowly because the engine revs up high...but my dad said its fine to do that.. it sounds like my engines revving up everytime i shift cuz i have a slow left foot or im just used to it that way..kinda sounds funny though with my magnaflow exhaust...in reality should I start practicing not revving the engine when letting off the clutch? should I do it faster? im confused
Bloodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra

yes, u should do it a bit faster.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodcraft
when im switching gears from lets say 3rd to 4th, my friend says I let off the clutch to slowly because the engine revs up high...but my dad said its fine to do that.. it sounds like my engines revving up everytime i shift cuz i have a slow left foot or im just used to it that way..kinda sounds funny though with my magnaflow exhaust...in reality should I start practicing not revving the engine when letting off the clutch? should I do it faster? im confused

If you are still learning...it's fine. However as you get used to driving with a standard trans., one would assume you wont get the jerking or engine rev between gears. It should sound and feel smooth between shifts. The rpms should drop about 1000 and re-engage smoothly. Your feet will get used to the timing and it'll become second nature...especially with a car you drive every day.

Revving the engine to switch gears is a method to boost your speed faster...if done properly, it is how (at least it's how I do it) you can chirp the tires through the gears. I don't think you should "practice" this method as the norm!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

When you switch gears and are about to release the clutch, you want to rev the engine a little to match the RPM that the tachometer will go to when the gear is engaged, otherwise you will get a jolt.

If you are letting off the clutch slowly, the rpm will drop to under 1k and when it goes in gear, the engine will need to rotate much faster to stay in that gear, causing a jolt.

Make sense...?

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.

Last edited by Bronxie : 12-13-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
When you switch gears and are about to release the clutch, you want to rev the engine a little to match the RPM that the tachometer will go to when the gear is engaged, otherwise you will get a jolt.

If you are letting off the clutch slowly, the rpm will drop to under 1k and when it goes in gear, the engine will need to rotate much faster to stay in that gear, causing a jolt.

Make sense...?
you're actually talking about double-clutching (for downshifting)

Old 12-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #6
Bronxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
you're actually talking about double-clutching (for downshifting)

No I'm not.

Think about it. He holds the clutch a long time, means the engine speed has time to drop REAL low, right?

Even when upshifting, it will still jolt forward because it is going increase from the dropped speed.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
No I'm not.

Think about it. He holds the clutch a long time, means the engine speed has time to drop REAL low, right?

Even when upshifting, it will still jolt forward because it is going increase from the dropped speed.
he would need to put it in neutral, rev it, then shift in order to keep both, the engine and tranny at the same constant speed before going into gear. instead of going through all that trouble, why not just do like bav said? as in just get the right rythm going and eventually up-shift without revving the engine?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
he would need to put it in neutral, rev it, then shift in order to keep both, the engine and tranny at the same constant speed before going into gear. instead of going through all that trouble, why not just do like bav said? as in just get the right rythm going and eventually up-shift without revving the engine?
I agree. You shouldn't need to rev the engine when changing gear. The right foot comes off the accelarator pedal, and then you push the left one down on to the clutch padal, almost instantly. No extra revs are needed.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:51 AM   #9
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I agree. You shouldn't need to rev the engine when changing gear. The right foot comes off the accelarator pedal, and then you push the left one down on to the clutch padal, almost instantly. No extra revs are needed.
u know, i even had to sit down to think about it when i read it lol. just wouldnt sink into my head as to why u would rev to upshift...... unless the car was stalling already.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:16 AM   #10
Bronxie

He would need to give some gas cause he is releasing the clutch slowly, allowing the engine speed to drop.

I wouldn't tell someone driving a manual to do something that doesn't feel comfortable to them, like releasing the clutch fast and shifting faster.

So that's all I'm saying, guys.

Why doesn't it make sense

Old 12-14-2006, 03:34 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Why doesn't it make sense
Because, unless he's at a standstill and is driving off in first gear, it really doesn't matter if he releases the clutch pedal slowly, as the 'momentum' of the engine/vehicle (if ya like) is enough to ensure smooth operation....Unless he's shifting stupidly slow of course, but that's not likely as it's not feasable

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 12-14-2006, 03:49 AM   #12
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Because, unless he's at a standstill and is driving off in first gear, it really doesn't matter if he releases the clutch pedal slowly, as the 'momentum' of the engine/vehicle (if ya like) is enough to ensure smooth operation....Unless he's shifting stupidly slow of course, but that's not likely as it's not feasable
u need to meet my friend jay......

Old 12-14-2006, 03:59 AM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
u need to meet my friend jay......
What makes you think I'd wanna be a part of your sexual rendevouz?...lol.....jk...really. So he shifts slowly?

Old 12-14-2006, 04:02 AM   #14
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

You shouldn't e revving the engine between shifts. Remove your foot from the throttle as you press the clutch, switch gears, then release the clutch. Press the throttle again a split second later...

Anyway, its all about timing. You'll get it, don't worry...
Old 12-14-2006, 04:26 AM   #15
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
What makes you think I'd wanna be a part of your sexual rendevouz?...lol.....jk...really. So he shifts slowly?
lmao, i had that one coming <------ even that sounds queer....

anyhow, recently, he has finally learned how to shift quicker. but at first, he actually managed to stall the Supra once while shifting.... i told him, "Jay..... por la madre de Dios (for the mother of God), like a see-saw damn it!!"

"ohhh, so i let out the clutch, and THEN hit the gas? but wat about the stick?"

"let go of the gas, press the clutch, shift, let go of clutch, and press gas"

"i thought u were supposed to do like a see-saw, let go of clutch, then press on gas and move stick"

i just made him stop at the next gas station and didnt let him drive again. some girl later on started teaching him.