Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Lutz says GM needs another brand cut

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102049

Lutz said it himself. As sales continue to slide (as seen in another post, $850+ billion losses in first quarter), Lutz said GM will need to cut yet another brand. Any takers on which it will be? I believe Buick. The only car that can save Buick now is the Lacrosse (and I really dont tihnk it will).

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:08 AM   #2
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102049

Lutz said it himself. As sales continue to slide (as seen in another post, $850+ billion losses in first quarter), Lutz said GM will need to cut yet another brand. Any takers on which it will be? I believe Buick. The only car that can save Buick now is the Lacrosse (and I really dont tihnk it will).

You mean million haha

Well, I bet it will be Buick, Buick is pretty much dead. Though, I simply love Pontiac, not the new stuff they've been making, but, cars from 96 and earlier. Pontiac has done this to themselves, ALL their cars look the same, it frustrates me year after year after year seeing the same car over and over again. Grand-Am's look like Grand Prix's, even the GTO looks like a Grand prix, it's that retarded grill they have on them, Junk.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:46 AM   #3
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
You mean million haha

Well, I bet it will be Buick, Buick is pretty much dead. Though, I simply love Pontiac, not the new stuff they've been making, but, cars from 96 and earlier. Pontiac has done this to themselves, ALL their cars look the same, it frustrates me year after year after year seeing the same car over and over again. Grand-Am's look like Grand Prix's, even the GTO looks like a Grand prix, it's that retarded grill they have on them, Junk.

Yup, meant million. I need to stop writing Econ papers during postings. I actually like Pontiac's new lineup for the most part. They REALLY need to get rid COMPLETELY of the 3.8 though (and the 3.5 OHV). That 2.8/3.6 DOHC motor should be the two motors dominating their lineup. Next to the 4.6L Northstar. Reason why I cant say I like pre96 Pontiacs is simply due to the fact my good friend has a 95 Grand AM Quad Four (never knew how shitty that engine was til I drove his car...) and it is simply put, the worst car I've ever seen put together.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:52 AM   #4
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Yup, meant million. I need to stop writing Econ papers during postings. I actually like Pontiac's new lineup for the most part. They REALLY need to get rid COMPLETELY of the 3.8 though (and the 3.5 OHV). That 2.8/3.6 DOHC motor should be the two motors dominating their lineup. Next to the 4.6L Northstar. Reason why I cant say I like pre96 Pontiacs is simply due to the fact my good friend has a 95 Grand AM Quad Four (never knew how shitty that engine was til I drove his car...) and it is simply put, the worst car I've ever seen put together.

Yah the quad 4's were terrible terrible terrible engines, but the quad 4's weren't so widely used, it was mostly the 2.8's and 3.1's. They weren't very good engines either, but they did give you your bang for your buck, they made pretty good power, especially torque.

Anyway, it's not the powertrains that I mean when I say pre 96, otherwise 97 and up would have the better powertrain with the supercharged models and 3.8's and such. I just don't like the body style, nor how big they've made the cars. I like my mid-size 2-door GP, not the new full-size 4-doors, and they've just gotten cheeky on their cars designs lately too.

Really, it's sad to see either of the two to go, my first car, an olds (same thing as Buick as you probably know), was a very, very good car. Made good power with that 3.8 engine, got better gas mileage than my GP despite the fact that it's a smaller car and has a smaller engine. Never gave me one problem, unlike my GP which seems to take more of my time than the average woman

GM needs to begin innovating again, Chrysler has finally started again, with PT Cruisers, Crossfires, re-birth of the Hemi, and what does GM have to show? The Aztek? Hell, the car Homer designed on a Simpsons episode is more appealing than that thing. I personally like the new Solstice, I would surely buy one, they're cheap, and they just appeal to me, I like small sports cars, but it's still not innovative, it looks like that BMW Z4.

GM needs to get with the new generation. Follow in Ford and Chryslers foot-steps. Design a high-power vehicle and sell it for below the 25k mark, design a car that appeals to teenagers and sell it around the 10k mark, Cavaliers and Sunfires were a lost cause, they were one of the ugliest sets of cars to ever come from GM. What about their replacements? The Chevy Cobalt and Pontiac Pursuit, they don't appeal to the younger generation at all. All I've seen driving them is 70 year old men, they were better off with the Cavaliers and Sunfires. They don't produce a single vehicle that a 20 year old kid, looking for their first new car, will want to purchase, when lots of the market is at the lower end, because that's where all the kids are. They're going to drive themselves into the ground if they keep it up. I love GM, but I'm consistantly getting driven away from them by their ignorance, ignoring what the people really want.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitNews
General Motors Corp.'s top sales executive assured alarmed dealers Thursday that the automaker has no plans to kill one of its U.S. brands a day after Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said GM could "phase out" some struggling nameplates if sales continue to fall.

While LaNeve said there are no plans to drop a division, he said GM will slim down a brand's offerings if necessary to focus marketing efforts and other costs on promising products.

"If there has to be four or five (models) ... as opposed to nine or 10, I'll make that trade-off," he said.

LaNeve promised the company would "reignite Pontiac's muscular design and street credibility" and build Buick as a brand with vehicles that are the "quietest and highest-quality."
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/25/A01-128984.htm

Old 03-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothicaleigh
LaNeve promised the company would "reignite Pontiac's muscular design and street credibility" and build Buick as a brand with vehicles that are the "quietest and highest-quality.

It's about time. Now that's what the people want.