Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 AM   #16
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Really? Is that how it works? Remember the Trans-Am SD-455 with 290 to 400 horsepower (depending on if you believe official deflated factory numbers or real world numbers) and a real 4-speed transmission? GM replaced that a few years later with a Trans-Am that had a Crossfire Injected 305 with 145 hp and an automatic trans. So since it was the replacement (or certainly newer model) the newer car must also be "better". Right? That's how it works out using your logic.

Or could your pretzel logic be confused?

Their are exceptions to every rule. But those Trans Ams were better for the time they came out, when the oil shortage was going on and stricter environmental protection restrictions were put into place.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Their are exceptions to every rule. But those Trans Ams were better for the time they came out, when the oil shortage was going on and stricter environmental protection restrictions were put into place.
Parroting someone elses uninformed response only makes you look ignorant... And unable to think for yourself. Shocking. The '82 T/A performed worse than the '74, met the same emissions standards and saw decreased fuel economy even with a smaller engine. So tell me, how does that make them better? A short list will be fine.


P.S. Better check your history books. Yes, I know some of the words will be too big for you to read. The "oil shortage" in the US took place in conjunction with the oil embargo of 1973, the first year of the SD-455 and also the national 55 mph speed limit "when the oil shortage was going on and stricter environmental protection restrictions were put into place". By 1982 the US was swimming in cheap crude oil and I was paying 89.9 cents a gallon in Southern California for leaded premium (for my '76 T/A). So once again your only valid point is on the top of your head.

You have the option of shutting up at any time.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:30 AM   #18
Voda48
CF Lance Fan
 
Voda48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,278
Got back from work and wanted to look into this:

So if we are using the 1982 as a reference point for the release of the 305 4 barrel, 305 Cross-Fire, than I have a few question I was hoping someone could clarify for me (as I was just born in ‘82). Yes the oil embargo was simmering down, or so I hear, however the effects of something to that scale do not fade so fast. It could be assumed that a car released in 1982 would have entered into concept, say one year earlier for arguments sake. So, let’s say in 1981 we are planning a new car, what is life like?
1. The Iran-Iraq War officially began on Sept. 22, 1980 (would continue till 1988)
2. Gasoline prices (real and nominal) reached a peak in 1981 (http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/25opec/sld004.htm)
3. Average US Household income: $19,074 (median) Equal to ~$39,125 in 2005 (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/histinc/h05.html)
4. Cost of Gas in 1981-1982 (via the http://www.bls.gov/data/sa.htm)
US Ave. Leaded Premium:


Western US Ave Leaded Premium:


US Ave Unleaded Premium:


Western US Ave. Unleaded Premium:




$0.899? in SoCal

Let’s call the ave. for gas $1.45. If we tried to apply an inflation rate to this price to get a value for today’s lifestyle… (~132%)
(http://inflationdata.com/inflation/I...or.asp#results) best resource I could find short notice

$1.45+($1.45x1.32) = $3.36/ gallon via a 01 Jan07 inflation rate adjustment.

To me, it sounds like we weren’t swimming in gas, crude oil maybe, but we need to refine it. I think that the 4 barrel, 305 Cross-Fire with a 145 hp and an automatic trans was a “better” car in terms of planning ahead. Now I don’t know what the MPG difference between the 145hp auto vs. the Trans-Am SD-455 with 290 to 400 horsepower, but with the future not so certain, I do think it was an attempt at designing a better car.
__________________
Here's my Website: Voda's Webpage It is in dire need of updating.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #19
master.mw@gmail
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
Back to the question, both are good first cars, reasonably priced, relatively safe (unless you play chicken with a Dodge Ram) and run well. I would say go for the cheaper to begin and the money saved between the two apply towards college

thanks, I'll go with your seggestion.
master.mw@gmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #20
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum
 
Ki2AY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Francisco CA.
Posts: 708
cobalt!!!
__________________
Ki2AY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #21
master.mw@gmail
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki2AY
cobalt!!!

why the cobalt? because its a newer release?
master.mw@gmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 AM   #22
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
I think that the 4 barrel, 305 Cross-Fire with a 145 hp and an automatic trans was a “better” car in terms of planning ahead. Now I don’t know what the MPG difference between the 145hp auto vs. the Trans-Am SD-455 with 290 to 400 horsepower, but with the future not so certain, I do think it was an attempt at designing a better car.

tell me more about this 4 barrel cross fire...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 AM   #23
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
Haha nice. Carb'd and crossfire injected, sweet.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #24
eaglehead18
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8
They Are The Same Car - They Are Both Considered A General Motors J-body. Chassis And Engine Are Identical.
__________________
Signature removed. Please read the rules on advertising!
eaglehead18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #25
Voda48
CF Lance Fan
 
Voda48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
tell me more about this 4 barrel cross fire...
here is where I C&P the info from, talk to them:
http://en.allexperts.com/e/p/po/pontiac_trans_am.htm
__________________
Here's my Website: Voda's Webpage It is in dire need of updating.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #26
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
here is where I C&P the info from, talk to them:
http://en.allexperts.com/e/p/po/pontiac_trans_am.htm

Quote:
From 1982 on all engines are Chevrolets unless stated otherwise.
* 1982: 305 4 barrel, 305 Cross-Fire Injection (First year for fuel injection in Trans Am)

yeah, even they say that they're 2 different engines...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #27
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
tell me more about this 4 barrel cross fire...
Do you remember the word I used earlier... Uninformed? There ya have it.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #28
Voda48
CF Lance Fan
 
Voda48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Do you remember the word I used earlier... Uninformed? There ya have it.
Well an unfortunate copying error happens, nobody is perfect. Fabricating facts on prices per one's recollection seems like a much "better" way to support your argument
__________________
Here's my Website: Voda's Webpage It is in dire need of updating.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:21 AM   #29
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
both are IMO girly cars. Unless its the SS SC..thats a machine
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #30
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
Not you again...
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.