Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2007, 03:18 AM   #1
warning
CF Newbie

Starting out, would like some advice

So, I'm thinking about getting either a chevelle from 69-71 or a nova II and I know a little bit about cars, and I've always wanted to learn more. I also am looking for it to be able to run. I'm just curious about how much I should pay for one that runs, but still needs some work, as well any other advice would be great. Thanks.
warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
SPRS4
CF Newbie

Classic cars are so difficult to estimate their value. Alot of it depends on not just if it runs, but how many miles it has, what condition the body is in , condition of the interior, brake system, steering system, suspension, headliner and one of the most important things, how good are the floor boards, not to mention, do the numbers match and do you care if they do.

One other VERY important thing with classic cars/collectibles, is that the worth of an item i dependant on what you are willing to pay.

Do you know of anyone that knows cars well that can help you?
SPRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
warning
CF Newbie

yea, most of my friends know how to work on cars, and I figured it was about time to follow suit, as well the chevelle and nova 2 seemed like good choices, because there American made, and I would be glad to drive either for years to come. As well I will have access to a garage. Ideally i guess I am looking for something that runs, but that still needs a lot of work. And that the exterior is not all messed up, aside from paint I can deal with though. As well I have a pretty decent budget depending on what I pay for the car up front.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
scrapper
CF Newbie

car

if your getting a nova have someone follow you to make sure it's going down the road strait and make
sure you cant see front wheels and back wheels at the same time..there known for this..
good luck.....

scrapper
scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
warning
CF Newbie

thanks for the advice, i will definitely make sure to do that.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Montage
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper
if your getting a nova have someone follow you to make sure it's going down the road strait and make
sure you cant see front wheels and back wheels at the same time..there known for this..
good luck.....

scrapper

very true.. my bros does that.. he got new rims and tires the right rear hit the wheel well and the left has room..

but my dad got a 70 chevelle malibu running great but it had rust and still needed the interior redone.. it has its problems but he got it for 6500.

just look for a while before you jump at anything.. youll find somethin
Montage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:50 AM   #7
corbett_auto
CF Addict

The most important thing to look for is a complete car that is not half disassembled and in the trunk.....You will never know if you are getting all the pieces. It is much easier to walk around a car that is all together and say

"hey..there is a missing door handle"

Than to dig through a box to see what is and isn't there. Trust me...you will always be missing the part that is no longer available.

Also, keep in mind the repairs you are capable of doing. Quality work is very expensive, so if there is alot of rust damage and you can not weld...you will be better off paying more for a less rusty car.

Good luck, and most importantly ask lots of questions...