Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2005, 05:57 AM   #16
BMWGuru
CF Newbie

i didn't really read, but if you haven't already, just go to sears and have them hook it up and check it out. it'll cost you like $12 and save you lots of time and energy.
BMWGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #17
carls47807
CF Freak

alternator

didn't read any of the posts, but since it's an 88 celebrity and you are going to ruin too much by doing the following, here goes:

start the car up
pull off the battery terminals
if it stays running your alternator is fine and you have a bad battery.
If the car shuts off you have a bad charging system. Check the little in line fuses gm puts in everything, try running a new wire directly from the output side of the alternator to the positive on the battery and see if it starts charging again.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:57 AM   #18
marpsa
CF Newbie

try to help you.

hi there why do you try to your engine distributor, wirrings coming from the alternator going to your battery sometimes it happens that the electricity that alternator gave to your battery jump out due to grounded so try to check all the wires came from alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB
Hopefully someone can help me out here...

I have a 1988 Chevy Celebrity. It's the 2.5L 4 banger Iron Duke motor. This one's distributorless. It's got AC.

The problem I have is that the car runs off the battery until the battery dies. The alternator doesn't charge the battery. I don't think it does anything.

To make a long story short, the alternator won't charge the battery. I've had a total of two "new" alternators and four new batteries.

I parked the car for three years because it was a third car, but now my second car has thrown a rod and I need to get this one going. With the fourth new battery, the car fired right up as if it never sat at all. It idled for several hours then I shut it off and couldn't get it to re-start.

The battery now reads 10.4VDC.

There is a schematic of the engine wiring here . The diagram for my engine is called 0900823d800f4041.gif.

The diagram shows two red wires coming off the alternator. The large red one goes to the starter. The smaller red wire goes to a fusible link then on to a relay. I have continuity from the wire plug on the alternator all the way to the relay. I'm not sure what that relay is because the colors of the wires on it don't match any of the relays shown in the electrical systems diagram. But the fusible link is good.

On the positive terminal of the battery I can test the continuity of the wire up to the first fusible link. I haven't been able to trace where the wire from the fusible link goes. It's orange, not red like the diagram I posted says. I'm pretty sure that fusible link is good because once I start the car everything in it works- the radio, lights, horn, AC, etc.

I'm stuck now. I know the alternator and battery are good. The fusible link from the alternator is good. If I charge the battery on my trickle charger the car will fire right up and run smooth. What do I replace/test next?
marpsa is offline   Reply With Quote