Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
cinqyg
CF Freak

Alternative fuels

We have about 25 years of oil left and thats optermistic with the current chinese economic growth, so what do you think to alternative and more efficent cars?

Well the efficnet use of fossil fuels
Diesel
LPG/CNG for petrol

Then there are bio alternatives

Bio ethonol (industrial alcohol) for petrol
Bio diesel (crop oils) for Diesels

Then there are hybrids and fuel cell alternatives.

Would you use a bio alternaive?
Have you had your car converted to gas
Would you look into it?
What do you think of diesel?
Have you driven a comman rail high pressure injection diesel?
What did you think?

Do you care about the enviroment enough to change your habits?
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:56 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
Do you care about the enviroment enough to change your habits?

If I was an Atheist, yes.

But since I'm a Theist, I'd have to say it depends on the cost and ease of use...otherwise, no. The environment, while important, is just not at the top of my "I'm Concerned about..." list.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:08 AM   #3
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
If I was an Atheist, yes.

But since I'm a Theist, I'd have to say it depends on the cost and ease of use...otherwise, no. The environment, while important, is just not at the top of my "I'm Concerned about..." list.

Well in terms of ease of use then its just a matter of changing your ignition timeing to use bio ethonol, how long is that going to take all of 10 mins. Comes out the pump just like "gas".

From this i gather that you believe that God will save us all from over explotation of the earth's resources and global warming?

Well everything has a price, there are some definate advantages, you could get your farmers to grow your fuel, means less grain mountains and more useful production, which intern means less subsadies = less tax. It does cost more and i know you dont like anything that affects fuel prices.

So where do you stand on kyoto bav?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:34 AM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Based on this:

"Kyoto is determined to devote all its energies to preserving the global environment." from <here>, I would have to "argue" that if one has the slightest belief in God, this effort, (again while valiant and important) is like attempting to swim across the Atlantic Ocean without any help. Doomed for death.

My view is that my efforts in preservation should be placed in human preservation rather than planetary...if you get my drift.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:55 AM   #5
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Based on this:

"Kyoto is determined to devote all its energies to preserving the global environment." from <here>, I would have to "argue" that if one has the slightest belief in God, this effort, (again while valiant and important) is like attempting to swim across the Atlantic Ocean without any help. Doomed for death.

My view is that my efforts in preservation should be placed in human preservation rather than planetary...if you get my drift.

So move us all to mars when we wear this place out?
Old 06-17-2004, 04:08 AM   #6
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Im tellin you man, its going to hybrids, then electric/fuel cell cars.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:54 AM   #7
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Im tellin you man, its going to hybrids, then electric/fuel cell cars.

It may well be the case but what are we going to do with all those cars that we love when we run out of fuel, surely growing the fuel which gives us a net carbon emission of 0 is a good idea?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:19 AM   #8
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
We have about 25 years of oil left and thats optermistic with the current chinese economic growth, so what do you think to alternative and more efficent cars?

25 years left of oil? Who is this "we"? Is that UK or the entire world? Where do people get off trying to predict the end of oil? Check this out. I'd have to agree highly with Bav. Most people are'nt exactly looking forward to fighting the war for the preservation of the world...more the preservation of their own ass. Even if gas were to skyrocket to $6USD a gallon, I highly doubt people would be converting to Bio Ethonol. There would just be more people driving Hybrid cars and less people in SUV's and big V10,V12 sports cars. But if converting my car to use Ethonol is as easy as getting a chip to plug into my ECU and a few tubs of rubbing alcohol to get my car going count me in.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:07 PM   #9
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
25 years left of oil? Who is this "we"? Is that UK or the entire world? Where do people get off trying to predict the end of oil? Check this out. I'd have to agree highly with Bav. Most people are'nt exactly looking forward to fighting the war for the preservation of the world...more the preservation of their own ass. Even if gas were to skyrocket to $6USD a gallon, I highly doubt people would be converting to Bio Ethonol. There would just be more people driving Hybrid cars and less people in SUV's and big V10,V12 sports cars. But if converting my car to use Ethonol is as easy as getting a chip to plug into my ECU and a few tubs of rubbing alcohol to get my car going count me in.

Well suposedly the whole world, i know you have to take it with a pinch of salt, but the oil companies keep reducing the estimated quanities of there reserves and demand keeps going up. Not sure if you have any dealings with the steel industry but china is sucking up the steel suplys and i have been told that its similar with oil.

Whats this about sky rocket thats normal prices over here!

Do they still add lead to the fuel in the usa?

Well if you think about it, then the constiuants of ethanol are the same as gasoline/petroleum (using full words becuase im going to start talking about gas as in methane in a min)

The high performance motors often use methanol, they have been adding ethanol to fuel for years in south america because its cheap.

The problem is that it is more expensive than straight pumped and processed fuel in developed countrys as the farmers and processers want more cash.

but its good becuase the standard pumps and infrastructure are resent to deal with it, just emans no refinaries in there current form and proceing plants instead.

But if you think about it in terms of carbon cycle then its great stuff, because you grow the crop, taking carbon out of the atmosphere, gets processed, then you brun it and the carbon is released, grow more crop and captured again. Its basically the closest thing to liquid sunlight.

LPG (liquid petroleum gas) and CNG (compressed natural gas propane/methane mix) are still both fossil fuels but they are waste products and ussally burnt off on the rigs and refinaries so its good to use them if were going to contunue to use fossil fuels.

No one has yet talked about diesels?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

No our fuel is unleaded and about 2.19 a gallon.. I feel bad if you gotta pay 6 bucks for gas thats pretty bad, but you live in the UK where they have those tiny ass compacts like the Toyota Vitz looking thingys.. Um shit you lost me in all the chemical names, its 7Am in da morning and I hav'nt been to sleep yet. Uh yeah my advanced Chem teacher keeps telling me Ethanol is only like a few molecules away from gasoline or something like that. I have no idea, I think it would take a little more that just ignition timing. What about fuel injectors and air:fuel. Is the 14.7:1 Air to Fuel ratio still the same in Ethanol? diesel is always out there, no one needs to talk about it. You can get you a diesel VW, BMW, or what have you... I don't see it as an alternative to gas because of the nature of diesel engines.. People are fickle and unfamiliar with them, you fail to forget that more that 60% of drivers in America don't know alot about cars, thats why we have so many Automatic Trannys. People over here don't have the same passion for cars as they do in Europe and Asia, not to mention we are lazy...

Old 06-17-2004, 02:14 PM   #11
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
LPG (liquid petroleum gas) and CNG (compressed natural gas propane/methane mix) are still both fossil fuels but they are waste products and ussally burnt off on the rigs and refinaries so its good to use them if were going to contunue to use fossil fuels.

First of all, it's LP not LPG.

Secondly are you bored as hell or what for starting this crap?

Thirdly If I ever pull up to a pump and find out there no gas anywhere I'm going to kick your ass.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:19 PM   #12
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67

Thirdly If I ever pull up to a pump and find out there no gas anywhere I'm going to kick your ass.

Now thats a funny one..

Old 06-17-2004, 04:38 PM   #13
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67

Its LPG here!

IF you carry on using fossil fuels you wont have a chance to how you goin to get here.

I got my eco freindly hat on today.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:25 PM   #14
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

I'm waiting till Mr. Fusion hits the market.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:37 PM   #15
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
I'm waiting till Mr. Fusion hits the market.

It already has, as long as you ccan fit the sun under your bonnet your well away!