Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2005, 06:31 PM   #16
merriman67
CF Newbie

I haven't thought about plugs and wires. It's a 6 cy. and has 170,000 miles on the car. I will look to see if it's the original wires or not. I got the car last Oct. and I haven't had it tuned up. I know just a dumb woman huh?? LOL And not sure when the fuel filter has been changed if ever either???? But I will check these things also. TY

Sheila
merriman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 AM   #17
merriman67
CF Newbie

OK!!! Here's something else that may help solve the problem. I got the car to crank today and my brother checked some fuses and plugs but he really doesn't know a lot about vehicles either. When I accelerate the gas while it's in park instead of holding a steady acceleration it revs up and down???? But I'm holding the gas pedal steady?????

what does that sound like to you guys????

TY,
Sheila
Old 09-08-2005, 04:04 AM   #18
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman67
OK!!! Here's something else that may help solve the problem. I got the car to crank today and my brother checked some fuses and plugs but he really doesn't know a lot about vehicles either. When I accelerate the gas while it's in park instead of holding a steady acceleration it revs up and down???? But I'm holding the gas pedal steady?????

what does that sound like to you guys????

TY,
Sheila

sounds like the rev limiter. i wouldn't worry about it... it's supposed to do it...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #19
merriman67
CF Newbie

Well when it's doing that is also when it will die????? Sure it's suspose to do that????

Sheila

Takes a few times to get it cranked back up again afterwards
Old 09-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #20
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman67
Well when it's doing that is also when it will die????? Sure it's suspose to do that????

Sheila

Takes a few times to get it cranked back up again afterwards

it's supposed to do half of what you said. when you rev the engine in park, it will reach about 3000 rpm's then drop off til it hits about 2500, rev back up to 3000, down to 2500, etc...

you're saying that it's dying when you let off the gas, right? it's not supposed to do that. have you checked your fuel pressure or tried anything else yet?

Old 09-14-2005, 03:29 AM   #21
merriman67
CF Newbie

k, changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs still having the same problem. Yes it is dieing when I let off the gas????

Sheila
Old 09-14-2005, 03:35 AM   #22
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
have you done a fuel pressure test yet? is there a loud sucking noise or whistle coming from the motor? maybe a vacuum line popped off, i would still say fuel pump pressure should be checked before going any further
Old 09-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #23
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
have you done a fuel pressure test yet? is there a loud sucking noise or whistle coming from the motor? maybe a vacuum line popped off, i would still say fuel pump pressure should be checked before going any further

what banff said... plus if your fuel pressure test indicates the pressure is ok, then take it by an auto parts store that will pull your codes for free (i.e. autozone) and tell us what codes come out of it...

Old 09-16-2005, 03:55 AM   #24
Do3r17
CF Newbie

replace the fuel filter. I forgot what its called, but you can get it form autozone any store like that theres a fluid you dump in your gasloine that cleans out corrosion. Get that and a fuel filter. The fuel filter will be like 10 dollars, and the fluid will be like 4-5 dollars.
Do3r17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:52 PM   #25
Grannie2
CF Newbie

Have you had the catalytic converter checked lately? A bad cat also has a bad egg smell and dies alot until it kicks the bucket and then it won't start at all. Good luck.
Grannie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #26
spottydog
CF Newbie

I have a 1998. Had some of the same things happening with mine.
Spent many $$$ on it with everyone I could find no luck fixing it. My gas cap just did pass inspection last week. So I just put a new gas cap on and the problum has been gone for a week now. It might help. Good luck.
spottydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #27
dodger65

yeah that makes perfect sense... good luck 3 years ago...

Old 09-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #28
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
yeah that makes perfect sense... good luck 3 years ago...

Right. I've heard of a check engine light coming on from a gas cap but never has it killed the engine. What's up with all the really old posts lately. People don't look at the dates?

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 AM   #29
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBain
Right. I've heard of a check engine light coming on from a gas cap but never has it killed the engine. What's up with all the really old posts lately. People don't look at the dates?

that's part of it, and the fact is, i don't think i've seen any gas caps that are bad enough to make a car die while driving, especially when they test good...

Old 09-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #30
likwyd
CF Newbie

Exclamation Almost the same problem...need help

Unlike the other threads posted, my engine light DOES come on after running for about 3miles. After that, anytime I slow down or just let off the gas completely the car will die. The car did give off the rotten egg smell a while back but hasn't for a long time and I have noticed the gas mileage has decreased considerably.
Now bearing in mind, last winter, my car fishtailed off the road on packed ice. It's only since that happened that this problem started, I just assumed that had something to do with it.
I noticed these posts about similar problems and thought maybe someone can help before I spend a good but useless amount of money trying to figure it out

I appreciate any help
likwyd is offline   Reply With Quote