Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2004, 09:01 PM   #31
Widowmaker2k
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
that little comment about RWD handling better than FWD automaticly is BULLSHIT, the car has to be setup to handle good, To handle good. Put an 80's FWD saab 900 turbo up against a 80's foxbody mustang, and i bet you that the saab will outhandle it. Under pristine conditions with cars Designed to do so, Yes RWD is best. But the streets of new york city or eugene oregon arent paved with pristine track.

I don't do my racing on the street...do you? For TRACK applications, and everything else being equal, a RWD car will out-handle a FWD car...(Especially at higher power levels.) Let's compare a Porsche 959 to your Saab and see who wins...oh wait, you can't do that, it's NOT A FAIR COMPARISON. I get sick of people who say "Car X can do this better than Car Y, so therefore all cars like Car X are automatically better than all cars like Car Y."
Old 06-01-2004, 09:55 PM   #32
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k
I don't do my racing on the street...do you? For TRACK applications, and everything else being equal, a RWD car will out-handle a FWD car...(Especially at higher power levels.) Let's compare a Porsche 959 to your Saab and see who wins...oh wait, you can't do that, it's NOT A FAIR COMPARISON. I get sick of people who say "Car X can do this better than Car Y, so therefore all cars like Car X are automatically better than all cars like Car Y."
Dont worry about Arthur...he's always spewing the crap....Arthur mate, this one's for you....RWD=Oversteer (in most cases)...FWD=Understeer (In most cases)...Oversteer is better than understeer.....Is that clear to you, Arthur?

btw, why compare everything to a Saab 900T?...they are far too heavy to compete with the big boys!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #33
cinqyg
CF Freak

There is no limit on RPM, all depnds on the power/torqueband and gearing ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Show me an 18k rpm DOHC V8 and I will point out how expensive it is, how unstreetable it is, and how totally unuseable it is in anything other than a formula car.

Oh, and have you ever seen one of those blow up? Ain't pretty, either.

As for STREET engines that mnake useable STREET horsepower and torque, 9k rpm seems to be the limit for modern DOHC engines, as is seen in the S2000.

My RX7's rotary twisted to 7500, and the ported 12A in my RX3 went to 9250. My 5.0 pushrod Ford that replaced the 13B in the RX7 also went to 7500, due to being detuned from drag race use (it HAD been a 9k rpm engine).. But I have built streetable, daily driver, Chevy pushrod engines that turned to 9k rpm regularly. It's pretty easy and cheap to do (the factory had been getting them to 8k rpm in stock form back in the late '60s...). Don't seee too many modern DOHC factory engines that match that achievement... (at least not in engines that have any sort of power for automotive use...motorcycle engines do, but they don't have to move 3000 lbs worth of vehicle).
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:03 PM   #34
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Dont worry about Arthur...he's always spewing the crap....Arthur mate, this one's for you....RWD=Oversteer (in most cases)...FWD=Understeer (In most cases)...Oversteer is better than understeer.....Is that clear to you, Arthur?

btw, why compare everything to a Saab 900T?...they are far too heavy to compete with the big boys!

Most musclecars understeered as a basic state, due to being nose heavy with smallish tires. the average softly sprung RWD luxury car understeers, too.

To make a FWD car oversteer all you ahve to do is add a larger rear swaybar.

I've had FWD cars that oversteered as their basic state...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:26 PM   #35
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy

Yeah, Arthur is like a sore thumb.. Neway, Cliffy, don;t you mean the "little" boys..?!? !

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote