Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2004, 06:09 AM   #1
zipper
CF Newbie

Ebay

How are your experiences of buying cars from ebay? I'm debating whether or not I should consider buying from ebay cause I won't be able to test drive and even see it in person until the purchase is made.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Yeah, personally I wouldn't do it unless it was a brand new car that I could test out at the dealer, and it wouldn't be any different. But say I'm looking at a '91 Volkswagen Jetta, theres no way of knowing what its going to be like before buying it.

Unless you bid on something in your area, then you can test drive it first. That would make perfect sense.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
heebee
CF Enthusiast

It very much depends on the car. If it's a modern, readily available car, I'd probably be cautious. However, it's a great place to find some rarer cars: cars that you'd normally have to travel to find, and cars where it doesn't make much sense to advertise locally (you need a wider audience than that!).

It also depends on the advert on ebay. If there is a long, detailed discription, listing good and bad points, and lots of photographs, then you should be OK. In the UK at least, if the vehicle doesn't match the description, then the seller has misrepresented it, and you don't have to buy it if you win the auction. However, if you do win, and the advert is accurate, you're legally obliged to complete the transaction.

Avoid short adverts with little description, or ads with small and fuzzy pictures. And always check out prices for similar vehicles, to make sure you're not paying too much. And never pay until you've seen the car!

I bought a car on ebay recently, and I'm very happy with it. I think I got it a little below its market value, and it's fairly rare, so I wouldn't have found one locally.

And check out their feedback! If they've sold a lot of cars in the past, walk away! They're more than likely a dealer, but without the legal comeback for warranties, etc!
heebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
BFD JR.
CF Newbie

E-Bay is a great place to do business!
Old 09-03-2004, 04:58 AM   #5
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

The last car I bought in the uk was from e-bay. But, I didn't bid on the car! I contacted the seller, trained it down to the area he was in, then cheacked it out and drove it home!

I doubt I'd ever bid on a car without seeing it first.
the seller might not know there's something wrong with the car that you'd pick up on. there's too many things that could go bad in a transaction like that for me.

at the same time though, I am now looking at an E34 M5 on ebay in the uk, to possibly ship over. I will however be going over to see it beforehand.
Personally I would treat e-bay like an auto trader. see whats around, call them and go from there!
Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote