Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 AM   #16
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

well i'd hate to say it... who am i kidding i dont care, i would have to agree with 99integra. Why do you need nitrous (which is illegal around here anyways) to add speed when you can get it in other ways. Yes adding nitrous is easier but still, i myself dont agree with the use of it. Thats just my opinion though.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:57 AM   #17
FordFromHell351
Banned

Well, have any of you guys ever driven a car with nitrous? I know that you buy a muscle car for its power, but nitrous makes the car a hell of alot more fun. Some of the best racers I know use nitrous, I was even considering putting it on my Mustang. You gotta love that grape scent too.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:00 AM   #18
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Well, have any of you guys ever driven a car with nitrous? I know that you buy a muscle car for its power, but nitrous makes the car a hell of alot more fun. Some of the best racers I know use nitrous, I was even considering putting it on my Mustang. You gotta love that grape scent too.

Nope and don't plan on doing it too. It may make the car more fun but you are wasting away the engine every time you hit the button
Old 06-09-2005, 02:00 AM   #19
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Nope and don't plan on doing it too. It may make the car more fun but you are wasting away the engine every time you hit the button
Not if you have it built right, and run the correct engine fluids.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:03 AM   #20
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Well I am talking about stock camshaft, pistons, etc... If you have it built right I would put like a blower or turbo on it, and if you had it built right then it would have enough power without nitrous.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:06 AM   #21
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Well I am talking about stock camshaft, pistons, etc... If you have it built right I would put like a blower or turbo on it, and if you had it built right then it would have enough power without nitrous.

True, but then again, if you have the engine built right, why would you need a turbo or supercharger?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:07 AM   #22
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
True, but then again, if you have the engine built right, why would you need a turbo or supercharger?

Well damn ya got me there. But here it goes, to get extra power without the use of nitrous that kills the engine even more
Old 06-09-2005, 02:25 AM   #23
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:

Quote:

hm lets see. Using nitrous puts extra wear and tear on the motor thus making it start to "waste away" and yet Turbos and blowers don't. Hmm...If I remember correctly, turbos, superchargers, and nitrous ALL wear down the enginge faster than it would if it was stock.

I'm sure most aftermarket performance parts make the engine wear down faster. But seeing as how I have no proof of whether or not all aftermarket parts make it wear down, I will not hold that one against you. But I have a few friends who are mechanics (One my age, and another who worked on my car a lot and to whom I hang out with by his trailer when He's out drag racing is Trans Am funny car) and both of them have plenty of experience and knowledge.

Turbos, nitrous and superchargers all wear down an engine faster than it would wear down if it were stock.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:54 AM   #24
99integra
CF's Florida boy

You are absolutely right the Satty. But the engine wear would greatly be decreased if you had engine modifications that could support force fed power. The nitrous is a little worse than the turbo/superchargers because that just gets it crankin too fast
Old 06-09-2005, 04:58 AM   #25
1990 mustang
CF Newbie

Quote:
What the **** is wrong with you guys? Just because a guy uses nitrous on his car, your calling him a pussy? What the hell is wrong with using nitrous, I know alot of guys who use nitrous. Jesus you guys are ****ing rude. This guy comes here to ask for help, and you all jump on him.

Anyway, you could probably get $6,000 out of the car.

hey thanks for actually giving me a price i dont see why everyone made such a big deal about the nitrous thing it isnt even hooked up in the car i just said that it comes with it and where i live unless you have $60,000 to spend on a car or use nitrous you are not going to win. thanks again.
1990 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 03:20 AM   #26
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

$5-$6k sounds about right.

8.35@135...you're on the road to a 7 sec pass and hit the wall just before the 1000ft mark.

The power you can gain from nitrous VS. modding your naturally aspirated combo is rediculous. Let's see...75-125hp for about $500-$600(base Ford EFI system) or 75-125hp for the price of aluminum heads ($900+), a cam ($165+), an intake (at least $325+), headers ($200+)....you do all that on a mustang and there are so many more parts that need to be upgraded as well...MAF/throttle body/injectors/fuel pump/exhaust system/ignition/etc.

So you can piss away money and have a car that is loud as hell, rattles and shakes, but it's fast...or you can have a sleepy stock sound as well as a smooth ride and still be fast when you need to be.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #27
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
$5-$6k sounds about right.

8.35@135...you're on the road to a 7 sec pass and hit the wall just before the 1000ft mark.

The power you can gain from nitrous VS. modding your naturally aspirated combo is rediculous. Let's see...75-125hp for about $500-$600(base Ford EFI system) or 75-125hp for the price of aluminum heads ($900+), a cam ($165+), an intake (at least $325+), headers ($200+)....you do all that on a mustang and there are so many more parts that need to be upgraded as well...MAF/throttle body/injectors/fuel pump/exhaust system/ignition/etc.

So you can piss away money and have a car that is loud as hell, rattles and shakes, but it's fast...or you can have a sleepy stock sound as well as a smooth ride and still be fast when you need to be.

I know a guy who has a white 1993 Mustang GT and it looks bone stock. You wouldnt even think to look at it that it will stay with almost anything put up to it. It a 302 V8 thats been bored and stroked out to a 346, had all the internals redone, rods, pistons, cam, crankshaft, etc. And had the intake and everything else done to it. He has also done a whole lot of suspension work to it, and it corners like Ive never seen a American car corner before. But on top of all this it has a Vortech T-Trim Supercharger and its making somewhere around close to 900hp. You could be riding in it and just have the smoothest, quietest ride. I guarantee you that it could run with the Porsches in track races.

When I say quiet I mean that its still loud just not so loud that it sounds like a damn funny car.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:36 AM   #28
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 mustang
hey guys whats up i have a 1990 mustang gt hatchback it has 104000 miles on it it has hooker headers, 2 chamber flowmaster cut off and an x-pipe , cold air intake underdriver pullys it has a world class t5 trans with a short throw shifter an adjustable quadrant and a center force clutch the interior is in really good shape and the body is pretty much perfect it just needs paint it also as 4 new tires it also has a 150 shot of nitrous not hooked up it has perfermance lowering springs if i were to sell it what would be a good starting price thanks

Ask $4000, but really you're looking at more around $3000-$3500.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:43 AM   #29
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
What the **** is wrong with you guys? Just because a guy uses nitrous on his car, your calling him a pussy? What the hell is wrong with using nitrous, I know alot of guys who use nitrous. Jesus you guys are ****ing rude. This guy comes here to ask for help, and you all jump on him.

Anyway, you could probably get $6,000 out of the car.

No way can he get $6000 for a 90 Mustang. About the only way you'll get that much out of a 90 Mustang is if it has a new motor that's supercharged (or turbocharged, or a much bigger/nicer new motor).

I mean he has a fair amount of mods (but really only add up to about $2000-$3000 pending how much he spent). The private party value of his exact model mustang with his exact mileage with needing a new paint job is $1,650. So if you really look at the big picture he's not going to see over $4000 (realistically $3000-$3500) unless he gets a really f'in dumb idiot to buy it and knows nothing about how cheap foxbody 5.0's really are.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote