Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
davsmitty
CF Addict

VW project car

All right, Ive been wanting a smaller 'run-around' car for a few years now. The fuel prices have hit me fairly hard this last year and i was thinking about building up an old VW Karman Gia that's been sitting at a lot for as long as I can remember. IF I were to build this car, I would want to use a small 4cyld engine (preferably diesel) that would be fairly easy to fit into the engine bay. My question is about VW engines and diesle engines in general.
1. Did VW build many small 4cyld diesel engines and would any of them be easily built into the Karman Gia.
2. Are there any exisiting or conceptual 2-cycle diesel engines made for passenger vehicles? I have been looking at the designe of 2-cycle engines and the method seems perfect for a diesel engine.

please post if you have any information or oppinion on the car idea or the engines themselves.

thanks
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #2
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
The fuel prices have hit me fairly hard this last year
Ummmm diesel is more expensive than regular gas right now

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
Ummmm diesel is more expensive than regular gas right now
but you can get more miles to the gallon (depending of its condition)
vw did make 4cyl diesels, but as far as im aware, im sure you can get one to fit the ghia!!!
i dont know if the newer diesels would fit??? but they did have good ones in the transporter!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The main issue is that you could go tens of thousnads of miles on the cost differnce of swapping in the diesel vs building a normal air cooled VW engine, especialy considering diesel costs more. it might be cool, but...

The VW flat four is only 2 cylinders long, meaning there isn't much room for the length of an inline 4 back there. If you were to mount it transversely, you have to remember that the VW diesel (or really most FWD diesels) sit ahead of the front wheel centerline in their stock applications, so would sit ahead of the rear wheels in a Ghia, putting it in the passenger compartment with you. That woudl mean completely restructuring not only the inner body, but making an entire new frame and rear suspension.

If you do go with an inline diesel hooked up to a stock type transaxle, you should look into the engines in the Vanagon diesels. If you get a crashed diesel Vanagon and swap the entire drivetrain (the diesels use different gear ratios in the transaxles) you should have most parts necessary. You will have to fab up a radiator and cooling system, and of course, you need to make sure teh fuel system is ready for diesel. You're going to have to fab up motor mounts, as teh air cooled VW engine simply hangs off the transaxle, where the longer diesel need rearmost mounts (at the "front" of the engine, where the timing belt and accessory drive belts are).

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
davsmitty
CF Addict

thanks chris, that helps. i have no complaints with cutting and custom fabrication, the car body will probly only cost ~200US, i seriously doubt if there is any fuctioning hardware in it.
How would the Ghia be with just a reg flat four? I know the old VW's lasted forever and were fairly easy on gas, but i want a little more power than they seemed to have and i need the vehicle to last.
Can you get me a link to the engine you suggested?

Thanks
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote