Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
Unibrow
CF Newbie

Question Need Help with Used Cars.

Hello,
I am glad to have found this forum! I have been searching for a car forum with people that actually know something about them (because I sure as hell do not know much!). I am in the process of looking for a used car to purchase and then use primarily for trips back and forth to school for my senior year. I then hope to use the car during college after my freshmen year. I have been using AutoTrader.com to locate a car, and have come up with several probable buys. I am looking for a car that is located near the zipcode of 01960, is a sedan, V6 engine (no more, no less), automatic transmission, less then $5000 ($4000 or less if possible), and is reliable.
1994 Pontiac Bonneville SE
1995 Nissan Maxima
1993 Nissan Maxima GXE
I chose these cars because they meet the above specifications, appear to be reasonably priced, are local, and are actually appealing! Now, what I would like to know is how you guys feel these cars are in terms of efficiency, and reliability. I did note that the Pontiac does have rather high mileage, but I left it on the list because it's a one owner, private seller deal. Also, if there are car brands/models I should look at, please do tell me. I appreciate your input and thank you in advance!
Unibrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra

i personally would go with the GXE, its only got 87k miles while the other 2 have 60-70k more miles. the maxima also looks alot nicer than the bonneville (which is in fact ugly as hell). not to mention, much better power to weight ratio than the cow of a bonneville.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
Unibrow
CF Newbie

Thank you so much for the prompt response! I have found an additional car, a Honda Accord. In comparison to the 1993 Maxima, is it worth it to go for the Accord because of slightly better fuel efficiency? The Maxima is: (City/Highway) 19/26MPG, whereas the Accord is: 24/30MPG. However, the tradeoff is that the Maxima is more powerful (160HP to 124HP). I am not looking for a muscle car obviously, but I want to be able to drive comfortably and be able to change lanes and pass on the highway comfortably as well. Finally, in terms of reliablity, which do you believe is of higher quality? (From my understanding, both are of great reliablity). The link for the Accord is here:
1990 Honda Accord LX
Once again, thank you for your input and fast response time!
Unibrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
Inygknok
El del Supra

doesnt say the mileage of the accord..... but well.....
more power does usually mean less mpg... unless u mod the car a bit which will help with fuel efficiency if u add the correct upgrades and use the car appropiately. u could throw the money u will save from the maxima and throw them into the accord to get a few mods to get the equivalent hp as the maxima. u could ask a good welder to weld up a custom 2.5" exhaust pipe and buy a good muffler on ebay so u dont spend too much money (seeing as in ur not trying to spend alot, this will do the job). also an intake filter, which dont cost much (specially on ebay :P). u can also buy something called a Tornado which has proven to increase fuel efficiency and add some ponies n they come off for very cheap.

anyhow, they are both very reliable, so i wouldnt know which one to go with with just that factor. the maxima is stronger and looks better imo, but u can add the above mentioned mods to equal the maxima and MOST surely increase efficiency of the accord, along with power.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:45 PM   #5
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Forget the honda man, try to get the newest car possible (imo).

1995 Mazda 626 (V6 version) is another one you should consider. See the link.
The Mazda has better mileage than the Maxima, nearly equal power, and great reliability. See if you can find one in your area.

EDIT: I found one using cars.com. Look here. The link may not work sometimes, if it doesnt, just go to cars.com and look for used cars. You should be able to see it on autotrader too. Its a '98, $4.3k, 103xxx miles, auto, v6, etc.

Last edited by importluva : 06-19-2004 at 11:49 PM.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote