Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
geercom
CF Newbie

Want to get air cond working

I have an A/C compressor that my mechanic tells me can't be recharged because it needs replaced. How can I make sure that's true, and if not, recharge it myself, or if so, replace it myself?

This is the 97 buick skylark custom, 4 door
geercom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by geercom
I have an A/C compressor that my mechanic tells me can't be recharged because it needs replaced. How can I make sure that's true, and if not, recharge it myself, or if so, replace it myself?

This is the 97 buick skylark custom, 4 door

tough to answer - is the clutch messed up, is the compressor locked up, ask for the reason it needs to be replaced and his head and suction pressures he measured when diagnosing the system - then, I can tell you more.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I know a lot of people that always think mechanics are ripping them off. Most of the mechanics I know are honest guys. I think people assume they're being taken because they know they could be taken. Think about it, you're not buying something like a snow shovel. Mechanics have to depend that you'll bring your car back to them several times a year and recommend them to your friends. A truly unscrupulous mechanic shop would fold fast. Sure, I'm sure a lot of people's grandmother's hae been charged for refiling the blinker fluid, but more often than not people are accusing an honest person.

I don't know about other people, but if a customer started reaally grilling me, asking for pressure readings, I'd show them the door. I would take it personally when somebody who knows little about cars and thus has no evidence starts accusing me of trying to steal.

I'd get a second opinion and take it from there. Don't go randomly accusing, but don't be a sucker.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I know a lot of people that always think mechanics are ripping them off. Most of the mechanics I know are honest guys. I think people assume they're being taken because they know they could be taken. Think about it, you're not buying something like a snow shovel. Mechanics have to depend that you'll bring your car back to them several times a year and recommend them to your friends. A truly unscrupulous mechanic shop would fold fast. Sure, I'm sure a lot of people's grandmother's hae been charged for refiling the blinker fluid, but more often than not people are accusing an honest person.

I don't know about other people, but if a customer started reaally grilling me, asking for pressure readings, I'd show them the door. I would take it personally when somebody who knows little about cars and thus has no evidence starts accusing me of trying to steal.

I'd get a second opinion and take it from there. Don't go randomly accusing, but don't be a sucker.

Most shops are honest.

The only way I could answer a question such as how do I know if an AC compressor needs to be replaced is to look @ the head and suction pressures or understand what failed. I can't give a good opinion without knowing some facts.

If asked in the respectful way such "Please help me better understand the reason I need to buy a new compressor...", most folks will try to help you understand and not think you are accusing them of stealing.

Your point is a good point.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote