Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
vdraughndavis
CF Newbie

2000 Ford Windstar Instrument Panel Problems

I am having problems with my instrument panel on my 2000 Ford Windstar. My speedometer and odometer both quit at the same time. About 2 weeks later my ABS and brake lamps both went steady. Recently, after a stay at the Mechanics, all started working for about 20 minutes - Now im back at nothing. I would rather not pay big money to Ford to check this - I'm a Do-it-yourselfer.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
vdraughndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:53 AM   #2
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdraughndavis
I am having problems with my instrument panel on my 2000 Ford Windstar. My speedometer and odometer both quit at the same time. About 2 weeks later my ABS and brake lamps both went steady. Recently, after a stay at the Mechanics, all started working for about 20 minutes - Now im back at nothing. I would rather not pay big money to Ford to check this - I'm a Do-it-yourselfer.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

speedo odometer work off one sensor(dash pic)they tend to rot off at the joint between plastic and metal
your abs and brake light is on telling you theres a malfunction in the abs/brakes but check the basics first here no leaks fluid level in the master cylinder full(dot3 brake fliud) if this check out ok then a wheel speed sensor(seperate from the speedo) could be faulty. need to have it hooked up to a scanner

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
vdraughndavis
CF Newbie

2000 Ford Windstar Problems

Thanks for the info. I'm beginning to believe I have Computer problems. Since my last posting, I have had more little quirks and problems. My Windshield Wipers, Dash Lights,Power Windows, Radio, etc only work when my key is turned back to Auxiliary, They wont work when the engine is running. Do you think that it's the Front Electronic Module thats to blame. I cant find any info on which module controls what.
Thanks Again,
Vanessa
Old 08-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdraughndavis
Thanks for the info. I'm beginning to believe I have Computer problems. Since my last posting, I have had more little quirks and problems. My Windshield Wipers, Dash Lights,Power Windows, Radio, etc only work when my key is turned back to Auxiliary, They wont work when the engine is running. Do you think that it's the Front Electronic Module thats to blame. I cant find any info on which module controls what.
Thanks Again,
Vanessa

this sounds like an ignition switch not suppling power in the on/run position
with wear and tear acc position does not see much use and heavy loads(electric)burn out the contacts
the ignition switch will supply power to different areas not just the fuse box
1 wire power in
1wire starter
2 wires for ignition
2 wires for acc/heater
so there is 5 main wires sending power out to different areas

also included a pic of the switch(location is base of the steering colum behind trim cover)

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
vdraughndavis
CF Newbie

2000 Ford Windstar Problems

Okay, I think that I have narrowed it down to the Front ECM. I replaced the Ignition Control Module with a brand new one and this didnt help. I have found a ECM from a salvage 2000 Windstar and I need to know if it will work in my vehicle.
My numbers are YF2T-13C788-AB / 0300FCDGHT85 / FEM-C
The salvage part's are YF2T-13C788-AA / 0300FCEMD5YP / FEM-CE.

Can anyone tell me what the difference would be and if this would work on my van.

Thanks
Vanessa
Old 10-25-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
captmarkb
CF Newbie

ECM's need to be flash programed to the specifics of the vehicle - need to get a dealer grade (expensive) scan tool for this job.

Similar problem on the wife's windstar (2000) last week. turns out the #10 fuse on the interior panel was blown. Mechanic says he has seen a few of these in the past year - and getting more frequent. He called back the following day to say he thinks ford had no margin in the electrical distribution and that if anything experienced wear and tear to the point of the current draw going up - pop goes the fuse. examples - heater core door motor draw goes up due to lack of lubricant on linkage, etc.

based on alldata search, I thought I had module-to-module comm problems (specifically on the SCP bus).
captmarkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:42 AM   #7
cgthe1stchoice
CF Newbie

Question Contrl Panel Problems

Today The Speedometer ,odometer,abs,and Air Conditioner Quit Working ,went To Autozne To Check Voltage Battery And Altinator, Are Both Good Can You Tell Me What Might Be Wrong?
cgthe1stchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
jax scott
CF Newbie

2000 Windstar

I have had the same scenario. In addition, the speedometer did not work, the overdrive was intermittent, the brake light was illuminated, and the cruise control did not function. This was found to be caused by an all too common defect in the Windstar. The brake master cylinder leaks out of the area where the brake switch screws into it from the bottom. The switch has control wiring going to it which feeds various other components and systems. Ford makes a "Brake Repair" package to solve all of this. It only costs $ 20.00. It comes with a new switch and a wiring pigtail adapter. Simply remove the air filter to get at the master cylinder and remove the old brake switch. I would clean the associated wiring with alcohol (on a cool engine) and allow it to dry and then re-tape and/or heat shrink tubing over the wiring for future protection. Install the new switch and adapter pigtail along with another 10a fuse in the driver's side fuse panel and you are all set....... much less than Ford would charge!:
jax scott is offline   Reply With Quote