Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2004, 12:05 AM   #16
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
You obvously need to study chemistry. Hg is the periodic symbol for mercury.

As a lover of such car then i am sure you have noticed the large quanitity of grey leather effect plastic that lingers in them. IE fake elephant (word which no longer allowed since the KGB comander otherwise known as bav has taken control of free speach)

well as we know in different envirmoents manufacutres badge and brand them selves diffrently. Mercs are let me see how to put this, they dont offer very good value for money in terms of pure driving experiance.

Hmm the HG thingy does'nt really matter to me.. Mercury is the name in America and its an American made car. And I'm sure all the cars in UK say Mercury on them to(if you even care to drive them). I have no idea why would would even try to shorten MercedesBenz when all you have to say is Benz..same 4 letters as "merc" Anywhos..

The "elephant" you probably refer to is Mercedes infamous silver color. I won't even bug to comment on this one for anyone who calls the leather of an interior or a Benz elephant(regaurdless or what color) shall be slapped and set back to Vinyl.. Also it comes in other colors

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:37 AM   #17
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Hmm the HG thingy does'nt really matter to me.. Mercury is the name in America and its an American made car. And I'm sure all the cars in UK say Mercury on them to(if you even care to drive them). I have no idea why would would even try to shorten MercedesBenz when all you have to say is Benz..same 4 letters as "merc" Anywhos..

The "elephant" you probably refer to is Mercedes infamous silver color. I won't even bug to comment on this one for anyone who calls the leather of an interior or a Benz elephant(regaurdless or what color) shall be slapped and set back to Vinyl.. Also it comes in other colors

no we dont have mercury! this is my point the only mercury we have is the HG kind , the metal!

No the elephant refers to the interiors of asian cars, go sit on a japanese car tomorow and look how much nasty grey plastic there is in it.

you americans some times, may be you should get out more, get an education or something. learn the periodic table.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:37 AM   #18
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
no we dont have mercury! this is my point the only mercury we have is the HG kind , the metal!

No the elephant refers to the interiors of asian cars, go sit on a japanese car tomorow and look how much nasty grey plastic there is in it.

you americans some times, may be you should get out more, get an education or something. learn the periodic table.

Well if you don't have Mercury... "Merc" still means Mercury(The Car) because Mercedes(Mer-say-dees) should'tn be called Merc(murk). It would'nt be right, but then again I could see how you funny talkers could make such a simple name when Mercedes allreay has Benz for short.. Thats why people refer to Mercedes as just Benz, because they know a car that sounds just like "merc" exists not to mention Mercedes for short is just Benz.. Just to stop confusion... Europeans tsk tsk... maybe you should stop thinking that everything that only exists in Europe is important for and that nothing else matters, because Merc"ury" is a car and so is Merc"edes". Although you're the first and only European I've ever heard say merc.

Anyways I was'nt talking about Japanese cars with leather or interior for that matter. I have no idea why you are even bringing up the fact that they have "elephant" leather. I was comparing the quality of a honda to a ford.. nothing to do with interiors. Anyways, this conversation is meaningless. Anyperson who would choose a Jaguar over a Mercedes needs serious help, and too bad if that includes you..

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:06 AM   #19
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

just some info......

Mercedes – a Spanish girls’ name meaning ‘grace’ – was the name of the daughter born in 1889 to the Austrian businessman, Emil Jellinek, who had homes in Baden near Vienna and Nice.

A progressive thinker with an interest in sport, Jellinek turned his enthusiasm to the dawning age of the automobile, an invention he knew would be of key importance for the future. As early as 1897, he made the journey to Cannstatt to visit the Daimler factory and ordered his first Daimler car - a 6 hp belt-driven vehicle with two-cylinder engine.

But the car, delivered in October 1897 and with a top speed of 24 km/h, was soon too slow for Jellinek. He demanded 40 km/h and ordered two more vehicles. Supplied in September 1898, the two Daimler “Phoenix” cars, with their front–mounted 8 hp engines, were the world’s first road vehicles with four-cylinder engines.

Emil Jellinek had good contacts with the worlds of international finance and the aristocracy and became increasingly active as a businessman. In 1898, he began to promote and sell Daimler automobiles - in particular, within the higher echelons of society. In 1899, DMG supplied Jellinek with 10 vehicles; in 1900, he received as many as 29.

Jellinek demanded ever faster and more powerful vehicles from DMG. From 1899, he also entered these in race meetings – first and foremost of which was the Nice week – where he would race under his pseudonym, ‘Mercédès’, the name of his daughter aged ten at the time. Initially, he used the name not as an automotive brand name but merely as a team and driver designation.

At the beginning of April 1900, Jellinek made an agreement with DMG concerning sales of Daimler cars and engines. The decision was taken to develop a new engine “bearing the name Daimler-Mercedes”, thereby introducing Jellinek's pseudonym as a product designation.

also Benz is the second part of the trade name so it's like callin' some one with their surname.

i don't know why us brits call it Merc it's either Mercedes or Benz!

im off to bed now, to damn tierd! Gudnite.
WeaponR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #20
Diewaldo
CF Newbie

Okay, there is something to say about these posts before.

First, the Mercedes E-Class is the fourth most buyed car in Germany, the C-Class is Number 8, A-Class is on 10 (No 1: VW Golf, No 2: 3er BMW, No 3: Audi A4, No 5: VW Touran, No 6: VW Passat, No 7: Opel Astra, No 9: VW Polo). So as you can see, the Mercedes is here not only a car for rich people, as well as isn't BMW. It's a matter of fact, that the Germans spend a lot of money on their cars.

Also as said, the newer Mercedes car are real good to shift - as they all now have 6-speed shifting. Also in some tests the mercedes cars were even better than the BMW when it comes to driving.

I believe that in Swabia the Mercedes is even the most buyed car (as a matter of fact it is built down there).

Greetings

Diewaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:29 AM   #21
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

what's up with those taillights??? they look like something you'd find on an Audi! Mercedes coulda been a little more creative than that in their styling!
moostang104314 is offline   Reply With Quote