Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Tbill
CF Newbie

Rear door lock 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan

The lock on the rear door hatch is stuck in the locked position after opening the door. We've recently had it to the dealer after fixing the driverside door sensor (dome lights, chimes and door locks would go off and on - they tracked it down to the driver sensor). Could this have anything to do with that? Does anyone have suggestions? Can we fix this ourselves? Thanks.
Tbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbill
The lock on the rear door hatch is stuck in the locked position after opening the door. We've recently had it to the dealer after fixing the driverside door sensor (dome lights, chimes and door locks would go off and on - they tracked it down to the driver sensor). Could this have anything to do with that? Does anyone have suggestions? Can we fix this ourselves? Thanks.
unlikely to be that .... can you close the door? .... if you can, but haven't, don't do it before taking the interior panel off.

I assume it has central locking?
if so, and you can get the interior panel off, find the actuator. see if it looks like it would move (ie. does it feel like the actuator is the obstruction, or elsewhere in the locking mechanism?)

My guess would be that some mechanical part has siezed up in there. ... have a play around.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbill

when you use the power lock the hatch makes noise but does not unlock/unlock??
if so then the plastic gear in the lock mechanisim(motor) is broken/striped. the part cost me 80 buck for my 99 caravan and was fairly simple to replace couple of screws holding back panel and 2- 10mm bolts for the motor

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote