Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #31
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
Its all good swapping V8's into Miatas but will the gearbox take the extra torque of the larger engine? It'll be a shame to ditch that gearbox which has one of the nicest feel unless you can toughen it up.
I doubt that would be possible, seeing as how the 1.8l transmission is most likely a LOT smaller than the one of an LSx and LTx or 5.0 stang motor...even with a build i dont think it would be a good idea, plus you have to either find or machine adapter plates, then you have to consider what kind of clutch/flywheel combo to use, etc.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #32
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I doubt that would be possible, seeing as how the 1.8l transmission is most likely a LOT smaller than the one of an LSx and LTx or 5.0 stang motor...even with a build i dont think it would be a good idea, plus you have to either find or machine adapter plates, then you have to consider what kind of clutch/flywheel combo to use, etc.

Why stick with that one anyways when you can swap the bergwarner 6 speed that comes in the Camaros and Trans Ams? Besides, if you're going to swap an LS or LT into a Miata, you're probably not going to care much about how it feels. Chances are you're going for performance.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #33
fudge
let's fighting love

Why not keep the stock engine until you find another daily driver?

I mean whats the point of going crazy with transplants and mods when the purpose of the car is a replacement for the Honda?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #34
newyorker
MXman

Quote:

I mean whats the point of going crazy with transplants and mods when the purpose of the car is a replacement for the Honda?
Truth. The miata is a great car, it was made the way it was for a reason, and it makes you think and work to get the performance out of it, you cant just poke the pedal and take off, you have to plan and coordinate, and to me, the technical aspect of driving, and the strategy makes it more fun.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #35
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:

I think it was more like when he can get a new car we're just giving him ideas. That and describing more along the lines of what can be done and what we would do.

My wife's cars:

Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #36
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Im still stuck between miata and another F-body.

They would stay mostly stock for a while until I got my Vette, which will be the next big car I buy.

If I get the miata It will probably just get suspension stuff and easy bolt ons until I get the C5 then It will more than likely get swapped. Part of me wants to do an LS1 but another part thinks a slightly worked F20C could be fun but there goes the reliability.

The F-body probably wouldnt stay stock. First it would be full suspension and wheels, a few appearance things, then bolt ons and a baby cam, something like a 211/219 or a custom BRE one.

On a side note the Z28 is being a bitch. Everything about it is a huige pain in the ass but shes my baby so I cant get mad, just all the custom shit Im doing.

For Example, I switched to an EWP so I deleted the cam drive for the WP to help stabilize the valvetrain with all the RPMs Ill be turning. Can find a damn freeze plug to plug it so I had to get one .05 too big and work it down on a bench grinder.

Retrofitted a double roller timing chain for some stability and now I have to clearance the timing cover.

Went to different rockers, studs, springs, and lifters so god knows were even a decent PR length is to start checking for valvetrain geometry.

Who cares Ill feel better about spinning her to damn near 7K when shes back together.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #37
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

It's all in the spirit of modifying. Thats why I just went with simple things that a lot of people have done. I'm gonna take off throcharger before too long and just go N/A. As much as I like it, I personally don't have the ability to control the extra boost yet.

If you're really as big of a Chevy guy as I am, I'd say stick with an F-body. Mine's never been in the shop aside from oil changes and new sets of tires (I like doughnuts and burnouts. I can't help it). So you get one with low-ish miles and it should be reliable. Just make sure you know the owner history.

My wife's cars:

Old 05-30-2008, 05:30 AM   #38
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I still say get something different. The LSX/LTX is good for straight line speed but I'm guessing you'll build a lot of Fbodies in your time.

Fuggit, I vote you get another Fbody, make it a cornerer and surprise everybody at the autoX.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:03 AM   #39
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I still say get something different. The LSX/LTX is good for straight line speed but I'm guessing you'll build a lot of Fbodies in your time.

Fuggit, I vote you get another Fbody, make it a cornerer and surprise everybody at the autoX.

Yah if I get one it will be a baby cammed full suspension car. They are alot of fun the black Z used to be a corner carver before I sold it all off.

I had a couple different setups but the best was
Strano Springs and Bars
Strano Revalved bilsteins
STB
Pavlock Performance Double rod ended LCAs with relo brackets
Pavlock Performance double rodended PHB
SFCs
A tore up set of 10 spokes with some Kuhmo V710s or 700 I cant remeber I got them used

she cornered real well and I surprised a modded miata one time by making a pass on the outside of him mid corner, yah stupid I know. He told me he didnt think the F-bodys could handle that well.
next step was gonna be tubular K member and adjustable A-arms, then I was looking into a brake swap, I didnt want C5 Zo brakes cause everyone had them but I was looking into some porsche calipers with custom brakets, nowadays though Id just run C6 Z0 brakes.