Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
CarCrazyManiac
CF Newbie

Confused

Okay well I've been looking at cars, automatics, and well I'm confused. Why is it that if they aren't stick shift they have 2 and a 1. Meaning it goes P, R, D, N, 2, 1. Why? also with some of the cars theres also another stick that has a 2H, 4H, and whatever else. Again why? And my last question is about how to know how much gas to put in your car. Theres the five lines does it go 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 gallons? I just never really figured that out. Thanks in advance.
CarCrazyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazyManiac
Okay well I've been looking at cars, automatics, and well I'm confused. Why is it that if they aren't stick shift they have 2 and a 1. Meaning it goes P, R, D, N, 2, 1.
1,2 and D are all "go forward" gears. D (drive) will automatically change between all gears in the gearbox, depending on the driving conditions. 1 will only use 1st gear, 2 will only use 1st and 2nd. etc etc

Quote:
also with some of the cars theres also another stick that has a 2H, 4H, and whatever else. Again why?
That's in 4 wheel drive cars, for 4wd and 2wd changing.

Quote:
And my last question is about how to know how much gas to put in your car. Theres the five lines does it go 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 gallons? I just never really figured that out. Thanks in advance.
The pump should automatically cut out once the tank is full.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:38 AM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You

When you drop it into low you don't have coasting via the sprag clutch. This can be beneficial if you want to crawl down a hill with some compression braking.

Selecting low gears are probably well suited for places with icey roads, but I have only ever used "1" on the farm in the mud.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
And my last question is about how to know how much gas to put in your car. Theres the five lines does it go 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 gallons? I just never really figured that out. Thanks in advance.

the five lines mean "empty, 1/4 tank, 1/2 tank, 3/4 tank, and Full" How many gallons each is is based on the size of your tank, and that varies by car. The owner's manual will give capacities, or you can just fill it up from empty and see how much it holds.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote