Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2003, 03:50 AM   #1
lemans69

painting an engine block with spray paint good or not?

i have a 400 in my 69 pontiac and it is a little rusty and i want to know if it will look good or not if i spray paint the engine block.what types of stuff will i have to do to prepare for spary painting it?like cleaning.how many coats?stuff like that.i am not planning on taking it out. i was just planning on getting what i can through the top like by where the water pump is and by the intake manifold.[/b] ? ?
Old 03-18-2003, 03:59 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Prep of the block will be the same as for any other type of painting, clean clean clean. Don't go on heavy, a few light coats should do the trick. Several manufacturers make spray paint specifically for this purpose and come in various colors, even some factory colors. My personal preference is VHT, available at your local car parts store. If you want to go cheap you can get by with 99 cent stuff from Wal-Mart, just dont expect it to last. Good luck!

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote