Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #16
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus57
Wow, that does suck.

Is there any place that you can get a quote when you're under 18? I live in Illinois BTW.
You can probably get a quote anywhere, it might not be a particularly low one though, having said that, you live in the US (I think lol) so insurance isn't as big an issue over there!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #17
musclecarneon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus57
I just have two last questions:

1. I told my father about the 240sx and how you guys said they would still run after 150,000+ miles, but he still didn't believe me saying that over time, I would have to replace everything in the car. What would be some major things I would need to replace if I got a 240sx with, lets say, 200,000 miles on it? And what oil/gas would I use to keep it running the best?

2. How much would insurance cost if I (a 16-year-old, straight-A student) bought the 240sx (which is a sports car) under my parents (who have AllState and pay about $1000 a year for two cars)? My father keeps telling me that the insurance rates are going to be very high (he claims $500/year for me) and almost double if I get into a car accident, even if it wasn't my fault (according to the police report). Is that true? And would it cost the same if my father bought the car and put me as the secondary driver?

Thanks for the help, BTW.

About insurance: It is FREAKING EXPENSIVE especially for a 16-year-old, grades don't matter. It was like $800 dollars extra for me on the insurance when i got my license.
As far as cars go, Subaru, Toyota, or Honda. Subaru and Honda are incredibly reliable, expect either one to make it to 200,000 without any huge problems. Toyotas are unbelievably well built. I know a mechanic who has a Tercel with 405,000 miles on it. I swear it's the absolute truth, I have seen the odomoter. The car has some rust, but it still runs good as far as i know. I don't know what year it is, so i can't tell you exactly what to get, but i imagine all years are really good. the downside to Toyotas is they are usually not very powerful and they are very difficult to mod or work on, of course it being a Toyota if you change fluids regularly and everything chances are it'll never break down.
musclecarneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:24 PM   #18
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarneon
About insurance: It is FREAKING EXPENSIVE especially for a 16-year-old, grades don't matter. It was like $800 dollars extra for me on the insurance when i got my license.
As far as cars go, Subaru, Toyota, or Honda. Subaru and Honda are incredibly reliable, expect either one to make it to 200,000 without any huge problems. Toyotas are unbelievably well built. I know a mechanic who has a Tercel with 405,000 miles on it. I swear it's the absolute truth, I have seen the odomoter. The car has some rust, but it still runs good as far as i know. I don't know what year it is, so i can't tell you exactly what to get, but i imagine all years are really good. the downside to Toyotas is they are usually not very powerful and they are very difficult to mod or work on, of course it being a Toyota if you change fluids regularly and everything chances are it'll never break down.

i dont like you
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote