Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2005, 06:49 PM   #31
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

Thanks everyone...and I will have to personally slap anyone who suggests another minivan LOL
No seriously, we are going to check out Acura's, Nissan, and probably a few others this weekend ...as for Range Rovers = too pricey, Durango's...maybe, and as much as they are probably great handling, fast with good tow capacity..... I won't be scoping the minivans
Old 11-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #32
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloSV
Thanks everyone...and I will have to personally slap anyone who suggests another minivan LOL
No seriously, we are going to check out Acura's, Nissan, and probably a few others this weekend ...as for Range Rovers = too pricey, Durango's...maybe, and as much as they are probably great handling, fast with good tow capacity..... I won't be scoping the minivans

Whew, that was close. I can't believe performance oriented people keep suggesting minivans.

Be sure you check the gas mileage of the actual vehicles you're looking at. Just because a vehicle is smaller doesn't mean it gets better gas mileage. My fullsize Chevy pickup gets better mileage than my boss' new Range Rover (based on the BMW X5 platform). My pickup also got better mileage than an ex-roommates '94 Toyota pickup. The GM engines are surprisingly efficient when driven properly. But, if you're going to put 22's on it... say bye-bye to gas mileage. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Arrival Blue EXT, but that's just a preference.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:27 PM   #33
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
Whew, that was close. I can't believe performance oriented people keep suggesting minivans.
I hate to tell you, but in general minivans handle far better than SUV's generally do. After all, most minivan platforms are based off sedans.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:23 AM   #34
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

Be sure you check the gas mileage of the actual vehicles you're looking at. Just because a vehicle is smaller doesn't mean it gets better gas mileage. My fullsize Chevy pickup gets better mileage than my boss' new Range Rover (based on the BMW X5 platform). My pickup also got better mileage than an ex-roommates '94 Toyota pickup. The GM engines are surprisingly efficient when driven properly. But, if you're going to put 22's on it... say bye-bye to gas mileage. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Arrival Blue EXT, but that's just a preference.

Unibody minivans tend to handle better and sometimes are faster than heavier body on frame SUV's, not to mention not as prone to flip over. The Honda Odyssey for instance is noted for its very sporty car like handling, unlike some other minivans, that well, just feel like big cars. Not saying it handles like a S2000, but definatley has a noticeably more engaging ride than an Envoy or Expedition.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 AM   #35
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
I hate to tell you, but in general minivans handle far better than SUV's generally do. After all, most minivan platforms are based off sedans.

Did I mention anything about a minivan handling poorly? Didn't think so. IMO they're just basically an abomination to testosterone. A vehicle that requires your testicles as a down payment. I don't care if they handle better than an SUV, they look like crap and are the most emasculating thing on the road. There is not one thing anybody will ever say to change my opinion on minivans.

If you like them... fine.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:01 AM   #36
enron fever
CF Addict

ah yes, because we mustn't have our masculinity questioned, can we? most certainly not. such foolishness.
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:02 AM   #37
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Did I mention anything about a minivan handling poorly? Didn't think so. IMO they're just basically an abomination to testosterone. A vehicle that requires your testicles as a down payment. I don't care if they handle better than an SUV, they look like crap and are the most emasculating thing on the road. There is not one thing anybody will ever say to change my opinion on minivans.

I'd rather pay one testicle for a new Odyssey Touring than blow $30k+ on a blend in with everything no thrills Explorer. Iknow where you are coming from, but the Odyssey is just a different minivan than others, it looks much better, is faster, and handles better. I just enjoy a more engaging drive than a boring one...but that's just me.

Aside from the wing, I love it, looks much better than most any SUV.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #38
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:

Uh huh...seems to me anyone that worries about losing their masculinity from a car had an issue in that department to begin with...

Doesn't matter that they are faster, in general more fun to drive, you won't change your opinion? Great. A one dimension mind hopelessly lost in a stereotype with no hope of reason entering.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:55 PM   #39
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

And vice versa with people being anti-SUV, and the knee-jerk reaction to say "get anythig BUT an SUV." Sorry, but THAT argument goes both ways.

As far as flipping over, SUVs have gotten a bad rap, as their category of vehicle INCLUDES minivans in rollover statistics. Using rollovers is a bad example, as MOST rollovers happen from a tripping event, and numerically twice as many cars roll over each year as SUVs.

Remember, none of these vehciles roll over just because of being driven. They roll from doing something stupid an MAKING them roll. Sports cars as a whole have an even higher rollover rate. Guess why?

this one Diablo represents a larger percentage of exotics to roll over than all the SUVs that rolled over last year were a percentage of THAT population.

Add this one, and you incerease the percentge and rate dramatically:

Yet none of you got on here and told Diablo SV he was stupid for owning a car that rolled over statistically more than any SUV model does...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #40
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

I never said DON'T get an SUV, someone mentioned a minivan and I suggested a good pick. Only when someone mentioned that "performance oriented people" shouldn't like minivans did I go in this direction.

Come to think of it, I believe I recommended some SUV's for him. I have no problem with him buying an SUV.

Last edited by hondaman : 11-18-2005 at 08:03 PM.
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:14 PM   #41
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
I never said DON'T get an SUV, someone mentioned a minivan and I suggested a good pick. Only when someone mentioned that "performance oriented people" shouldn't like minivans did I go in this direction.

"A one dimension mind hopelessly lost in a stereotype with no hope of reason entering."

Same mentality as "SUVs ar Bad. Minivans Good."

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #42
DiabloSV
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
And vice versa with people being anti-SUV, and the knee-jerk reaction to say "get anythig BUT an SUV." Sorry, but THAT argument goes both ways.

As far as flipping over, SUVs have gotten a bad rap, as their category of vehicle INCLUDES minivans in rollover statistics. Using rollovers is a bad example, as MOST rollovers happen from a tripping event, and numerically twice as many cars roll over each year as SUVs.

Remember, none of these vehciles roll over just because of being driven. They roll from doing something stupid an MAKING them roll. Sports cars as a whole have an even higher rollover rate. Guess why?

this one Diablo represents a larger percentage of exotics to roll over than all the SUVs that rolled over last year were a percentage of THAT population.

Add this one, and you incerease the percentge and rate dramatically:

Yet none of you got on here and told Diablo SV he was stupid for owning a car that rolled over statistically more than any SUV model does...

Thanks Chris....you had to pick the Diablo....oh that's great....now I'll nightmares for a week ...thanks man...thanks...
No i do agree though...people will tend to rollover an exotic cause IMO - a) First of all they don't their children in the car b) they're also more apt to push the limits of said vehicle c) alot of the exoctics are designed to be able to accomodate a qualified driver...as you stated in an earlier post driving can be as dangerous at 40-50MPH as it is at 140MPH..depending on the driver...(did that make sense?)
Old 11-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #43
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
"A one dimension mind hopelessly lost in a stereotype with no hope of reason entering."

Same mentality as "SUVs ar Bad. Minivans Good."
I'll agree with you as long as that is not referring to me. Because honestly, I don't really care if he gets an SUV or not. Doesn't bother me either way, it's his choice, and some midsize SUVs are actually fairly well handling quick little boxes. Only reason I re-entered into this conversation is because of the needless and false bashing of minivans.

Last edited by hondaman : 11-18-2005 at 08:25 PM.
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #44
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
I'll agree with you as long as that is not referring to me. Because honestly, I don't really care if he gets an SUV or not. Doesn't bother me either way, it's his choice, and some midsize SUVs are actually fairly well handling quick little boxes. Only reason I re-entered into this conversation is because of the needless and false bashing of minivans.

My opinion can in no way be considered false (the nature of opinions), and "needless" is your opinion.

Unless it's an Astro/Safari, early Toyota 4X4 "vans" (more of a micro bus really), the VW Microbus (love to restore a '60's 21 window), and the turbo Caravans are entertaining on some level... but in general I see them as an abomination to the automotive world (my opinion... obviously). I can see how some people could appreciate the Honda...
Old 11-18-2005, 09:36 PM   #45
enron fever
CF Addict

how the hell are they an abomination to the automotive world?

i don't like SUV's for the simple reason that they are probably one of the more impractical cars ever designed. they are essentially trucks desperately trying to be minivans and failing at both. i've yet to see an suv that has any redeeming features over a minivan in terms of practicality, except that they help those with penile insecurities feel better about themselves.
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote