Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2004, 03:22 PM   #16
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
yeah yeah, spool your turbos up all you want, but you won't be pulling wheel stands in a fwd or awd 4-cyl turbo

lol. ill leave the wheelies to the bikes. and you gotta love the sound of the spooling turbo, its music to my ears.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #17
cinqyg
CF Freak

what do you think about dumpvalves?
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:51 PM   #18
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Very early Skylines had four cylinder engines....I think. Anyway, I used to chose the turbo'd imports over Muscle, but now I'd chose a classic '60's Mustang over any import!
Yeah, they had 4 cylinders in them... And one model of the 90's skylines did too..

Bav, this topic will continue no-matter how many times it is repeated because there will always be a way to ask the question in a slightly diffrent way and people will continue to do just that.. How come if you've been here for 3 months does your sig say you've been here for 9?

IMO muscle is better because turbos put greater pressure on engines and cause them to fail and the n/a engines give a smoother powerband and don't run the risk of spooling up on a corner and spinning you into the hedge backwards...!

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:07 PM   #19
cinqyg
CF Freak

yeah but most of them are connected to auto gearboxes which gives ou the same effect.

with musclue im not sure if they are much smother, if you think about it most V8's run out of breath at 4500rpm so you still end up shifting, the other issues that arise is weight, I am not currently aware of to many modern mass produced alloy v8's. Most have alloy heads but the blocks are nearly all Iron.
Theres the good old rover/buick 215, but thats far from modern not even OHC. There is the cyclone that i showed you all, but thats just 2 bike engines. What we need is a mapped 5-8 litre DOHC all alloy throughbolt design with the capability of running turbo's.

DOHC seems to be something relativley rare in the states and thats were most of the V8's are. Even BMW uses the old scrap iron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
Yeah, they had 4 cylinders in them... And one model of the 90's skylines did too..

Bav, this topic will continue no-matter how many times it is repeated because there will always be a way to ask the question in a slightly diffrent way and people will continue to do just that.. How come if you've been here for 3 months does your sig say you've been here for 9?

IMO muscle is better because turbos put greater pressure on engines and cause them to fail and the n/a engines give a smoother powerband and don't run the risk of spooling up on a corner and spinning you into the hedge backwards...!
Old 05-24-2004, 02:27 AM   #20
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
true, but then we wont be cournering like a hover craft either

You do realize that, everything else being equal, on pavement a rear wheel drive car handles better than a front wheel drive car right?

Quote:
yeah but most of them are connected to auto gearboxes which gives ou the same effect.

with musclue im not sure if they are much smother, if you think about it most V8's run out of breath at 4500rpm so you still end up shifting, the other issues that arise is weight, I am not currently aware of to many modern mass produced alloy v8's.

The 99 and 01 Mustang Cobra's had aluminum alloy blocks. While the 4.6 is a relatively small engine, it has a fairly long stroke. The engine produces its max horsepower at 6,000 RPM thanks to 32 valve cylinder heads and dual overhead cams. For the 2003 Cobra Ford switched to a cast iron block because they wanted something that could take the extra cylinder pressures of a supercharged engine, but it still loves to rev.

Quote:
Most have alloy heads but the blocks are nearly all Iron.
Theres the good old rover/buick 215, but thats far from modern not even OHC. There is the cyclone that i showed you all, but thats just 2 bike engines. What we need is a mapped 5-8 litre DOHC all alloy throughbolt design with the capability of running turbo's.

Turbo Driven Concepts makes turbo kits for 4.6L SOHC GT Engine, 4.6L DOHC Cobra Engine, and 5.0L pre 1996 GT engine. A Mustang engine bay can accomidate the 5.4L DOHC Navigator engine and even the 6.8L DOHC V10.

Quote:
DOHC seems to be something relativley rare in the states and thats were most of the V8's are. Even BMW uses the old scrap iron.

Maybe Chevy and Dodge have a hard-on for pushrods, but not Ford. Ford has DOHC engines (V8 and V10) available in its lines of trucks, SUV's, and cars.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:56 AM   #21
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

I think you've been drinkin too much of that Jose Cuervo...lol. A 5.4DOHC engine does fit but it's so damn tall you need a 10" cowl induction hood....and the 6.8L...lol...not unless you stretch the front frame rails a good 14" and reposition the k-member, rack/pinion, and you'd probably need to use a custom wire harness that doesn't even exist unless you make it yourself....stock mustang engine bay with no mods at all will not accomodate a 6.8L.

Who says pushrod motors can't rev???

cast iron block/head-LSC 5.0L....6250rpm

Last edited by Sick88Tbird : 05-24-2004 at 04:00 AM.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:07 AM   #22
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
I think you've been drinkin too much of that Jose Cuervo...lol. A 5.4DOHC engine does fit but it's so damn tall you need a 10" cowl induction hood
The 5.4 is very tall, and you have to fabricate an intake for it, but it will fit. (Albeit under a cowl induction hood.)

Quote:
....and the 6.8L...lol...not unless you stretch the front frame rails a good 14" and reposition the k-member, rack/pinion, and you'd probably need to use a custom wire harness that doesn't even exist unless you make it yourself....stock mustang engine bay with no mods at all will not accomodate a 6.8L.

I never said that it was easy...

http://www.bv10motors.com/

That's acutally a 6.9 Liter.

Quote:

I agree
Old 05-24-2004, 08:24 AM   #23
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
I think you've been drinkin too much of that Jose Cuervo...lol. A 5.4DOHC engine does fit but it's so damn tall you need a 10" cowl induction hood....and the 6.8L...lol...not unless you stretch the front frame rails a good 14" and reposition the k-member, rack/pinion, and you'd probably need to use a custom wire harness that doesn't even exist unless you make it yourself....stock mustang engine bay with no mods at all will not accomodate a 6.8L.

show me a push rod engine that doesnt run out of breath and ill show u twin plug multi spark, 40valve, VVT, DOHC what doesnt run out of breath till 18000 rpm 455 bhp out of 3 litre V8, they cant rev i say so. Weighs 80kg.

The point is we have all seen a pushrod after its been over reved and its not a pretty sight. you also have the probelms of themal expantion and mechanical shock to worry about. You get pinking, preignition and the timing goes all cock eyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k
The 99 and 01 Mustang Cobra's had aluminum alloy blocks. While the 4.6 is a relatively small engine, it has a fairly long stroke. The engine produces its max horsepower at 6,000 RPM thanks to 32 valve cylinder heads and dual overhead cams. For the 2003 Cobra Ford switched to a cast iron block because they wanted something that could take the extra cylinder pressures of a supercharged engine, but it still loves to rev.

To extract power out short stroke, over square engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
true, but then we wont be cournering like a hover craft either

You do realize that, everything else being equal, on pavement a rear wheel drive car handles better than a front wheel drive car right?

Good job i have been to the states, pavement being tarmac i asume or you will be mowing down grannies. Our pavement is your sidewalk. True RWD does
handle better than FWD i think you will find that this acutaly refers to AWD which i was talking about ealier. It is also better to have engine in the middle, but people wanting places to put lugage and kids kinda stop this most of the time.

Quote:
yeah yeah, spool your turbos up all you want, but you won't be pulling wheel stands in a fwd or awd 4-cyl turbo
Old 05-27-2004, 04:14 AM   #24
Wally
I Know More Than You

My daily drives have generally been V8s (that's bent 8 if you want to bignote), but I have had a nissan turbo engined six. I liked all of them, but I have to say the LS1 in my current car has been very good.

Currently I am building a little 1 litre engine with an RHF5 hanging off it and fuel injection conversion and hoping for a reliable 80kW, which I would not get without a charger.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 06:21 AM   #25
archangle
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Good grief...will these childish "this vs. this...which is better" game ever end?
NOPE
Old 05-29-2004, 07:16 AM   #26
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangle
NOPE
And there was me thinking you'd got past the 'one word post' stage

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:43 AM   #27
Arthur
On Probation

that little comment about RWD handling better than FWD automaticly is BULLSHIT, the car has to be setup to handle good, To handle good. Put an 80's FWD saab 900 turbo up against a 80's foxbody mustang, and i bet you that the saab will outhandle it. Under pristine conditions with cars Designed to do so, Yes RWD is best. But the streets of new york city or eugene oregon arent paved with pristine track.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:18 PM   #28
enron fever
CF Addict

i would take muscle with a supercharger
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:54 PM   #29
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Show me an 18k rpm DOHC V8 and I will point out how expensive it is, how unstreetable it is, and how totally unuseable it is in anything other than a formula car.

Oh, and have you ever seen one of those blow up? Ain't pretty, either.

As for STREET engines that mnake useable STREET horsepower and torque, 9k rpm seems to be the limit for modern DOHC engines, as is seen in the S2000.

My RX7's rotary twisted to 7500, and the ported 12A in my RX3 went to 9250. My 5.0 pushrod Ford that replaced the 13B in the RX7 also went to 7500, due to being detuned from drag race use (it HAD been a 9k rpm engine).. But I have built streetable, daily driver, Chevy pushrod engines that turned to 9k rpm regularly. It's pretty easy and cheap to do (the factory had been getting them to 8k rpm in stock form back in the late '60s...). Don't seee too many modern DOHC factory engines that match that achievement... (at least not in engines that have any sort of power for automotive use...motorcycle engines do, but they don't have to move 3000 lbs worth of vehicle).

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:50 PM   #30
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

RIGHT IM BACK !

i don't understand these people who start the muscle vs. turbo or in american ways domestic vs. imports...that right? any way its stupid comparing two different sorts of cars....it'l be more fun if you could start some thing like i started a while ago....the Evo 8 vs Impreza STi vs R32

car forums still rocks even after that long break...keep them coming people
WeaponR is offline   Reply With Quote