Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2004, 07:17 PM   #16
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Call Advance back and tell them you're looking for a Niehoff CS2501. Usually when one of those dummies says dealer only they mean it's too hard to do their job.

I hate Autozone...the guy in my local shop is a fat lazy bastard!!! He's always chatting...and eating. He takes his sweet time to come to the front register. He looks over...smiles and waves..."I'll be right with you" and all the while spewing out garbage to simple questions. I avoid my local Autozone!!!

(venting...)

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #17
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
THANKS! I just called them before I read this and they still dont have it. I called autozone and they now DO have it for 59.99. What a ****in joke. I am calling advance back now. DUMBASSES....Thanks for all your help, that is the part. SAME PICTURE! :-) THANKS!

I just called advance back....this guys says he's been there 9 years and they have never carried the Niehoff brand, that is may be something from when they bought out Trak Auto, he states. He could not even cross ref. the part number. Says that it is not carried by any advance per his knowledge LOL. Looks like I will have to get it from autozone I guess, shoudl be the same. Pep Boys now states they can order it for 60.59 and three days. Part biz is such a bunch of shit.
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:32 AM   #18
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Well, I went and bought the autozone replacement multi-function switch and installed it, it is doing the same F'n thing. ???? I am not sure what is going on but it is not the switch. I returned it. The only other thing I can think of is the flasher....try that. I am not sure where else other than a short, this problem could be. Everything is working now as design except if you leave the left signal on for a long time, you lose the indicator on the dash. The hell with it, not worth my time to figure out. I thought it would be the switch
....Oh well!!!
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:28 AM   #19
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Well, I went and bought the autozone replacement multi-function switch and installed it, it is doing the same F'n thing. ???? I am not sure what is going on but it is not the switch. I returned it. The only other thing I can think of is the flasher....try that. I am not sure where else other than a short, this problem could be. Everything is working now as design except if you leave the left signal on for a long time, you lose the indicator on the dash. The hell with it, not worth my time to figure out. I thought it would be the switch
....Oh well!!!
Just went through and re-read the thread to see if I've missed anything, and I don't think I did. Without seeing the car and running wires I still have to think it's the multi-function switch, but I've been fooled before. The chances of it being the flasher from your description is almost nil. It has previously had the same symptoms on both sides so I have to think it's something common to both sides which leaves out the wiring to the lights.

Refresh my memory, do you have red or amber rear turn signals. If they're red the wiring also goes through the brake light switch so that may be a possibility. Or...

It's possible you got one of the Zone's crappy parts. Maybe do a quick swap with one from Pep Boy's just to see. I hate to parts swap but that's about all I can do from here.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:59 PM   #20
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Just went through and re-read the thread to see if I've missed anything, and I don't think I did. Without seeing the car and running wires I still have to think it's the multi-function switch, but I've been fooled before. The chances of it being the flasher from your description is almost nil. It has previously had the same symptoms on both sides so I have to think it's something common to both sides which leaves out the wiring to the lights.

Refresh my memory, do you have red or amber rear turn signals. If they're red the wiring also goes through the brake light switch so that may be a possibility. Or...

It's possible you got one of the Zone's crappy parts. Maybe do a quick swap with one from Pep Boy's just to see. I hate to parts swap but that's about all I can do from here.

The rear turn signals are amber, not red. I put the old switch back in yesterday evening and took the new one back for credit. It seems to be working fine right now unless I sit there with the left turn signal on for an extended time, say more than 2 minutes. Then the signals still work but I lose the green indicator on the dash until the signal is turned off for a minute or two. Then it comes back. The right signal will flash correctly for hours. It is very strange. It seems that something is heating up almost and shorting....because once it goes out on the dash, if you continue to let the signals flash, the indicator will return flashing in about 2-3 minutes. REALLY strange. I am going to see what it does, but for now it seems ok for most traffic situations and the signals DO flash so there is no "in/op" condition. I am no longer getting the signal flasher freeze like I was yesterday. WHO knows.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:08 AM   #21
shadetreemech
CF Newbie

1994 grand am se turn signals in-op

hi friends,
my son has a 1994 grand am se and the turn signals have gone out. the left one would flash a few times and peter out. now neither turn signals work at all.

i checked all the bulbs and and replaced 2 front marker bulbs and a right turn signal bulb. the turn signal bulb worked but one of the filaments was separated. all lights work. the left rear brake light would not come on if the left turn signal was clicked on. the emergency flasher worked fine all the time.

i replaced the flasher and the accessory fuse, that looks like a mini-flasher aluminum colored in the fuse box. i checked all the fuses. i replaced the multifunctional switch with one from a wrecked grand am and pulled it myself so i figured it was working when it was salvaged. no change, turn signals still dead, but lights and emergency flasher work.

i checked the battery with a multimeter and it read 12 volts, 15 volts when the alternator was charging. there was 12 volts coming into the wire going into the turn signal jack of the multifunction stalk.

the next thing i'll try to to see if i can pull and replace a square flasher-like thing that was next to the flasher. i'm guessing now. i heard of a turn signal relay on the internet, i'm not sure that was it. according to gm parts there is no such thing. the car does not have much corrosion so i don't know or think it's a faulty ground connection and don't know how to check for it. i will check the groundwire from the starter for clean and solid connection. well i'm learning about auto electrical systems. . .

any help would be appreciated.

dean
shadetreemech is offline   Reply With Quote