Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2005, 01:04 AM   #31
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
So weight doesnt matter how good of a quality they are? I thought that the heavier the tool was, the harder or better quality it is?

And im just wondering, when you guys use a ratchet with an extention and socket, and your loosing a bolt, you use the ratchet handel to get the torque to loosen it but after its loosen, it is slow to use the handel, so do you guys just take off the ratchet and spin the extension with your fingers? I think that way is faster. What techniques do professionals use?

weight means crock all - its all in the forging/tempering process is where the strength lays.

done that myself CE....in the end i usually get rid of the socket and use my fingers(if the bolt isn't sticky)
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 02:17 AM   #32
bigdaveangell
CF Addict

I would much rather have craftsman tools over snap on or mac. There alot cheaper and may not be the same quality as the more expensive stuff but if something breaks you can just get it replaced for free. In the 5 years Ive been using craftman Ive only had a few sockets break. Some of the stuff is made by the same companies. The company that makes snap on boxes make craftsman professional and there made with the same materials.
bigdaveangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #33
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaveangell
I would much rather have craftsman tools over snap on or mac. There alot cheaper and may not be the same quality as the more expensive stuff but if something breaks you can just get it replaced for free....
Same thing with Snap-on and Mac except they actually come to you instead of you having to go to Sears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaveangell
.... The company that makes snap on boxes make craftsman professional and there made with the same materials.
This is not true. Snap-on makes their own boxes and that is it.

Sears professional boxes are made by Waterloo which also makes boxes for themselves and Cornwell.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:51 AM   #34
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
Same thing with Snap-on and Mac except they actually come to you instead of you having to go to Sears.

This is not true. Snap-on makes their own boxes and that is it.

Sears professional boxes are made by Waterloo which also makes boxes for themselves and Cornwell.

snap on and mac will only come to you if your an honest mechanic.....backyard mechanics dont count - especially not farmers.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:38 AM   #35
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
And im just wondering, when you guys use a ratchet with an extention and socket, and your loosing a bolt, you use the ratchet handel to get the torque to loosen it but after its loosen, it is slow to use the handel, so do you guys just take off the ratchet and spin the extension with your fingers? I think that way is faster. What techniques do professionals use?
If the bolt's loose enough, I'd use the socket on it and spin it with my fingers....as this way, especially on small nuts/bolts, it's easier to twist a socket on a bolt, than the bolt itself

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #36
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
snap on and mac will only come to you if your an honest mechanic.....backyard mechanics dont count - especially not farmers.
That is also not true. These dealers will go where the money is. If you're buying tools then they will stop by you.

It is true that they will not normally stop, especially on a weekly basis. However, if you make an arrangement with them to stop monthly or so and actually buy something from them, they will start stopping at your location.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #37
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
That is also not true. These dealers will go where the money is. If you're buying tools then they will stop by you.

It is true that they will not normally stop, especially on a weekly basis. However, if you make an arrangement with them to stop monthly or so and actually buy something from them, they will start stopping at your location.

somehow i cant see that applying to a farmer.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #38
bigdaveangell
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
If the bolt's loose enough, I'd use the socket on it and spin it with my fingers....as this way, especially on small nuts/bolts, it's easier to twist a socket on a bolt, than the bolt itself

Thats what I do
bigdaveangell is offline   Reply With Quote