Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Astra
CF Newbie

Exclamation I want a Sports Car!

Hey dudes..

I'm new to the states (am a foreign national) and I want to buy a sports car. My budget can stretch at the most to 30kays..I have my sights set on the Z4 but feel I may be being shortsighted, maybe there is better stuff with more bang/buck? Sorry, I have absolutely no experience, so I'd really appriciate some help here!

Thanks!
Astra
Astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:41 PM   #2
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Gotta go for the STi (Subaru Impreza WRX STi) when it come to bang for the buck in the 30ks....300 hp....300 lb. ft....tons of awards...gotta go with 4.9 sec. 0-60...the STi all the way....

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
jon348
CF Newbie

money to burn and car to buy

sti man, is right scoobys are great, only one thing is the servicing, same with the mitsubishi evo fq

30k would get you a good m3, same as a scoob just has more refinements, cruise and general comfort.

?, can you get tvr's in the united state
jon348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:06 AM   #4
enron fever
CF Addict

...If you want a scooby, that is. there are plenty of other cars out there. speed is not everything. i'd personally go with SAAB 9-3ss Aero. a bit more than 30k, but a very good all-around car. not as quick, but it's no slow either.
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 01:44 AM   #5
Astra
CF Newbie

Thanks for the reply guys, though one thing - why do all these cars look like sedans!? Whe'res the sporty look? wnad what do you guys think of the Z4??
Astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:42 AM   #6
Flame Roller
CF Enthusiast

Personal thoughts on sports cars

Sports cars are mainly about the look, unless you are looking into racing, which to me it didn't seem like you were saying. Although I am sure the Z4 can hold its own in racing. I love that car, it is beautiful, and an actual sports car. Also You should look into Camaro/Firebird, Mustang, and maybe if you are daring enough a Vette. Those my friend are sports cars, and you can find all in and under 30k. (Of course you can find some over 30k as well) Or if you wanna spend some money on a little bit older car that isn't too old look into the Dodge Stealth/ Mitsubishi 3000GT. In my opinion these are some of the best looking sports cars in your range. Although I got my 95 F-bod for much much much much much less as my budget is not quite so generous as yours, so count yourself lucky, and make sure to tell us what your decision is in the end.
Flame Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:54 AM   #7
enron fever
CF Addict

the Z4 is a racing machine. and that's it. if you drive it on, say, anywhere else besides a track, the suspension is so stiff you will be launching off of even the smallest of bumps. makes for a very uncomfortable ride. i personally would go with a sedan. unless you have ego problems, that is...
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I thought he wanted a sports car, and here people are recommending sedans and GTs...

Best sports car for the dollar is still the Miata. And the Mazdaspeed version should be a ton of fun. I love the Z4, but the best version would be over budget.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:51 PM   #9
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

You cant get a m3 here less then 40k (new) and there are no TVRs...the STi is the best bet...there are also many Subie dealerships in the US...You just got proven wrong....

Old 04-28-2004, 12:40 AM   #10
lectroid
0000?

Although I am no fan of the Miata, I am a BIG fan of the RXs. Has to be one of the best fun RWD cars I have ever driven or owned. I loved my 67 goat(rip) but no comparison,as far as mountain driving goes..... Felt I should clarify

Last edited by lectroid : 04-28-2004 at 12:52 AM.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:11 AM   #11
CivilDisobediet
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Best sports car for the dollar is still the Miata. And the Mazdaspeed version should be a ton of fun. I love the Z4, but the best version would be over budget.

I'd second that. I think the MazdaSpeed's price will save him a couple thousand as well. Of course, you can buy a used Miata with a Jackson Racing supercharger for about $10k. Or you can get a turbo and push it up to 200 bhp (if you don't mind tinkering). Miatas are as reliable a car as you can get; if you don't like getting your hands dirty, or paying someone else to get their hands dirty, this can be nice.

Just keep in mind, there is no trunk space to speak of (unless you like to live dangerously and ditch the spare). Also, the interiors are a bit -- well -- plastic-y.

The 3rd gen RX7's are some of the sexiest cars ever built in their price range, but they're known to have some reliability problems.
CivilDisobediet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:35 AM   #12
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Ok, I'm way late here. But I'll throw in my two cents. I'd go with a Chevrolet Beretta GTZ, Indy, Z26 or GT. The GTZs had the quad 4 in them (which is a troublesome engine at times, but it's fast. That plus you could probably find a 92 GT or so with around 100K on it and swap the 3.1 for a 3400 for under 4 grand. But, if you want a little more Hp, go with on of the Beretta's brothers. The Camaro or the Corvette.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:45 AM   #13
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Ok, I'm way late here. But I'll throw in my two cents. I'd go with a Chevrolet Beretta GTZ, Indy, Z26 or GT. The GTZs had the quad 4 in them (which is a troublesome engine at times, but it's fast. That plus you could probably find a 92 GT or so with around 100K on it and swap the 3.1 for a 3400 for under 4 grand. But, if you want a little more Hp, go with on of the Beretta's brothers. The Camaro or the Corvette.
You sure do like that Beretta of yours...

Old 04-28-2004, 04:40 AM   #14
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101

My father-in-law's 1990 something Olds Cutlass Calais had the "quad 4" engine...it was garbage...fyi.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:41 PM   #15
Hiens
CF Newbie

Actually..... You can always inport a TVR. But as I always say........ Get a Noble! while it costs a bit more ($78,000 full options) it will kill the Z4 and Miata as well as the RX's. Also try loking at a Lotus Elise. 38,000. just a little over but hey. Take out a loan.

Happy? No.
Hiens is offline   Reply With Quote