Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2005, 04:29 PM   #91
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
Ok everyone. From where we live to downtown NOLA, it is a straight shot. Few tiny curves but that's it. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt and he was driving fast, but when I saw him go 105 I asked him to slow down a few moments later. He did indeed slow down to 85. He is a safe driver. He does what's asked of him.

You said he "never" wears his seatblet and your'e starting not to, as well. Bad idea for teh reasons I mentioned. The fact he tends to drive fast, and you kind of want to reinforced how bad an idea not wearing the seatbelt is. Without the seatbelt, you are using the steering wheel not to steer, but to support yourself, even going around street corners (don't tell me you don't have those down there...).

Listen, don't justify your actions. Learn from them, and learn from those of use with much more experience than you OR your boyfriend.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #92
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

I have a lot of friends who street race. Ive heard a lot of them talk about how they almost get into an accident; they make it sound like bragging. In Vancouver, there are alot of people who street race and overestimate themselves and then wrap their car around a pole or have it flip and roll down a block. Thankfully, none of my friends have been in an accident, but if they keep on street racing; they probaly will eventually fatal or not. I'm just trying to make a point; if you want to drive fast, save it for the track, or go on a back road where its empty, then you won't be able to harm anyone. And always wear your seatbelt; life is too precious to waste just because you think seatbelts are for wussies, or because you just feel like you want to go fast.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 PM   #93
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
You said he "never" wears his seatblet and your'e starting not to, as well. Bad idea for teh reasons I mentioned. The fact he tends to drive fast, and you kind of want to reinforced how bad an idea not wearing the seatbelt is. Without the seatbelt, you are using the steering wheel not to steer, but to support yourself, even going around street corners (don't tell me you don't have those down there...).

Listen, don't justify your actions. Learn from them, and learn from those of use with much more experience than you OR your boyfriend.
What do you mean he's using the steering wheel to support himself?

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:24 PM   #94
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
What do you mean he's using the steering wheel to support himself?
The more you type, the more obvious it becomes that you are entirely without a clue. Please stop and desist before we all start losing IQ points.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:32 PM   #95
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
The more you type, the more obvious it becomes that you are entirely without a clue.
Well no shit. Now I asked a simple question and I'd like for it to be explained.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #96
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Well no shit. Now I asked a simple question and I'd like for it to be explained.
I don't know if anyone here has the ability to explain it to you if you can't figure it out on your own... It's that simple. Maybe you should go spend some time on www.cluelesslittlegirls.com .

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 10-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #97
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:

well, i'll take a stab at explaining it...being that it's simple physics.

When you take a corner at higher speeds, you can feel yourself moving one way or the other, and if the movement is sharp enough, then the seatbelt lock should engage, holding you in place. If that is not there, then you only have one thing to stop you from being crushed against the door, or sitting in the passengers lap - and that's to grip the steering wheel, which would cause issues with your driving.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #98
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Thank you Jeff

Old 10-28-2005, 06:29 PM   #99
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
well, i'll take a stab at explaining it...being that it's simple physics.

When you take a corner at higher speeds, you can feel yourself moving one way or the other, and if the movement is sharp enough, then the seatbelt lock should engage, holding you in place. If that is not there, then you only have one thing to stop you from being crushed against the door, or sitting in the passengers lap - and that's to grip the steering wheel, which would cause issues with your driving.

Basically. As G forces move you around in your seat, it's your arms that are holding you in place (unless you can clench your buttcheeks enough to hold on to the fabric of the seat). So while trying to steer and stay in control of the car, you are using your arm strength to keep you upright in front of the steering wheel, and that plays hell with your ability to react and control.

Let me guess, Cera's boyfriend tends to sit more upright when going fast and almost hunches over the steering wheel so that he doesn't have to hold on with both hands? How does he hold his hands?

As an aside, I know a guy who drove into a tree, and launched through the windsheild because as he was going around a corner fast, he slid to the passenger side of the car, where there are no steering wheels or brakes...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #100
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

I cant really explain it. He uses one hand only. He rests his wrist on the top of the steering wheel and using his finger to grip the bottom. He sits kinda relaxed with the seat back.

I have an 8 second clip of him driving fast down a back road. I'll upload it tonight on the faster comp and you can see yourself.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #101
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I cant really explain it. He uses one hand only. He rests his wrist on the top of the steering wheel and using his finger to grip the bottom. He sits kinda relaxed with the seat back.
Say, he is a good driver. Why didn't you explain that earlier.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #102
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

That was my second guess. How much control YOU think he has with his WRIST and a finger? And he says he's a good driver. Sorry, but gotta call BS on that one.A hand directly at the top or directly at the bottom is a hand NOT in control of teh steering wheel. Hands should be even at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock, or slightly lower, thumbs pointing upwards on the face of the rim (not hooked over the spokes). Wrist over the top is dangerous poseur driving, period.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #103
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

I dont think I've ever seen Jeromy drive like that.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #104
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

That's because he "thinks" he's a good driver because he hasn't killed anyone yet.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #105
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
That's because he "thinks" he's a good driver because he hasn't killed anyone yet.
Hey buddy! WTF gives you the right to be so judgemental? He's a good driver and he does what he's told to. I know because a 16 year old girl said so. On top of that he has probably TWO YEARS driving experience, maybe three. He won't crash because the road is almost straight. What are you thinking?

I suggest you just mind your own business and let the concept of death by stupidity take over, you know, natural selection. The world will be a better place. Just imagine what will happen if they're allowed to breed.