Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2005, 08:22 AM   #1
VoRtEx-DeSiGn
CF Newbie

Post Any info...

I just bought a 2001 Chevy Astro, after talking to people about how I should get a "Real" Sports car. I know its an Astro van, but hell I still think It can give people a run for thier money (At Norwalk of course). But my problem Is a lack of performance parts to fit my application.

I allready plan on doing the basic stuff, Hot Dip/Tank the block, Porting/Polishing Of the Heads, mayhaps larger valves, and (If nessasary) a .03 bore.

The problem is I cannot seem to find any performance parts anywhere that look like they would fit my need. The van has a 4.3L V6, and I found an ehaust system online for it and a Cold Air Intake. Thats about as far as the performance parts go that I could locate.

What I would be looking for is the following:
Cam
Supercharger
Headers
Underdrive Pully
Custom Computer Tuning
Coil-Over (I would prefer these, I found the lowering kits and whatnot)
Any parts that would help strengthen the engine due to increased load (Forged crank, pistons, ect.)
Reccomendations

The big thing is I'm tired of everyone assuming at work just because it isn't designed to be a sports car it has no potential. Besides, I like being a little diffrent anyway, why be a part of the flock of sheep if you know what I mean.

On a diffrent note as far a shot of Nitrous (Spelling?) Is concerned my father (the mechanic) pointed out to me that it was hell/asking for it to just add more power out of no-where rather than slowly adding power. Meaning that if I where to go this route I would likely end up with a grenade for an engine, Is there any merit to what he is telling me? I figure if I where to stregthen up the engine to take the increased strain of power that it wouldn't have any issues with a 100-150 shot of nitrous.

Any further comments/help/suggestions would be greatly apprieciated.

(I appoligize about my bad spelling)

-Nathanial
VoRtEx-DeSiGn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

just throw a 350 in it. it's not hard to do, and they make performance parts for those (so i've heard)

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
glagon1979
daddy x3

there is a guy around my town that has an astro with a 396 in it