Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2006, 11:09 PM   #16
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Perhaps between BMW's and Mercedes...but here's an example for you.

2006 Acura TL (no bias, it's just a good example) vs. Mercedes Benz C280
Both come with leather, wood, etc.

2006 Acura TL
Base Price: $33325.00
Engine: 3.2L V6, 270 hp (201 kw) 238 lb-ft (323 Nm)
Radio: Acura/ELS Surround(TM) AM/FM Radio With 225-Watts and 8 Speakers Total; Cassette Player With Dolby(R) Noise Reduction; In-Dash 6-Disc CD Changer; DVD Audio Player With DTS(R); XM Satellite Radio

2006 Mercedes-Benz C280
Base Price: $32,950.00
Engine: 3.0L V6, 228 hp (170 kw) 221 lb-ft (300 Nm)
Radio: AM/FM Radio With Speed Sensitive Volume and 6-Speakers Total; CD Player; MP3 Player

The radio information comes from the same site for both cars, I used the radio because it shows best that when it comes to the lower-end Benzes, there are better buys elsewhere.
Yes, but think about it, the Merc doesn't cost as muct as the Acura, so you could spend the difference on some of what the Acura has! (might need to add a bit.....not an excessive amount I imagine!). So what if you've spent about $1,000 extra on the Merc, you have what the Acura has, and can be a snob in your Merc lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #17
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Yes, but think about it, the Merc doesn't cost as muct as the Acura, so you could spend the difference on some of what the Acura has! (might need to add a bit.....not an excessive amount I imagine!). So what if you've spent about $1,000 extra on the Merc, you have what the Acura has, and can be a snob in your Merc lol
Haha, I suppose...but a $400 price difference isn't that much in a car...

They're good cars, but the prestige of owning one does not come cheaply.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 PM   #18
born to drive
CF Newbie

when i was out looking for a car a couple of months ago (the final one being the bmw i may or may not own see other thread) i looked at all sorts from an merc e500, bmw 745, bmw 530d (old shape) jaguar xjr, all 2nd hand mind and what i found is if you want luxury go for the merc (although there are question marks now over MB build quality - something you certainly cant say about lexus) . the jaguar isnt a big car inside and will depreciate worse than a rover!! and the 745 had the flappy paddle gear box which i couldnt get on with (beside the fact its about a mile long and not geared to irish road)

where a 3 series fits in here im not sure, its a totally different car, even to the clk, its alot more sports car than sport tourer and its definately a car to be driven as opposed to just drive

it really does depend on what you need it for and what you want out of it
Old 04-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #19
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born to drive
where a 3 series fits in here im not sure, its a totally different car, even to the clk, its alot more sports car than sport tourer and its definately a car to be driven as opposed to just drive

it really does depend on what you need it for and what you want out of it
Generic 3 Series, I'd say there are still better deals out there, but the margin is much narrower.

Now the M3, that's a different story. That car has it's own character to it. With a base price for the coupe starting at $48900, you'd be hard pressed to find a new car in the same class and price range that performs the M3's intentions better. Granted, for $43690 you could get a Corvette, or for $30663 you could get a Honda S2000, or for $27650 a Nissan 350Z is attainable. But none of those can carry three friends, or quite match the BMW in every category of performance.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:01 AM   #20
DannyD
CF Newbie

Well let's see. On average I drive 2 hours a day, and at least occasionally I have to carry 4 people, not a lot of luggage, and I have to look good doing it.

I like driving with a bit of oomph and in enough leather to make any PETA member cry.

Do you guys really think there is THAT much of a difference between a STS and say a 330i?

A Luxury sports car is a luxury sports car, Ideally I could get all of them, and a Black Lamborghini Gallardo, and call it a mobile business suit.

It's actually kind of funny, I know a guy, who's a bit older, and wants to get a Yellow Gallardo. I think he's the biggest ass.

The way I figure, I'm just really curious to know what a cross between Ralph Lauren, and Michael Andretti (leaning towards Ralph), would drive out of the group... as that's my ideal driving personality.

I'm gona have to say I'm leaning towards a 5 series honestly, with rims of course.
DannyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:16 AM   #21
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD
Well let's see. On average I drive 2 hours a day, and at least occasionally I have to carry 4 people, not a lot of luggage, and I have to look good doing it.

I like driving with a bit of oomph and in enough leather to make any PETA member cry.

Do you guys really think there is THAT much of a difference between a STS and say a 330i?

A Luxury sports car is a luxury sports car, Ideally I could get all of them, and a Black Lamborghini Gallardo, and call it a mobile business suit.

It's actually kind of funny, I know a guy, who's a bit older, and wants to get a Yellow Gallardo. I think he's the biggest ass.

The way I figure, I'm just really curious to know what a cross between Ralph Lauren, and Michael Andretti (leaning towards Ralph), would drive out of the group... as that's my ideal driving personality.

I'm gona have to say I'm leaning towards a 5 series honestly, with rims of course.

You'll be paying a name-plate premium and won't be getting as much for your money.

Let's compare with the same stuff I did earlier for the TL and C-Class...
2006 STS V8/V6 vs. 2006 BMW 525i:
Both come with leather, wood, etc.

2006 STS V8/V6
Base Price: $47520.00/$41020.00
Engine: 4.6L V8 320 hp (239 kw) 315 lb-ft (427 Nm)/3.6L V6 255 hp (190 kw) 252 lb-ft (342 Nm)
Radio: Bose(R) AM/FM Radio With 8 Speakers Total; CD Player; XM(R) Satellite Radio

2006 BMW 525i
Base Price: $42500.00
Engine: 3.0L I6 215 hp (158 kw) 185 lb-ft (251 Nm)
Radio: AM/FM Radio With 10 Speakers Total; CD Player

The base V6 STS has more horsepower, and a slightly better radio, for less. Your choice, but I'd get the STS.

Last edited by hondaman : 04-19-2006 at 02:18 AM.
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:36 AM   #22
DannyD
CF Newbie

what I am really looking for is which one makes it's owner the happyest. For instance.

Hey I've been driving a CLK500 for 2 years and it's preformance is awesome.

or the interior look, and fit and finish of a 525i is unsurpassed...

Really it's what gives you the most enjoyment for your dollar, it's why you have people becoming porsche fanatics their entire lives, because they just love the cars.
DannyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:43 AM   #23
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Well, any of them will make you happy. Before I had my Accord, I had a 1998 Cadillac SLS, the more luxurious but slightly slower sister to the STS...unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, the former owner had treated it like crap. But when it ran, I loved it.

It's up to you ultimately. Any of these cars will make you happy. What I'd recommend is that you test drive each and decide from there.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 PM   #24
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD

They are in completely different catagories. The STS is larger than a 330i. A Caddy CTS would be in 330i territory.

Please, dont put rims on a 5-series. First, because you cannot drive on rims (I think you mean wheels). Second, a 5-series isnt a car to be "pimped out."

I would probably get a CLK500 for reasons listed before. But if I were you, I wouldnt forget about Lexus/ Infiniti/ Acura.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote