Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which is the most tunable Japanese import?
Mazda RX7 3 10.71%
Mitsubishi 3000GT 0 0%
Mitsubishi Evo 8 2 7.14%
Nissan Skyline R32-R34 9 32.14%
Subaru Impreza WRX 1 3.57%
Toyota Supra twin turbo ('93-'00) 11 39.29%
Other, please specify in post 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 06:42 PM   #31
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
my opinion is the supra is by far the most tunable rice rocket in existance to this date. ok, so maybe one guy made a skyline that can kill 900hp supras, but how many Supras are out there that can kill such skylines? nowadays, its VERY common to see such power levels on the 2jz's, while in all other cars, its not even as close to common. lets not forget one other factoid, the 2JZ holds the record of the most HP with a bone stock bottom end, which was at around 900hp if im not mistaken (correct me if the numbers r wrong, but im sure it was around that or more). thing is, u have to take everything into consideration, bone stock engine performance and peak output, wat u can produce with strengthened internals, etc. plus, u have all been to the pro drag competitions right? with all the imports? just look at team streetglow and both of their solaras with 2jz's powering them, there is just no way to beat them. dont get me worng, i love the skyline, and the skyline is by far probably the most technological advanced rice rocket due to its ATTESA system and its ability to compete with the Supra like no other rice rocket. those 2 r the kings of their scene, but im sorry, the Supra has proven itself far more than the skyline up to this date. wat makes it better is how it can either be the skylines equal, or better without all the technological advances.

Regardless of how much tech is put into a car, the skyline is still capable of being tuned to levels as high as the supra. This still qualifies the skyline as a highly tunable car, maybe even more than the supra.
I would guess that the tuner bias to the supra will change as the skyline arrives in North America. We have many hungry tuners itching to get their hands on a Skyline here, so maybe that will even the odds.
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:50 PM   #32
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Regardless of how much tech is put into a car, the skyline is still capable of being tuned to levels as high as the supra. This still qualifies the skyline as a highly tunable car, maybe even more than the supra.
I would guess that the tuner bias to the supra will change as the skyline arrives in North America. We have many hungry tuners itching to get their hands on a Skyline here, so maybe that will even the odds.

Whomever picked the name Skyline...I hope is fired already!
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:55 PM   #33
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Whomever picked the name Skyline...I hope is fired already!
.
.

im sure that person has aged a lot and retired or is already dead!
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:22 PM   #34
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
im sure that person has aged a lot and retired or is already dead!

Oh...that's true...it's an old name.

My bad...name should be changed. It's like putting the Camry name on a "Supra" type car...I'm gathering from all the hoopla of this otherwise ugly car.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:58 PM   #35
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Oh...that's true...it's an old name.

My bad...name should be changed. It's like putting the Camry name on a "Supra" type car...I'm gathering from all the hoopla of this otherwise ugly car.
.
.

haha. i can just imagine how the rednecks say 'skyline' in my part of the country
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S

Last edited by importluva : 06-02-2004 at 08:18 PM.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:12 PM   #36
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
The Supra has the greatest potential for a standard production Japanese engine.. It can produce about 1500bhp before cooling becomes an issue.. The skyline come a close second with its RB26DETT engine that can handle about 1400bhp.. However replace this with the RB30DETT engine (see my name!!) and it will handle about 1600bhp without severe internal modifications..
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:21 PM   #37
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
The Supra has the greatest potential for a standard production Japanese engine.. It can produce about 1500bhp before cooling becomes an issue.. The skyline come a close second with its RB26DETT engine that can handle about 1400bhp.. However replace this with the RB30DETT engine (see my name!!) and it will handle about 1600bhp without severe internal modifications..

so the rb30 engine is not in any production vehilces?
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:46 AM   #38
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
so the rb30 engine is not in any production vehilces?
I think it's still in production vehicles, it's just (VERY) detuned lol...I might be wrong on that one though, as my knowledge of engine codes aint all that great
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #39
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt
 
Lukaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: England , UK
Posts: 300
I would have to say Supra Twin turbo.

The RB26DETT comes a close second.

the thing is some people think its cheap to mod a skyline from a 280 BHP car into a 1000+BHP monster. its fairly easy to get 500BHP but somthing completely unrealistically expensive and undrivable on road will get you 1000BHP at the FLYWHEEL.

For thoose who ever think about getting +1000BHP for your skyline. first think about this

Think about methonal for now on. petrol anit gonna get you anywhere else

Think about the inefficient TT system with power outputs like that

think about the hundreds of drivetrains you chew out

Think about buying new engines because you keep launching the #2 piston through the side of the engine block and into orbit.
__________________

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:53 AM   #40
87TurboII
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 51
In my oppinion the Honda civic is the most Non-Tuneable rice rocket in the world every where i go i see some riced out totally slow ass Civic with a big fart can and lots of stickers! So that would be my desicion BUt i have heard the Skyline can get a max HP of 1500AWHP
__________________
Hi. My name is Devin, and I am 12 years old. I really don't own a car, as the car I have shown you in my previous posts belongs to my brother. Please disregard any information I post beyond this point.

OWNED BY RYAN!
87TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:15 AM   #41
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 132
point of fact for ya. rb30dett engine only exists in modified form.
rb30 was the engine from the OLD skyline taxis, you might know it as the r31 skyline.
the only performance version that comes to mind for me is here in nz where they took the rb30 block and dropped on the rb26 head and barrel. stuck that to the r33 gts25t manual gearbox
throw that into an old gts4, then sent it up the track in 10sec ish. they spent very little doing that and retained most of the internals from the rb30 and rb26. very few aftermarket parts. that pushes out around 800hp@tw. I think??

so the skyline is my pick next to the older evo's.

same with the mitsy as the nissan, both have a cast iron block. (or rather "had").

Just bolt on more boost,
3.5" pipe straight through,
external waste gate,
bigger injectors,
heavyduty clutch and pressure plate,
bov,
pod filter (maybe give it a cold box too),
then there you go!!!!! 11sec 1/4 from an old evo2 no worries. before any weight loss or tuning.

Internals rated to 450hp as standard.
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:38 AM   #42
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt
 
Lukaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: England , UK
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed
point of fact for ya. rb30dett engine only exists in modified form.
rb30 was the engine from the OLD skyline taxis, you might know it as the r31 skyline.
the only performance version that comes to mind for me is here in nz where they took the rb30 block and dropped on the rb26 head and barrel. stuck that to the r33 gts25t manual gearbox
throw that into an old gts4, then sent it up the track in 10sec ish. they spent very little doing that and retained most of the internals from the rb30 and rb26. very few aftermarket parts. that pushes out around 800hp@tw. I think??

so the skyline is my pick next to the older evo's.

same with the mitsy as the nissan, both have a cast iron block. (or rather "had").

Just bolt on more boost,
3.5" pipe straight through,
external waste gate,
bigger injectors,
heavyduty clutch and pressure plate,
bov,
pod filter (maybe give it a cold box too),
then there you go!!!!! 11sec 1/4 from an old evo2 no worries. before any weight loss or tuning.

Internals rated to 450hp as standard.


Very smart Guy we have here! well done matey im impressed. Ive seen a few R31's. how many skyline Release's are there isnt there about 10 since 1957 - present.
__________________

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year

Last edited by Lukaz : 07-01-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:28 PM   #43
allroundcarguy2
Banned
 
allroundcarguy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 43
Lightbulb

i agree with a lot of people on that the skyline is one of the most tunable rice rockets, but i think the honda civic started it all ever since that 1 kid (or something im not sure how the story goes) cut the coils off his civic, and bolted on a "fart can" muffler, it's turned into an industry, body kits, race springs, coilovers, turbos and nitrous. Not to mention engine swaps. And in the NHRA, where ppl thought only detriot "muscle" could race the strips, the NHRA developed a sport compact racing series, for both run what u brung, and pro rice rocket racing.
allroundcarguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:19 PM   #44
87TurboII
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by allroundcarguy2
i agree with a lot of people on that the skyline is one of the most tunable rice rockets, but i think the honda civic started it all ever since that 1 kid (or something im not sure how the story goes) cut the coils off his civic, and bolted on a "fart can" muffler, it's turned into an industry, body kits, race springs, coilovers, turbos and nitrous. Not to mention engine swaps. And in the NHRA, where ppl thought only detriot "muscle" could race the strips, the NHRA developed a sport compact racing series, for both run what u brung, and pro rice rocket racing.

Very True some kid probably put some big ass fart can and lots of stickers and painted his hood balck and started the whole revolution but the Skyline GTR Spec V has been known for the most horsepower in a japanese car along with the Supra TT's also have been know for horsepower i would like to see a drag race between them both pushing out about a 1000hp. It would all depend on the dirver. Another great tool in the skyline is the button that turns off the awd so that you can have some fun in it so i would like to see a 1000hp supraTT and a 1000hp Skyline GTR Spec V. That would be a good race.
__________________
Hi. My name is Devin, and I am 12 years old. I really don't own a car, as the car I have shown you in my previous posts belongs to my brother. Please disregard any information I post beyond this point.

OWNED BY RYAN!

Last edited by 87TurboII : 07-01-2004 at 05:23 PM.
87TurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:28 AM   #45
Inygknok
El del Supra
 
Inygknok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,863
if only those 2 could handle just as daaaaaaamn good as an RX-7 with just RWD..... now those would be examples of the perfect cars
__________________


Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.