Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2004, 05:08 AM   #1
72Cutlass442
CF Newbie

Need a little Title help.

I know I just posed a topic but I have something now that is of great concern to me and I am at the end of my rope. I purchased a 1971 Super Beetle from an Air Force friend of mine just before he transferred to Alaska. The problem is that when we did the title paperwork I didn't realize that the title he was signing over to me was that of a 94 Isuzu Rodeo. I have that title but he can't seem to find the one for the bug. If I wanted to be a jerk then I could just report my Isuzu stolen but I don't want to do that. He just doesn't seem willing to file for lost title on the beetle himself and according to the Texas Department of Transportation I can't file for lost title without him and the paperwork has to be done from the original state of issue. That wold be Oregon for him I think but since he doesn't seem to want to deal with this (he's deploying next week for 6 months and I can't wait that long) is there anything that I can do to get the title on my own. I'm sure that some of you mechanics have had vehicles that the owner just says to hell with it and leaves it so you have the car and no title. How do I get the title? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
54 Chevy Custom Deluxe 5 Window
71 Super Beetle
Working on getting the 71 GTX 440
72Cutlass442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:16 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Cutlass442
I know I just posed a topic but I have something now that is of great concern to me and I am at the end of my rope. I purchased a 1971 Super Beetle from an Air Force friend of mine just before he transferred to Alaska. The problem is that when we did the title paperwork I didn't realize that the title he was signing over to me was that of a 94 Isuzu Rodeo. I have that title but he can't seem to find the one for the bug. If I wanted to be a jerk then I could just report my Isuzu stolen but I don't want to do that. He just doesn't seem willing to file for lost title on the beetle himself and according to the Texas Department of Transportation I can't file for lost title without him and the paperwork has to be done from the original state of issue. That wold be Oregon for him I think but since he doesn't seem to want to deal with this (he's deploying next week for 6 months and I can't wait that long) is there anything that I can do to get the title on my own. I'm sure that some of you mechanics have had vehicles that the owner just says to hell with it and leaves it so you have the car and no title. How do I get the title? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Unless the state of Texas has changed their procedure, all you need is a notarized Bill of Sale (on the official state BOS form) for said vehicle and a trip to any DMV office. Keep in mind I haven't done that for almost six years now so it might have changed.

Alternately, you could stay sober when buying a car and doing the paperwork. Isuzu and Volkswagen only have one of the same letters. How in the hell could you screw that up?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:19 AM   #3
72Cutlass442
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Unless the state of Texas has changed their procedure, all you need is a notarized Bill of Sale (on the official state BOS form) for said vehicle and a trip to any DMV office. Keep in mind I haven't done that for almost six years now so it might have changed.

Alternately, you could stay sober when buying a car and doing the paperwork. Isuzu and Volkswagen only have one of the same letters. How in the hell could you screw that up?
I just wasn't paying attention is all. Thanks, I didn't even think about going that route. I'll give it a try.
54 Chevy Custom Deluxe 5 Window
71 Super Beetle
Working on getting the 71 GTX 440
72Cutlass442 is offline   Reply With Quote