Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2004, 01:43 PM   #1
Zubei
CF Newbie

Never driven manual before, but i want to learn...

Whats a good way to learn? right now i have no car because my last car died. I know a mechanic that wants to sell a manual prelude for 800. Id like to buy it but i dont want to kill it learning how to drive with it. Any suggestions? thanks.
Zubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:05 PM   #2
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

have a friend with a manual that would teach? or any familly?
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Zubei
CF Newbie

I only know one person that drives a manual, and he wont allow me to learn on his car.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

See if you can find a manual car at a rental place. Then you and your friend can rent the car for a day, he can show you how it's done, you can practice until you get it down.

The only "good" way to learn is to do it.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Zubei
CF Newbie

i know thats the best way, but i wish there was an easier way for me to learn. Im just scared that i may screw up this car if i try to learn on it.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #6
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

It's not that hard. It's all in the timing and getting used to it. Yeah, you may grind a gear or two or maybe wear the clutch a little more than is necessary but that is part of learning and your not going to destroy the car in a day.

After a bunch of tries your friend should be able to tell if your getting it or not.

Now stop worrying about it and get it done.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #7
ILdriver
CF Newbie

its realy not thet hard

its much easier to learn manual on a diesel engine powered car .

the car wont go off every time if you throw the clutch to early or things like this.

its great .

i learned how to drive on a diesel car and after 45 minutes i was in the shifting stuff no sweat
Old 08-07-2004, 06:54 AM   #8
MaChao
CF Newbie

I don't know how old the Prelude is, but if it's like '98 - then $800 is a steal.

Now - I don't know manual myself, but I learned a little about manual driving (not the driving itself, but the grinding gears and other little stuff).

So yea, I don't think you'll kill your car in a day and if you take it slow, then you're going to learn eventually without too much wear and tear on it.

Of course, you can look for alternatives, but that's all I have to say.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:38 AM   #9
VMJYogi
CF Addict

U could practice on an already crappy car grinding gears and slipping clutch for 3 days str8 and the thing would still run. Dont worry about breaking anything. And it'll take about a week to fully master the concept. Then ur gonna start messin around with burn-outs-n all that good stuff. And unless its a 93 or lower paying 800 for that car sounds a little fishy. Probably means the car willl not last very long. Just my 2 centavos.

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:32 AM   #10
enron fever
CF Addict

heh. listen dude, just buy the car it's a good deal. and if you are careful, you won't ruin it. i first learned how to use a clutch on an 18 year old car with 250k miles on it. it took me probably a good 3 hours of constant work to get the basics down. you will have to be careful for the first month or so of driving, as you won't have gotten completely used to it yet, but just take a weekend and find an empty church parking lot and just go for it.

of course, it always helps to have a friend or parent with you to kind of coach you. i also would recommend not going into the other gears at first. shifting is easy. it's getting started from a stop in 1st gear that'll getcha, so practice that the most. also remember emergency braking. in an auto, you just have to slam the brake, but if you want to at least try to keep your car in a usuable condition after the fact, you need to train your left foot to also slam on the clutch if indeed a situation like that arises.
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:24 PM   #11
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

If you get a manual and an empty parking lot, i'll give you 45 minutes until you stop stalling when you try to start off in first. After that youll be good to drive on city streets. Then I'll give you a week until you stop grinding gears and bogging down the car. Don't be intimidated by it.

As for tips, just get in the car rev up a little( like to 1500 or so) start to VERY slowly let out the clutch. When the car starts to pull forward a little bit, give more gas and keep slowly letting out the clutch.

Good luck!

PS: $800 dollars is a steal for that car, very, very good. Unless it's old school(80's style) So make sure you take someone who knows there stuff about cars with you to look at it. Makre sure the engine is cold when you get there so you can open up the radiator to check for bubbles and oil in the water(Blown head gasket) and you can check for any leaks and things of that sort. You know, the usual stuff.

Peace out man!