Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #31
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
In general, I'd rather build it myself than buy "off the rack." And the only new cars I really wanted cost more than a house... Since '01, I've been a family man, and the money goes to more practical things (though I have a small account set up for my Comet project, which I've wanted to finish for over a decade). I simply like cheaper, older projects. For the cost of an '02 Camaro, I'd rather builda V8 RX7 and have money left over. For the cost of a new Mustang GT, I'd rather build a 460 powered Pinto. And have a ton of money left over for vacations and things like a hot tub for the house.
I feel the same way.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #32
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

I guess that's something I'll learn when I get older;

Family>Job>House>Project Car

I'd gladly trade in my little brother for a '02 camaro SS.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #33
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Dude, in 2002 I was newly married an buying a house. So my family got the PT (traded in my wife's Beretta).

Serioulsy, new cars cost a ton, so I've had very few. The SVT was the only new car I bought when single and making good money (and had to rent, so i din't have a place to work on project cars). The rest where when I was either spending all my real money on my shop, or on a mortgage. (well, the '96 Splash was bought new, as I needed a reliable small truck for work, and I already had the 911 and the V8 RX7 at the time).

In general, I'd rather build it myself than buy "off the rack." And the only new cars I really wanted cost more than a house... Since '01, I've been a family man, and the money goes to more practical things (though I have a small account set up for my Comet project, which I've wanted to finish for over a decade). I simply like cheaper, older projects. For the cost of an '02 Camaro, I'd rather builda V8 RX7 and have money left over. For the cost of a new Mustang GT, I'd rather build a 460 powered Pinto. And have a ton of money left over for vacations and things like a hot tub for the house.

Point well taken. I guess I'm just so used to seeing my father in and out of newer cars. He has his older ones like the 67 Firebird(which I got Jewed out of because it was deemed unsafe for me) or the 69 Mustang, but he likes to try the new inventions out. He recently bought a 745iL and to my surprise he sold it in 4 months for a Mercedes E-Class. I guess he's into the newer in innovations of cars. The newer technology of European sedans and Japanese sports cars. Not to mention American Pony cars and the Corvette. I enjoy an older car just as much as the new guy but no matter how good you build an older car they just don't feel like newer ones.

But you own about 6-8 cars at once as opposed to 2 or 3. I'm sure that if the number of cars you owned decreased to 1 or 2 they would probably be alot nicer and or newer..

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:52 PM   #34
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE most newer cars, and can enjoy al of them. But I see no reason to go into debt to have a depreciating toy.

If I had the cash, I'd have a couple nice, new cars, as WELL as ones I built myself. But even though I would't mind a new Mini Cooper S or Mustang GT, I'm not going to take out a loan to buy one. And I can't afford a new Aston or Ford GT...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #35
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I LIKE most newer cars, and can enjoy al of them. But I see no reason to go into debt to have a depreciating toy.

If I had the cash, I'd have a couple nice, new cars, as WELL as ones I built myself. But even though I would't mind a new Mini Cooper S or Mustang GT, I'm not going to take out a loan to buy one. And I can't afford a new Aston or Ford GT...

I'd kill for a new GT40. Somone, please ask me to kill for a GT40 . That for a Modena 360. I've never seen a more beautiful car.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #36
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
I guess I'm just so used to seeing my father in and out of newer cars. He recently bought a 745iL and to my surprise he sold it in 4 months for a Mercedes E-Class. I guess he's into the newer in innovations of cars.

I forgot to mention. My dad was a schoolteacher. When he retired in '85, his annual salary had gotten up to $25k a year. The only new car he ever bught was the '61 renault 4CV he and my mom bought when they were first married (they still have that car). he loves cars and hot rods, and I inhereted a huge collection of car magazines from him going back to the '50s. But we never had any money for cars. My first car was a '62 Comet I got from my grandfather and then a Pinto I got for free.

My dad's cars have never cost more than $2k, and they were free or damn close if he could get them.

I've actually paid for my folk's mortgage every month for the last 15 years. My dad has a degenerative disease called Post Polio Syndrome that actually gets worse the more you use your muscles...

Oh, and me, I'd rather get a $10k '95 740i than a $100k '05 745i... Glad your dad can afford it, though...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:15 AM   #37
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
I forgot to mention. My dad was a schoolteacher. When he retired in '85, his annual salary had gotten up to $25k a year. The only new car he ever bught was the '61 renault 4CV he and my mom bought when they were first married (they still have that car). he loves cars and hot rods, and I inhereted a huge collection of car magazines from him going back to the '50s. But we never had any money for cars. My first car was a '62 Comet I got from my grandfather and then a Pinto I got for free.

My dad's cars have never cost more than $2k, and they were free or damn close if he could get them.

I've actually paid for my folk's mortgage every month for the last 15 years. My dad has a degenerative disease called Post Polio Syndrome that actually gets worse the more you use your muscles...

Oh, and me, I'd rather get a $10k '95 740i than a $100k '05 745i... Glad your dad can afford it, though...

Bah, I hardly doubt he purchased a $100K 7-series. Although I don't know the exact price of the car, Iím almost assertive it didnít cost more than $60K. Heís only a Master Mechanic for the local public transportation agency. While he doesnít actually do any more physical work, more so of the watching over the younger guys, I still highly doubt he has enough income to purchase a brand new 05` 745iL. I could probably, almost, equate his work to some of yours in your younger years. Again, thatís only one of his two cars. It would be just as easy to afford 2 cars with $40K as it would to afford 8 with $40K.

Unlike you, he doesnít have the time to work on project cars anymore. Nor does he any longer own a house, which probably explains where the extra money comes from. Living in a condo sacrifices your garage and your nicer cars have to face the elements. So whichever way you look at it he lives the life of an average Mechanic/Automotive enthusiast.