Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
kareed
CF Newbie

1995 Nissan Altima Stalling problem

Hi,
I have a 1995 altima and it has a frequent stalling problem in traffic. I have had it in to the mechanic and they can't find the problem. They replaced the entire distributor assembly and that took care of part of the problem but not the main problem. I drove it around today to try to analyse the problem and I discovered that if left in neutral for extended periods it doesn't stall, however if I step on the gas pedal quickly it dies. If I step on it slowly the engine accelerates fine. If I leave it in drive it will usually die after a little while, such as at a stop sign. Any suggestions would be very helpful
kareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareed
Hi,
I have a 1995 altima and it has a frequent stalling problem in traffic. I have had it in to the mechanic and they can't find the problem. They replaced the entire distributor assembly and that took care of part of the problem but not the main problem. I drove it around today to try to analyse the problem and I discovered that if left in neutral for extended periods it doesn't stall, however if I step on the gas pedal quickly it dies. If I step on it slowly the engine accelerates fine. If I leave it in drive it will usually die after a little while, such as at a stop sign. Any suggestions would be very helpful
We have a 94 BMW at my dealership that does the same thing. NO idea what it is but I am curious to know as well.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
DBain
CF Enthusiast

When at an idle, does it idle high normal or low? It seems to me if you replaced the electrical part and you know it's getting spark it may be a fuel issue. How long has it been since you replaced the fuel filter? Did you replace the ign module when you did the dist? I can't say this will help but from my experience you've got to try the simple stuff first.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
kareed
CF Newbie

I don't know any info on the fuel filter, but I can look into it. The mechanic tried using a new transistor module which I assume is the ign module. He also tried a new coil. None of these took care of the problem. The idle appears to work fine. On startup it stays at around 1200 rpm for a few seconds and then it drops to around 800-900 rpm
Thanks
kareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Strange. I guess to start you'd have to see if it was losing fuel spark or air. If you replaced the dist assembly, checked the plugs and wires you've probrably got spark. Air usually isn't the problem unless the comp limits it. On some, if not all cars, an O2 sensor affects the air/fuel mixture. However generally an O2 sensor will trigger a check engine light. Even if the cat is clogged the check engine light will go off. Thats a tough one brother, sorry I can't help but good luck.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman

On our car it feels like it misfires under load. Youll be driving along and it will just kinda sputter for a brief moment and then be back to normal
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote