Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #31
Wally
I Know More Than You

We talking rod/stroke ratios?

Long rod the piston dwells longer at TDC and shorter at BDC
Short rod the piston dwells shorter at TDC and longer at BDC

If you are talking bore/stroke ratios you need to consider rod angles, reciprocating mass, sidewall loading. For a same capacity engine a larger bore will result in a shorter stroke, making it more capable of higher revs and horsepower, but with poor low end volumetric efficiency a low torque one at lower revs.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #32
dano
CF Newbie

big bore vs long stroke is something that people have been considering for a long time. it is true that a larger bore winds the rpms faster, thus making theese engines perfect for turbos and blowers. long stroke combined with a large cam can create huge low end torque, but wind up more slowly and should keep the revs lower. that is what the import vs domestic battle is about. the imports with higher revs and artificial atmosphere getting into the powerband quickly, where as the domestic muscle cars start out in the powerband. the import wars are real because the big names all use the newest tech. to power thier low weight, mild torque, high hp engines. just like the domestic muscle wars of the 60s and 70s with high torque, high hp, high weight cars.

as for what kind of car is the best, that is up to the driver, but personally the fastest car i have driven was an 88 cougar xr-7, not what most picture as a muscle car, but with a slightly built 5.0, AOD w/shif tkit, and a 3.08 posi out back it could hold its own against mustangs snd camaroes as well as the imports.

but nothing can beat the sound of a wide open big block with open headers
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:04 AM   #33
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
We talking rod/stroke ratios?

Long rod the piston dwells longer at TDC and shorter at BDC
Short rod the piston dwells shorter at TDC and longer at BDC

If you are talking bore/stroke ratios you need to consider rod angles, reciprocating mass, sidewall loading. For a same capacity engine a larger bore will result in a shorter stroke, making it more capable of higher revs and horsepower, but with poor low end volumetric efficiency a low torque one at lower revs.

Yea, how do you do and and whats the advantage
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:01 PM   #34
88CarloKid
CF Newbie

Import Vs. American Muscle

There is only one problem with this thread. The definition of "American Muscle" has completely changed. Things went from the unique, all power look, to this curved family car look. I am willing to bet that if Chevy, GM, or Pontiac remade their original muscle cars that many people would buy them.

As I have heard many other people say that they like certain cars because it is cheap and easy to make them powerful. You can do that with almost any car if you did the right things. I guess I just miss that timeless look of a good muscle car.
88CarloKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:42 AM   #35
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Now there's a question, do people want the power more, or the looks more? According to car market research, they want both, but that doesn't mean remake the cars exactly as they were.

Quote:
I am willing to bet that if Chevy, GM, or Pontiac remade their original muscle cars that many people would buy them.

Negative. They were generally horrible crashers, and weighed a lot, and weren't as fast as a lot of people boast them to be. Their gasd mileage was horrible, and their chassis were made of steel. It's not a practical car. That's why Ford came out with the retro look mustang. It's cheap, and powerful, and has the looks of the classic mustangs.

Technically, Chevy and GM are recreating the classic cars with today's emission standards, acceptable crash ratings, and even more power.

There's more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Last edited by Godlaus : 06-09-2005 at 02:44 AM.
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:52 AM   #36
civisi99
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
Someone help me... I LOVE asian cars because I think they can be made very fast cleaply,, but domestics V8s with like 300ci engines make hella hp and torque and if you put a blower on it, it can make 800hp easily.. I HATE DOMeSTICS BECAUSE IM ASIAN but domestics are fast but i gottta REPRESENT.

never heard of a 300 cubic inch engine.....and never heard of a 300 cubic inch engine putting out over 800hp easy with a blower on it....i had a 3rd gen camaro z28 i put a vortec sc on it and a blower...and i was pushing 590 to the wheels.....and why hate domestics.....and represent what? being asian?....when people look at your car they dont distinguish what you drive with your nationality....they distinguish it with your personality. I drive a import now but i love domestic cars....nothing wrong with either...
civisi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #37
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by civisi99
never heard of a 300 cubic inch engine.....and never heard of a 300 cubic inch engine putting out over 800hp easy with a blower on it....i had a 3rd gen camaro z28 i put a vortec sc on it and a blower...and i was pushing 590 to the wheels.....and why hate domestics.....and represent what? being asian?....when people look at your car they dont distinguish what you drive with your nationality....they distinguish it with your personality. I drive a import now but i love domestic cars....nothing wrong with either...

....I would like to point outsomething that makes no sense to me....

If you had a Vortech supercharger...you mind telling me how you got a blower on there too??? A supercharger is just a small scale blower, so how in the hell did you get both? Its an impossibility
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #38
desertsoldier22
CF Newbie

A blower is a supercharger, same thing
desertsoldier22 is offline   Reply With Quote