Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

What will happen to a car if you use an octane too low?

Hey I'm just posting for a "Friend" here. He has been filling his car with 89 octane since August... he jsut recently found out the gas mileage problems were caused because his car requires 92 octane. He is wondering what damage could have been done filling up the car with the lower octane since August. Thanks

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Hey I'm just posting for a "Friend" here. He has been filling his car with 89 octane since August... he jsut recently found out the gas mileage problems were caused because his car requires 92 octane. He is wondering what damage could have been done filling up the car with the lower octane since August. Thanks
If the octane of your fuel is lower than required based on the engine's compression ratio, you'll get knocking (or combustion of the fuel before the spark). As for what damage this does to the engine (apart from inefficiencies).... you'd have to talk to the mechanics here.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Apparently the DOHC neon takes at least 92 and I didnt know that because everyone convincedme it was a POS so I thought it took the 89 octane gas. The car wasnt running very smoothly, nor was it performing well. A few days ago I put premium in and what a difference it made. The engine is smoother, feels more powerful, and its quieter. Does anyone know EXACTLY whre I can find this information about what gas my car needs. I dont have an Owners manual.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Apparently the DOHC neon takes at least 92 and I didnt know that because everyone convincedme it was a POS so I thought it took the 89 octane gas. The car wasnt running very smoothly, nor was it performing well. A few days ago I put premium in and what a difference it made. The engine is smoother, feels more powerful, and its quieter. Does anyone know EXACTLY whre I can find this information about what gas my car needs. I dont have an Owners manual.

Some cars theres a sticker behind the gas door.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Some cars theres a sticker behind the gas door.
Yea I checked but it just says "Unleaded Fuel Only"
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
ride3k
CF Addict

that means you only rele need 89 or 90, cuz 91+ is called premium. not saying you cant put it in, but it is more expensive and it can increase performance

edit: check your owners manual to, it will say the actuall octane and cetane rating you nedd there

later ill get my manual if no1 gets it and show you what i mean

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote