Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
55ford
CF Newbie

Need Help fixing 55 Ford

I have a 1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan with a 272 engine. The car runs fine until the engine warms up to operating temprature and then just quits. I have replaced fuel pump, points and plugs, and rebuilt the carburator. Could it be the coil? or condenser? It's getting plenty of gas. Any suggestions?
55ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55ford
I have a 1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan with a 272 engine. The car runs fine until the engine warms up to operating temprature and then just quits. I have replaced fuel pump, points and plugs, and rebuilt the carburator. Could it be the coil? or condenser? It's getting plenty of gas. Any suggestions?
Making your Y-block run is not rocket science. Like any other internal combustion engine it needs three things in the right amount at the correct time... Oxygen, fuel and ignition.

Because it runs fine until warm you know the engine and ancillary parts are functioning more or less correctly, at least at that time. Mindlessly replacing parts until you accidently fix the problem is neither time or cost effective. Instead of shotgunning parts you need to take a step by step approach to determining what is missing or possibly what is in excess causing it to stop running.

You've replaced an ass load of parts, but do you have good ignition when it dies? You said it's getting plenty of gas, but could it be getting too much? It must be getting air to run when cold, but is it possible that there's and intake leak that opens up when it's warm... Or maybe just a vacuum leak that's masked by the choke being on?

Give us some answers to these questions and you just might find your own answer along the way.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You

Does it quit as you try to move or quit at idle?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
corbett_auto
CF Addict

One of my favorite troubleshooting questions is always...what happened between the time it was running good and now? Can you remember a time when it ran well? As mentioned before, this should be a fairly easy problem to solve.