Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
Rockstead
CF Newbie

1997 Saturn SL questions

Hi guys,

I Just got myself a 1997 Saturn SL (70k Km) and had a few questions.

1. Does it need to be rust proofed, I've heared mixed answers, some people say that it doesnt because of the material that this car uses, but then I hear that it can rust on the inside of the door and underneath, is this true? what should I be doing? and if I should be rust proofing then what is the best type of treatment to use?

2. It doesn't have A/C, the Saturn dealer told me it would be in the thousands to add it, but I've heard that it would be possible to add an aftermarket A/C unit at a much cheaper price, anyone have any idea if this is possible, and if so at a resonable price? I know many people will say don't bother, but I got such a good deal on the car that I could justify a resonable investment in order to be comfortable in the summer for the years to come.

3. The car has no pickup, If I press too hard on the gas pedal it just goes to the floor and the car hardly accelerates and the rpms just go way up until it finally catches up, is there anything I can do (some cheap mod) that would solve this or atleast improve it without hurting the car?

4. I'm also looking for a Canadian or American site with the best prices on aftermarket parts, I would love to add on a standard Saturn spoiler, or anything else..give me some ideas!

Rockstead,
Montreal
Rockstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
1. Does it need to be rust proofed, I've heared mixed answers, some people say that it doesnt because of the material that this car uses, but then I hear that it can rust on the inside of the door and underneath, is this true? what should I be doing? and if I should be rust proofing then what is the best type of treatment to use?

Where the hell do you live?

Quote:
2. It doesn't have A/C, the Saturn dealer told me it would be in the thousands to add it, but I've heard that it would be possible to add an aftermarket A/C unit at a much cheaper price, anyone have any idea if this is possible, and if so at a resonable price? I know many people will say don't bother, but I got such a good deal on the car that I could justify a resonable investment in order to be comfortable in the summer for the years to come.
That would costs craploads like the guy said.

Quote:
3. The car has no pickup, If I press too hard on the gas pedal it just goes to the floor and the car hardly accelerates and the rpms just go way up until it finally catches up, is there anything I can do (some cheap mod) that would solve this or atleast improve it without hurting the car?
What engine does it have in it?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
Rockstead
CF Newbie

Quote:
Where the hell do you live?

I live in Montreal, Canada. Lots of snow in the winter, and they put a lot of slt on the roads.

Quote:
That would costs craploads like the guy said.

So there is no cheap aftermarket solution.

Quote:
What engine does it have in it?

I have no idea, all I can tell you right now is that it is a 1997 SL Automatic. I'll check the manual when I get home and I'll report back.

Thanks
Rockstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
I live in Montreal, Canada. Lots of snow in the winter, and they put a lot of slt on the roads.

Then yes, it needs rust proofing.

Quote:
So there is no cheap aftermarket solution.

When dealing with A/C, there is never a cheap solution.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote