Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2003, 12:41 AM   #1
stangthis03

headers info for '03 mustang gt

whats the difference between shorty headers and long tube headers performance-wise? if i stick with shortys, do i need to get a new X or H pipe?
Old 08-16-2003, 03:50 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: headers info for '03 mustang gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangthis03
whats the difference between shorty headers and long tube headers performance-wise? if i stick with shortys, do i need to get a new X or H pipe?

Well now, because you didn't specify actual dimensions we'll have to talk very generally. Generally speaking you'll probably see more torque with a shorty and more hp with the long tube.

The shorties are a bolt in, the long tubes will require fabrication. Also while most shorties are CARB legal I don't know of any longs that are.

And you didn't ask but I really like the BBK equal length shorties.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 12:02 AM   #3
stangthis03

i heard those are great headers, but i couldnt find any for '03's. i found some 1 1/2" macs. know anything about those? the main thing im concerned with is i dont want to have to buy a new H-pipe. i plan on welding some series 40 flowmasters on to the current stock 2 5/8" h-pipe, i dont want to have to cut them off and re-weld them back onto a new h-pipe.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:17 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangthis03
i heard those are great headers, but i couldnt find any for '03's. i found some 1 1/2" macs. know anything about those? the main thing im concerned with is i dont want to have to buy a new H-pipe. i plan on welding some series 40 flowmasters on to the current stock 2 5/8" h-pipe, i dont want to have to cut them off and re-weld them back onto a new h-pipe.

I've used MAC's before and have found them to be well made, BBK is just a preference after many installs. I haven't hung any (of any brand) on an '03 but I'm sure it's a good product.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 12:09 PM   #5
stangthis03

thanks for the info, ill keep looking for the BBK's