Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
kickdrumz
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Quick question

I want to take the decals off my car with a heat gun. What should i use to peel it off so that i dont damage the original paint under neath. ? Thanks
kickdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Just use a credit card or peel it off with your fingers. If you use a hair dryer and heat it up in one spot and get it really hot, it'll help you get the peeling started in that spot and while you're peeling back, hit the adheisive part with the hot air and it'll make it easier.
Use some Goo Gone after your done to get the rest of the glue off, annnd to get it to look fairly flush use paint cleaner and then use a polish of your choice (Black Magic or Meguiars are the best IMO).
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
kickdrumz
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Just use a credit card or peel it off with your fingers. If you use a hair dryer and heat it up in one spot and get it really hot, it'll help you get the peeling started in that spot and while you're peeling back, hit the adheisive part with the hot air and it'll make it easier.
Use some Goo Gone after your done to get the rest of the glue off, annnd to get it to look fairly flush use paint cleaner and then use a polish of your choice (Black Magic or Meguiars are the best IMO).

yo thanks alot man i really appreciate that.
kickdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Ay son thats one thing I recently did its bound to work, no prollem
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
kickdrumz
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Ay son thats one thing I recently did its bound to work, no prollem

But yo its just not a regular decal is a whole red stripe going all around the car. I took a little bit off last night but it took way too and in the process i stratched it a little bit , and not to mention i was taking the paint off with a spacula.
kickdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
http://car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=22930
Check out that whole thread
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
kickdrumz
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra

thanks for the thread , nice truck homie
kickdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickdrumz
thanks for the thread , nice truck homie
Thanks bro
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
kickdrumz
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Thanks bro

no problem here is another question , what can i use to peel off the paint? Because when i use the heat gun i can use my fingers because it is hot as hell and it doesnt come off all in 1 long strip like yours , i have to push it off with something. And when i was using the spacula i dug into the orignal paint in a couple of spots. What can i use to take it off without stracthing or digging into the orignal paint?
kickdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
I had burned raw fingers for about a week because I just put up with the hurt while I was doin it, kinda f*ckin determined to get them off lol. Use either a credit card or you could buy a plastic razor, or just somethin that isn't metal lol.
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
kickdrumz
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
I had burned raw fingers for about a week because I just put up with the hurt while I was doin it, kinda f*ckin determined to get them off lol. Use either a credit card or you could buy a plastic razor, or just somethin that isn't metal lol.

lol yo you are hardcore money lol , but wouldnt the heat from the heat gun melt the credit card , or a the plastic razor?
kickdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #12
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickdrumz
lol yo you are hardcore money lol , but wouldnt the heat from the heat gun melt the credit card , or a the plastic razor?
Lol bro I didn't use a heat gun I used a hair dryer, and I wouldn't know, never used a heat gun before, I do it the ol fashioned way.
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
kickdrumz
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Lol bro I didn't use a heat gun I used a hair dryer, and I wouldn't know, never used a heat gun before, I do it the ol fashioned way.

oh ok koo so the hair dryer didnt melt the plastic card? And how long did it take to heat that up with the hair dryer?
kickdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #14
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickdrumz
oh ok koo so the hair dryer didnt melt the plastic card? And how long did it take to heat that up with the hair dryer?
Shit 10 seconds on HIGH in one spot will heat up the adheisive to make it easier. I used a library card and naw it didn't melt at all, cept the sides got blunt so don't use a card you use all the time.
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #15
kickdrumz
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Shit 10 seconds on HIGH in one spot will heat up the adheisive to make it easier. I used a library card and naw it didn't melt at all, cept the sides got blunt so don't use a card you use all the time.

ight koo man i appreciate all your help , i will quit buggin you now. lol
kickdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.