Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Robyn
CF Newbie

Unhappy 1996 Pontiac Sunfire GT

Hi there,
I have a 1996 pontiac Sunfire GT and I beleive there is something wrong with my ABS breaks. Whenever it rains or is a little wet out and I break the ABS breaks come on, and my tires lock up. It is extra sensitive, I don't break hard at all? Any thoughts on what the issue is?
My mechanic said that he couldn't look at it until it's wet outside...Please help!
Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
carlos
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn
Hi there,
I have a 1996 pontiac Sunfire GT and I beleive there is something wrong with my ABS breaks. Whenever it rains or is a little wet out and I break the ABS breaks come on, and my tires lock up. It is extra sensitive, I don't break hard at all? Any thoughts on what the issue is?
My mechanic said that he couldn't look at it until it's wet outside...Please help!
your tires aren't too worn are they? excessively worn tires tend to "slip" when wet even under moderate braking conditions.
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Robyn
CF Newbie

New tires

No, I have good Toyo Tires, they are new??
Old 11-23-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Hi there,
I think you're having trouble with the proportioner.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #5
Robyn
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
I think you're having trouble with the proportioner.

Do you think it could also be a leaky wheel cylinder and brake fluid is getting on the shoes/drums?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:58 PM   #6
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
if the shoes are contaminated with dif oil and as you slightly touch the brakes and blamo lockup, your abs is probably working properly, yes you have to fix the wheel cylinder and get new shoes before you diagnose an abs problem, i would think the abs is fine and the brakes are hooped.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
Robyn
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
if the shoes are contaminated with dif oil and as you slightly touch the brakes and blamo lockup, your abs is probably working properly, yes you have to fix the wheel cylinder and get new shoes before you diagnose an abs problem, i would think the abs is fine and the brakes are hooped.

But would that cause the ABS breaks to pump? Because when the wheels lock I feel that pumping.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:53 PM   #8
carlos
CF Addict

Quote:
But would that cause the ABS breaks to pump? Because when the wheels lock I feel that pumping.
ABS systems will "electronically" pump the brakes. In the old days people would pump the brakes on vehicles in order to prevent then from locking up. Nowadays the hydraulic control unit(HCU) contains inlet and outlet valves that are controlled by the ABS module which cycles them on and off to stop and allow fluid to flow to your calipers/wheel cyl. That pumping action that you feel happens when the inlet valve opens and closes and is completely normal with ABS operation.
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:50 AM   #9
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Quote:

Yes, your abs is meant to pump when it sees a wheel locked, i could use alot of jibba jabba terms here and spew alot of verbal diahrea but all you need to know is if one wheel is locking up because of any number of reasons, the abs system will try to pump the brakes for you so that you have control in an emergency situation. is the wheel cylinder leaking? has it gotten brake fluid all over your shoes(not your running shoes), if so..... fix that first, that would be your first place to start on this repair job.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #10
Robyn
CF Newbie

Thanks

Thaks to everyone for all your help
Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
RobynA
CF Newbie

I also have the same problem with my 1996 Sunfire Gt. They lock up and kinda jolt when wet with snow or rain too. My mom has a 1998 Sunfire, and it does the same thing, as well as my sister-in-laws mothers 2000 Grand Am. I personally think its just the way the brakes are in the Pontiac cars, because we all have good breaks, tires, and dont brake hard. They dont do it when they are dry, so it has to have something to do with the water, and the ABS system on these cars, because really, how can there be something wrong with all three cars that are taken care of, that would cause a problem like this. I find if they are wet, and you brake gently and slowly, then there isn't a problem with them.
RobynA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
cav_rider666
CF Newbie

Unless you deactivate the system, your stuck with it. The ABS on the 1995-2004 cavaliers/sunfires kicks in all the time, espacially when its raining or snowing out.
cav_rider666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM   #13
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

it's like it only does it in potentially slippery conditions.. it's just crazy!

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote