Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #16
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Hey Hobo, you used to live here in Pinellas about 20-30 years ago? You remember Sunshine Speedway by any chance, where they did stock car racing and it was an old drag strip?
I've raced at Sunshine on both the dragstrip and the oval, including figure-8's. I even remember when the dragstrip was still run as a 1/4 mile, but it pissed off the horses at the top end. Then enough cars didn't get stopped before crossing 688 so they made it an 1/8th mile. Of course, back then 688 was only two lanes with no overpass.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #17
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I've raced at Sunshine on both the dragstrip and the oval, including figure-8's. I even remember when the dragstrip was still run as a 1/4 mile, but it pissed off the horses at the top end. Then enough cars didn't get stopped before crossing 688 so they made it an 1/8th mile. Of course, back then 688 was only two lanes with no overpass.
Now thats interesting, did you know that they sold it for a couple million to put in a new highway? Its sad, most of my memories are with my grammpa racing his stock cars there and going over the wall once , had to sell it a couple weeks ago and now the old man just goes on the interstate and floors it.

Do you know any other areas like Sunshine except for the dirt track in Bradenton I believe?

Last edited by 99integra : 04-16-2006 at 02:28 PM.
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #18
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Now thats interesting, did you know that they sold it for a couple million to put in a new highway? Its sad, most of my memories are with my grammpa racing his stock cars there and going over the wall once , had to sell it a couple weeks ago and now the old cook just goes on the interstate and floors it.

Do you know any other areas like Sunshine except for the dirt track in Bradenton I believe?
Yeah, my mom sends me all the articles from the St Pete Times about the closure. I had a lot of good memories of the track too. It's a shame to see it leveled for a freaking road.

The closest paved ovals I know of to you are DeSoto, Auburndale and Lakeland all of which also have dragstrips as I recall and East Bay still has the dirt oval. With the crush of people and the rising value of real estate, I don't expect those to last much longer either. Just one more reason that I'll never live in Florida again.

Did I ever mention that I have six dragstrips, three dirt ovals, two paved ovals, two motocross tracks and a road course all within 50 miles of my house? You can have the condos and beaches, I'll stay here.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #19
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Yeah, my mom sends me all the articles from the St Pete Times about the closure. I had a lot of good memories of the track too. It's a shame to see it leveled for a freaking road.

The closest paved ovals I know of to you are DeSoto, Auburndale and Lakeland all of which also have dragstrips as I recall and East Bay still has the dirt oval. With the crush of people and the rising value of real estate, I don't expect those to last much longer either. Just one more reason that I'll never live in Florida again.

Did I ever mention that I have six dragstrips, three dirt ovals, two paved ovals, two motocross tracks and a road course all within 50 miles of my house? You can have the condos and beaches, I'll stay here.

wow.....

hopefully someone finds out where you live, im curious as hell now

edit, thought you were gonna say all that stuff was on your property, haha

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
wow.....

hopefully someone finds out where you live, im curious as hell now

edit, thought you were gonna say all that stuff was on your property, haha
No, all I have on my property is a small motocross track, an FMX area and a small oval for karts.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #21
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:

Damn shame, when you said East Bay are you talking about the road East Bay in Largo, cause thats just a big stretch of traffic hell
Old 04-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #22
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Damn shame, when you said East Bay are you talking about the road East Bay in Largo, cause thats just a big stretch of traffic hell
No, East Bay Raceway in Tampa.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #23
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
No, East Bay Raceway in Tampa.
Ok now I know what you mean, I was gonna say East Bay is just a main road
Old 04-16-2006, 11:51 PM   #24
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
a lot of ignorant dumb muscleheads (not old school muscle, but 4th gen F body muscle) don't want us "ricerz" on the track. It's quite sad really. But whatever, I had fun, I didn't blow my "VTAK"(or an axle), and that's all that matters.
I want "ricerz" on the track because it takes them off of the street. Not saying I haven't done some stupid stuff, or that I never will again, but I always see the import guys trying to race in traffic.

On a side note I hope to make my first trip to the dragstrip this Saturday, at Lebanon Valley. Stock (except for a pair of M/T E.T. Streets) automatic 2000 Camaro SS with a newbie racer and my dad sitting shotgun for the first race or two. Any predictions?

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:00 AM   #25
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Quote:
Hey Hobo, you used to live here in Pinellas about 20-30 years ago? You remember Sunshine Speedway by any chance, where they did stock car racing and it was an old drag strip?

20-30 years? I didn't think hobo was any older than 30

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:02 AM   #26
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag
20-30 years? I didn't think hobo was any older than 30
He is.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 AM   #27
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I believe some where he said 40 somethin years old
Old 04-17-2006, 12:10 AM   #28
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Hum, I guess that means I learned something today.

In that case its time for bed.

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:50 AM   #29
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
I believe some where he said 40 somethin years old
It was like 47 or something lol...