Foriegn 2 28.57%
General 0 0%
Other (Please specify) 3 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
thinkink
CF Newbie

Best place to post 87' Nova

In respect to this message board, where is the best place to post questions regarding a 1987 Chevy nova? Domestic or foreign?
For the record, It has a 4 cylinder Toyota engine!
thinkink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
SuperJew
I like pie.

umm. lets see. Chevy = American

that would be domestic!

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkink
In respect to this message board, where is the best place to post questions regarding a 1987 Chevy nova? Domestic or foreign?
For the record, It has a 4 cylinder Toyota engine!
If you're here to ask for help with repairs, why not just "Repairs and Maintenance"? Why didn't I think of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
umm. lets see. Chevy = American

that would be domestic!
So... Would an '87 Toyota Corolla, built on the same assembly line as the Nova in Fremont, CA also be considered a domestic? How about a Honda built in Marysville, OH or a BMW built in Spartanburg, SC? Where would your Neon go, it's not made in the US, Europe or Asia but in Mexico? Maybe we need another forum for the poor cars that don't have a home. Maybe some of these cars are being discriminated against and should retain an attorney. Just a thought.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:09 AM   #4
thinkink
CF Newbie

Just as I thought!

Well, I'm glad to see my question isn't a stupid one, since the first responders are highly recognized individuals on this site, and yet have differing opinions.

My personal opinion is that a flat declaration that "Chevy = American" therefore "Domestic," is too conclusive, and doesn't address the critical fact that the "American" car has a 100% FOREIGN engine, but then again, Japan has bought up a huge chunk of American assets over the past 20 years, so I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to consider JAPANESE to be American.

Anyway, the reason for my question wasn't lost on VWHOBO, who clearly understands my motivation behind my question.
What differentiates Domestic from Foreign? The name of the product or the place of manufacture?

Since it is a TOYOTA engine, it seems logical to assume it would be foriegn, at least for the sake of addressing the engine!?
Since my poll currently shows 3 different responders with 3 different opinions, I believe I've inadvertantly uncovered a confusing quagmire which requires further debate in order to assure that bastard models, such as mine, are categorized in an appropriate manner.

Thanks for the input so far, I am looking forward to any further opinions that will help me determine the best classification for my vehicle.

BTW, Vwhobo recomended the "Repairs and Maintenance" forum, this seems logical except that I hope to pursue more than repairs and/or maintenance, I also want to ask for opinions regarding issues unrelated to repairs and maintenance. Is it possible to generate forums specific to makes and models, so related threads could be confined to the appropriate vehicle and/or engine? seems to me that would be far easier to uncover topics addressed on specific vehicles, as oppossed to spending hours upon hours sifting through unrelated forums in order to find any information rwelated to a specific problem.

Thanx again!
Old 09-13-2004, 05:42 AM   #5
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

hey hey... its got the same engine as me! and if you get the nova SS, its got the 4age also found in the GTS corolla
just thought it would be fun to say that...

but anyways... since its a chevy, id say domestic... just cuz of the name... but its got a foreign heart if you will (motor)
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:53 AM   #6
ObjectsRCloser
CF Newbie

Well, Nova means 'doesn't go' in Spanish. Gives it an international feel.
ObjectsRCloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:45 AM   #7
thinkink
CF Newbie

No SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
hey hey... its got the same engine as me! and if you get the nova SS, its got the 4age also found in the GTS corolla
just thought it would be fun to say that...

but anyways... since its a chevy, id say domestic... just cuz of the name... but its got a foreign heart if you will (motor)

Nope, sorry, no SS, But my recollection is that my 72' Chevy Nova was a 350 small block, Super Sport.

Wish I had that car today, it was my 1st car, it was 6 years old when I bought it for $700.00, and it was in perfect condition, wont find a bargain like that again, I believe it was rated at 200 HP, but it's predecessors (in the late 60's) had the 350 big block (as an option), which was rated at 300 HP, but that was before the gas crisis.

Feel free to jump in and correct me for any errors, my memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
thinkink
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObjectsRCloser
Well, Nova means 'doesn't go' in Spanish. Gives it an international feel.

Here's a link I think you'll find interesting, it addresses the "doesn't go" translation for "Nova." it's short yet thurough in it's information, easy reading.

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Also, follow the history link within the page for a very informative history on the Chevy Nova, if your interested of course.

Anyone old enough to remember seeing the late 60's and early 70's Nova's flying down the Blvd with hood scoops and exposed Air cleaners could never contemplate that "Nova" and "doesn't go" mean the same thing.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
ObjectsRCloser
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkink
Here's a link I think you'll find interesting, it addresses the "doesn't go" translation for "Nova." it's short yet thurough in it's information, easy reading.

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Also, follow the history link within the page for a very informative history on the Chevy Nova, if your interested of course.

Anyone old enough to remember seeing the late 60's and early 70's Nova's flying down the Blvd with hood scoops and exposed Air cleaners could never contemplate that "Nova" and "doesn't go" mean the same thing.

Interesting article. It's good to see that the Nova managed to do well in Spanish-speaking countries. Here's another site you might like:

http://www.i18nguy.com/translations.html

There are a lot of international business mistakes here, including several for automobiles. My favorites are the Toyota MR2, Buick LaCrosse, and of course the Honda Fitta.
ObjectsRCloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:21 PM   #10
thinkink
CF Newbie

Thumbs up Very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObjectsRCloser
Interesting article. It's good to see that the Nova managed to do well in Spanish-speaking countries. Here's another site you might like:

http://www.i18nguy.com/translations.html

There are a lot of international business mistakes here, including several for automobiles. My favorites are the Toyota MR2, Buick LaCrosse, and of course the Honda Fitta.

Interesting and informative, imagine my surprise to find my favourite liqueur (Irish Mist Liqueur) included in the list.

Considering it is the wetest, most succulent whiskey I've ever tasted, regardless of the price tag.
I can't believe it has any negative reputation.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:49 AM   #11
SuperNova
CF Newbie

Toyota !

i have a 87 nova the fact is that chevy did not make it they stoped making it b-4 the 80's toyota made it ..it is not just the engine look at the brake calibur but they are labled as chevy so it would be domestic
but technicly it is an import
SuperNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:30 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNova
i have a 87 nova the fact is that chevy did not make it they stoped making it b-4 the 80's toyota made it ..it is not just the engine look at the brake calibur but they are labled as chevy so it would be domestic
but technicly it is an import
No, Toyota did not "make it". Both cars were built in the same NUMMI factory in Freemont, CA as a joint venture based on a Toyota design. All Novas are built the US. Some Corollas were also concurrently built in Canada. The easiest way to tell is by looking at the VIN. If it starts with "1" it's US built and if it starts with "2" it's Canadian.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:38 AM   #13
SuperNova
CF Newbie

your pretty smart would you know where i can find pics of toyota/chevy novas at ?im trying to get more information and see what my car will look like if i put time and money in it
SuperNova is offline   Reply With Quote