Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #31
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
It's been proven that routing cold air or increasing the airflow into an engine increases horsepower and throttle response. However there hasn't been prove(independent tests) that by simply putting a superchip alone into your engine that you'll get all these benefits that they claim.
Increases horsepower, yes....but only by about 2-3bhp, if not less, so spending 60 on this is arguably the same as fitting a chip?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #32
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Increases horsepower, yes....but only by about 2-3bhp, if not less, so spending 60 on this is arguably the same as fitting a chip?

thats very arguable, and totaly dependant on where the new air box is located and what air it gets, how much, etc etc etc.

plus, turbos benefit greatly wiht this simple intake upgrade, more than 2 - 3hp

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #33
ride3k
CF Addict

oh ya, forgot to add, 60 bucks?? just go out and buy a bigger filter, much much cheaper and nets you relatively the same gains depending on your engine compartment

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #34
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy

But K&N are an established company and make filters which flows and filter well and can be cleaned and re-used. Even established engine builders like David Vizard tested and reccomends them in his books.

Superchips on the other hand aren't used much in club racing and have yet to prove itself other than in the boy-racer crowd, and with ECUs like Megasquirt or Emerald3d which dosn't require ROM burning hardware to programme into I don't think the Superchip would catch onto the club racing scene.

Quote:
i think when u say chip you mean a replacement for the ECU of the car. There is a guy up in temecula that can reprogramm your ECU to net you a very very large gain, so i dont think it idiculous to see those types of gains out of a simple plug unplug process

I don't think Superchip is a replacement, it's probably just a process of wiping existing data off the stock ECU and reburning the ROM chip with their own map. To net a very very large gain the engine must have been poorly calibrated in the first place or that other modifications were done as well and that the engine needed remapping to suit.

I've just seen an advert for superchip bluefin and it claims no mechanical knowledge is needed-very worrying indeed.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #35
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Superchips on the other hand aren't used much in club racing and have yet to prove itself other than in the boy-racer crowd, and with ECUs like Megasquirt or Emerald3d which dosn't require ROM burning hardware to programme into I don't think the Superchip would catch onto the club racing scene.
Superchips need to prove themselves?....they certainly proved themselves with half of the UK Police forces in the 90's. I'm not sure if they use them now for a few reasons, but I know they used to in the late 90's, especially in Traffic cars, and were very impresses with them

K&N rely on a "Boy Racer" crowd, because all Boy racers car about is making tha 3-cylinder Corsa sound like a tank!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 03-13-2006, 10:23 PM   #36
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
Superchips need to prove themselves?....they certainly proved themselves with half of the UK Police forces in the 90's. I'm not sure if they use them now for a few reasons, but I know they used to in the late 90's, especially in Traffic cars, and were very impresses with them

Really? I haven't heard about cops using them. And why haven't they used it nowadays if it had supposedly great results?

[/quote]K&N rely on a "Boy Racer" crowd, because all Boy racers car about is making tha 3-cylinder Corsa sound like a tank!
[/quote]
And yet they still make filters for DCOE carbs and throttle bodies. Didn't think much boy racers actually know such things existed or how they worked.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 AM   #37
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Really? I haven't heard about cops using them. And why haven't they used it nowadays if it had supposedly great results?

Quote:
K&N rely on a "Boy Racer" crowd, because all Boy racers car about is making tha 3-cylinder Corsa sound like a tank!
And yet they still make filters for DCOE carbs and throttle bodies. Didn't think much boy racers actually know such things existed or how they worked.
Cops used to use them in the late '90's in their Volvo T5's. I think the fact that they could top 150mph without the chips made them think again about using them. In this situation it was pointless spending money (our money....so it's all good lol) on them if they were powerfull enough already! It was only Traffic cars that used them though, the standard patrol cars (Astra's, Focus' Volvo S40's etc) are completely standard!

As for the Boy Racers. I dont think they're that intelligent either....but Halfords sell books now lol

Old 07-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #38
n25gabe
CF Newbie

hmm heard rumours about coppers chippin the cars, not sure wether its just a rumour set out to sell more superchips. Im runnin a 95 civic esi D16z6, got the usual mods header, straight through exhaust, induction kit. Im gonna go the superchip route, only cos gonna get it done for free hopefully monday (its good to do favours!) from what i understand of it, manufacturers have to conform to certain regulations, with regards to emmisions, economy, noise output... and as such they have to compromise and accomodate all types of drivers from your granny to your boy racer, the maps on their ecus should reflect this. sport chips on the other hand dont have to. they can map the ecu to how you drive. i highly doubt the improved economy, admittedly superchips dont claim to increase economy on petrol, on diesels they claim to. But with every hp gain the more frequently i have to fill up. pre mods i got 300 miles to a tank now i get 250 to the tank
n25gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:17 AM   #39
unpolloloco
CF Newbie

600 canadian? Is that enough to buy like a new cupholder? - sorry couldnt resist
unpolloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #40
lamboluver
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx3_monster
exhaust and intake
id agree